Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2010 2:49:09 PM EDT
Well the other day I got to talking to my buddy Earl at Impact Weapons Components about the AFG1 vs AFG2. I though the AFG2 might work better for my setup. So Earl being the amazingly cool guy he is, he offered to send me one at no charge to do a comparo. Now being that I run the AFG on a carbine length MOE handguard I had mixed feelings about how the AFG2 would work out. I thought it would free up some space on the handguard which already has quite limited real estate. I also was afraid while it might work better it might not look right, because the AFG1's wings kind of cover most of the rail section and make it look cleaner. Well I just mounted up the AFG2 and I think it is a big improvement over the AFG1. It is quite a bit smaller so it does indeed make things a bit less cramped on the handguard. Also the altered angle is IMO more comfortable. As far as my worries about it's looks it actually looks a bit cleaner. So all in all while I like the original I think the AFG2 is definately an improvement. One other thing. Since Earl was so kind to let me try out the AFG2 for free I am going to give away my AFG1 to the first Team Member who wants it. First to say I'll take it can have it, but you must be a paid Team Member and please guys if you already have tons of spare parts laying around let someone that truly wants to try one of these out have it. Here are some pics and thanks again to Earl and IWC.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take it. I have a new RRA 9mm AR and have wanted to try the AFG for a while.

Very cool that he let you try an AFG 2 for free.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Earl is an awesome guy and IWC is one of the best companies I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Absolutely top notch customer service. On top of that they listen to customer input like no other company I have dealt with. These guys will go far in the industry. IM me your address and I will get that AFG out to you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool.

Any weight difference between the two?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't weigh them. I would imagine the AFG2 is a tad bit lighter due to the difference in size, but nothing substantial.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
That does look much much nicer. I am running a CCA lower hand guard on my AK74 and I have been thinking about trying the AVG2 on it.

How does it feel on the carbine hand guard? It will be setup in a similar matter on my 74. Heck if I like it on my 74 I may get a rail for my m4.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice comparison!  I hadn't even noticed the revised angle until you mentioned it.  I have an AFG2 on backorder from Brownells in anticipation of a future upper build, so this clears up some of the questions I had prior to trying it myself.

I'm interested to see how it feels smooth vs. finger groove, since most of the time finger grooves happen to be in just the wrong place for my goofy hands
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it is comfortable, but I don't really wrap my hand over the top of the handguard as Magpul intended with the AFG. It's much too close for that, but I find it more comfortable than a VFG and a bit more comfortable than the AFG1 as well. It's gonna stay. Until they make an AFG3. LOL I haven't tried the smooth insert as the finger groove worked well for me on both AFG models.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I found out that the AFG will not fit the Spikes Bar rail.  So now I need to order an AFG2 to fit the rail.  

The AFG the wings that come up on the top will not fit on the Spikes BAR rail because how the rail is machined.  The rail is a lot rounder but after seeing the pics posted the AFG2 I know now will fit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
That is I believe the main reason for the redesign. So it will fit all rails.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
ooopss
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried a AFG2 last week and HATED it. Close or at the end of a 10'' rail it was horrible uncomfortable. It just wasn't for me I guess.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I think they are best for longer rifles. I got rid of mine as well. Just running an IWC hand stop instead now.

Link Posted: 11/24/2010 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think they are best for longer rifles. I got rid of mine as well. Just running an IWC hand stop instead now.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/yellowv/006-46.jpg

That looks a LOT cleaner. I like it before those carbine hand guards were a bit to busy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I much prefer the AFG2 over the original version.  That is what I am running.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top