Site Notices
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
Posted: 11/10/2010 1:27:00 PM
Hey guys im kind of new here even though ive been a member for a few years. I just wanted to get your opinions. I really want to get the nickel boron plated bcg from spikes tactical ($225). I personally think its worth it but has anybody had any experience with it? Is it worth it? Ive heard it helps stop jamming. How does it compare to a chrome bcg or even the stock one you get with the rifle? Keep in mind I dont have an AR yet but am selling my sks to get one, so I want to order a kit from Del-ton minus the bolt carrier group and order the nickel boron one from spikes. Let me know, I could really use some opinions especially since im new to AR's. Thanks
jerz_subbie
It's nice to live in a free state!
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 1:57:36 PM
A standard BCM BCG will work just fine. I run one in all but 1 of my rifles. My other rifle has a YM NM chromed BCG and the only benefit I see is it's easier to clean but I purposely clean my weapons seldom. A NiB BCG will make cleaning easier and has higher lubricity(requires less lube). Check out 87GN's blog for a nice little review on Spike's NiB.
"When will the economy get better?" When you start spending!
WMurderface
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 1:59:15 PM
Originally Posted By bantis:
Hey guys im kind of new here even though ive been a member for a few years. I just wanted to get your opinions. I really want to get the nickel boron plated bcg from spikes tactical ($225). I personally think its worth it but has anybody had any experience with it? Is it worth it? Ive heard it helps stop jamming. How does it compare to a chrome bcg or even the stock one you get with the rifle? Keep in mind I dont have an AR yet but am selling my sks to get one, so I want to order a kit from Del-ton minus the bolt carrier group and order the nickel boron one from spikes. Let me know, I could really use some opinions especially since im new to AR's. Thanks

false
Sig_Prude
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 2:02:01 PM

I don't see how it would help prevent jams. If your AR is jamming, something else is wrong, like it needs to be cleaned for instance, or needs to eat healthier ammo, or is made of sub-standard parts, or needs to be cleaned...oh I think may have already mentioned the cleaning part...

"Keep your friends close and your enemies deader."
FrankSL
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 8:14:29 PM
[Last Edit: 11/11/2010 3:50:51 PM by FrankSL]
Why do some of the more innovative players in the industry use chrome or some "shiny" variant on their bolt carrier groups?

Knights (at least the SR-25 does)
LWRC
HK 416
POF
add LaRue's OBR to this list
etc
Melendez402
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 8:32:15 PM
[Last Edit: 11/11/2010 7:50:24 AM by Melendez402]
For me it's a waste of money, but whatever floats your boat.
Primos
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 11:50:42 PM
Originally Posted By FrankSL:
Why do some of the more innovative players in the industry use chrome or some "shiny" variant on their bolt carrier groups?

LWRC
HK 416
POF
etc

The same reason most of those companies use primative op-rod systems on their guns: because they sell.

You don't need a gimmicky coating to have a gun run properly.
justin_schuyler
Stamp Collector
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:17:57 AM
If you ever plan on aquiring a suppressor they are a godsend.
Pick a side. Start a war.
bantis
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:29:01 AM
So basically I should just buy a normal bcg and make sure that it is clean and lubed?
utah81
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 7:42:52 AM
Clean and lubed will work just fine.
Gregory_K
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 7:55:29 AM
So basically I should just buy a normal bcg and make sure that it is clean and lubed?

Yep.
Melendez402
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 7:57:29 AM
[Last Edit: 11/11/2010 8:00:57 AM by Melendez402]
yhaa! like it should be done. Now go to the top of the page and click on the Bravo Company logo and buy one of their BCG's and with the extra money you were going to waste on that other BCG you can now spend it on P-Mags and Ammo

FrankSL
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 8:15:27 AM
Originally Posted By Primos:
Originally Posted By FrankSL:

LWRC
HK 416
POF
etc

The same reason most of those companies use primative op-rod systems on their guns: because they sell.

You don't need a gimmicky coating to have a gun run properly.

pistons and cylinders in car engines should just have a phosphate finish

The bolt carrier and buffer are the only true moving parts in a DI AR. Why wouldn't you want them to have inherent lubricity?
SafetyFirst
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 9:26:09 AM
Why not call Spikes and for an upgrade charge of $75.00 order your AR from Spikes with the Boron/Nickel upgrade? That's what I did.
ggee87
Civilian Sheepdog
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 9:31:38 AM
I ran the standard BCG for a long time and then switch to the Nickel Boron BCG from spikes for my new build. All I have to say is one you go Nickel Boron you never ever go back. In my opinion they run smoother, they run longer without cleaning, they are easier to clean when you do have to clean. It used to take me 15-20 minutes to break down and clean my entire BCG now it the NiB BCG I can do it in under 10. The carbon and fouling just doesn't stick to any part of them. It doesn't directly effect jamming, but it just takes more fouling to cause the BCG to slow down and jam up.
Freedom, everything else is secondary.
Brahmzy
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 10:21:25 AM
Originally Posted By ggee87:
I ran the standard BCG for a long time and then switch to the Nickel Boron BCG from spikes for my new build. All I have to say is one you go Nickel Boron you never ever go back. In my opinion they run smoother, they run longer without cleaning, they are easier to clean when you do have to clean. It used to take me 15-20 minutes to break down and clean my entire BCG now it the NiB BCG I can do it in under 10. The carbon and fouling just doesn't stick to any part of them. It doesn't directly effect jamming, but it just takes more fouling to cause the BCG to slow down and jam up.

Exactly. Most nay-sayers are the folks who have never used a chrome or NiB BCG.

I'll never own another std. phosphate BCG again if I can help it. Unfortunately I'm stuck with an AR10 one.
Melendez402
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 10:54:07 AM
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
Originally Posted By ggee87:

Exactly. Most nay-sayers are the folks who have never used a chrome or NiB BCG.

I'll never own another std. phosphate BCG again if I can help it. Unfortunately I'm stuck with an AR10 one.
Because we know the standard BCG works just fine and we dont mind some cleaning.
WMurderface
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 3:14:53 PM
Why in the hell would it ever take 15-20 minutes to break down and clean a BCG?? Even a standard BCG?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile