Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2010 4:14:55 PM EDT
Since I have never used my forward assist, I wondered how many of you have actually had to use it? Is it an out dated function? There are lots of rifles designed without one so I just want to know what the majority of arfcom thinks. If you were trained by the military to use one and it is habit please disregard the poll but feel free to post your opinion. Poll inbound..
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used it once or twice (so I voted "used it a few times") but it was early on in my BRD and the reason I needed it was operator error and not really an issue with the gun itself. That being said .. I think most weekend shooters probably will never use it, or maybe only use it a few times. The military boys on the other hand probably use it way more considering the places they operate in and the tortures they put their weapons through with full auto fire .. but that is just a guess.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The training I've had and been instructed to train others is to not use it except for press checks.  If there is a malfunction, there are other specific steps/procedures to clear the malfunction.  If something happens to make the round not chamber, jamming it in using the forward assist is not going to help the situation.  However, if one wants to press check and be sure a round is in the chamber, the forward assist is extra insurance to be safe the bolt is fully closed and the weapon is ready to go.  I don't have any military training, so I don't know what they teach.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I push it after I do a press check.  Can't recall ever "needing" it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The purpose isn't to drive a stubborn bolt home(slamming a round that won't completely chamber is not a good idea) but rather to allow someone to do a chamber check or ease the bolt home then return the rifle to battery silently without having to rack the ch and have the accompanied "Thwack!!!" noise.

Originally it may have been used to force a round in a stubborn chamber but it serves the other purpose better.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had to use it on a few occassions...it does serve a purpose.  This might rarely happen, but when it does it's good to have the assist option.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are lots of rifles designed without one

Most other rifles have a way of manually seating the bolt, which could be considered as a forward assist mechanism.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, I never know what to vote for when there's a "Pie" option...
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a BIG thread a while back, and a lot of shooters sat the bolt by pushing the bolt carrier forward with their offhand.

The consensus of that thread was that during a hunt, when you needed to charge a round SLOWLY (to not alert any nearby game), then a forward assist was an extra assurance to seat the bolt fully with either your finger on the carrier, or with the FA.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it often hunting. Sometimes with new gas rings I have used it. Chamber checks as well. Doesn't hurt to have it there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Pie is the main reason.

Second reason is for the just in case.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I use it to chamber a round slowley. It helps when hunting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never had to use it. I guess it never got that dirty to have the need.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
check out my thread "my first ar" it's a factory colt w/out the bullshit, but yes it is old.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The purpose isn't to drive a stubborn bolt home(slamming a round that won't completely chamber is not a good idea) but rather to allow someone to do a chamber check or ease the bolt home then return the rifle to battery silently without having to rack the ch and have the accompanied "Thwack!!!" noise.

Originally it may have been used to force a round in a stubborn chamber but it serves the other purpose better.

+1  I dry fired a coyote, dead in my sights last weekend because I previously checked for a chambered rnd and eased the charging handle in slowly, in an effort to stay quit..Dumb, ive been shooting AR's for a few years now and I know better but I get all excited when out hunting.. anyways I didnt make sure that the bolt was all the way forward by checking or by using the F/A.. That coyote only gave me one shot and that dry fire was it... Im still bummed out by my error.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I use it after every brass check.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top