Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2010 8:48:46 PM EDT
I haven't been around ARs very long, and have only put 1000 rounds through my new Stag.  However, I've never used my forward assist.  What is it really for and why is it necessary?
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never used it...ever
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
When one forgets to use the operating handle instead.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found myself using it to close the bolt when I check to make sure that there is no round in the chamber. I ride the charging handle home, and tap the forward assist twice to make sure the bolt is fully seated. I love the idea of having it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I use it after doing a chamber check to make sure there is indeed a round chambered.  I pull the charging handle back a bit, verify there's a round chambered, release the charging handle, ensure the changing handle is seated,  then press the forward assist to ensure that the BCG is seated all the way forward.  Sometimes after releasing the charging handle during a chamber check the BCG won't fully seat and needs that extra push from the forward assist.  Clear as mud?
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
like the last two guys mentioned I also use it in that fashion.

When I was in the Marines, I did have a few rounds that never fully chambered when I was firing and so I used the forward assist to get them in there and get my rifle back up running faster.

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it... I always say.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use it after doing a chamber check to make sure there is indeed a round chambered.  I pull the charging handle back a bit, verify there's a round chambered, release the charging handle, ensure the changing handle is seated,  then press the forward assist to ensure that the BCG is seated all the way forward.  Sometimes after releasing the charging handle during a chamber check the BCG won't fully seat and needs that extra push from the forward assist.  Clear as mud?

I want to say I do this too...

But w/10000000000000000000000000000000000000 rounds through all the AR's/M16's in the safe...I can't say I've ever 'used' it.

I've freakin pushed on it when I've had that rare jam, to no avail. The only ways to free a jam in an AR: Charging handle, TAP or open her up.

Verify there's a round chambered...??? Isn't that what the trigger is for?

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost never. The only time I have used it with success is when I was firing a dry rifle that was dirty. I don't run my own rifles unlubricated so it isn't a concern.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool thanks guys.  I may decide to make my own upper down the line and may delete the forward assist for the hell of it.

ETA:Edited for dumbassery ;)
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool thanks guys.  I may decide to make my own lower down the line and may delete the forward assist for the hell of it.

Lowers don't have forward assists.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Same here for me too. Other than that.. never..
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
In, before people say "other rifles don't have forward assists".*

*without realizing the forward assist on other rifles is pushing the charging handle forward.
Only thing I can thing of that doesn't is the G3 style guns
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]

*without realizing the forward assist on other rifles is pushing the charging handle forward.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think it's always good to have a way to manually seat the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
After assembling your upper you check that it pushes in.Not needed after that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't been around ARs very long, and have only put 1000 rounds through my new Stag.  However, I've never used my forward assist.  What is it really for and why is it necessary?

My advice is to forget you have it on your rifle unless you are using it after a chamber check as some others stated.  Always Tap, Rack, Bang first.  Otherwise, you run the risk of making an otherwise easy malfunction to clear into a PITA to get free due to you ramming the bolt into the jam harder with the forward assist.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I never use it to check the chamber is empty. If you want to do that, then pull the BCG all the way back and lock it back to check that it is empty.

The only reason you would ever use the forward assist is to push the bolt closed because it didn't close on it's own when it's not lubed, and / or dirty.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I never use it to check the chamber is empty. If you want to do that, then pull the BCG all the way back and lock it back to check that it is empty.

The only reason you would ever use the forward assist is to push the bolt closed because it didn't close on it's own when it's not lubed, and / or dirty.

You don't use it to check that the chamber is empty, you use it after checking that the weapon is in fact loaded.  After pulling back the bolt just far enough to do a brass check, the bolt won't always close all the way, so you should tap the forward assist to verify.  You don't want to discover that your bolt is an 1/8" out of battery when you need to shoot haji.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
You'll more the likely never need it on a flat range.  However, it was designed as a battle rifle, I've used it many times besides shooting.

Press checks after coming out of the water, pull bolt back to break seal and allow water to drain, ease bolt forward quietly to chamber round and tap forward assist to ensure bolt is seated.  Everytime before entering a stack before enter a building (seen someone go in without a chambered round, not fun),  I do a press check.  Setting up an ambush in bad guy country at night, press check again.  My M16/M4 are not toys, they are tools of my trade.  Even when at home hunting, after climbing stand, pull bolt back slowly, ride bolt forward and tap forward assist, again silence.  
There maybe times that you can push the bolt forward with your thumb or finger in the recess on the side of the BC but not when your wearing wetsuit gloves or other cold weather gloves.

CD
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You'll more the likely never need it on a flat range.  However, it was designed as a battle rifle, I've used it many times besides shooting.

Press checks after coming out of the water, pull bolt back to break seal and allow water to drain, ease bolt forward quietly to chamber round and tap forward assist to ensure bolt is seated.  Everytime before entering a stack before enter a building (seen someone go in without a chambered round, not fun),  I do a press check.  Setting up an ambush in bad guy country at night, press check again.  My M16/M4 are not toys, they are tools of my trade.  Even when at home hunting, after climbing stand, pull bolt back slowly, ride bolt forward and tap forward assist, again silence.  
There maybe times that you can push the bolt forward with your thumb or finger in the recess on the side of the BC but not when your wearing wetsuit gloves or other cold weather gloves.

CD

Yeah... good observations.  Only time I use it is when ensuring the bolt is locked after checking to ensure a round is in the chamber.

I NEVER use it for malfunction clearing. Any problem that immediate or remedial action will not fix shouldn't be fixed by smashing a round into the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 4:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

CD

Gotcha.  So most of the time only true badasses use it.  To us arm chair commandos, it's rarely of value.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've found myself using it to close the bolt when I check to make sure that there is no round in the chamber. I ride the charging handle home, and tap the forward assist twice to make sure the bolt is fully seated. I love the idea of having it.

Sometimes with hearing protection if the charging handle sounds like it didn't slam home hard eneogh, which is just imaginary as it always does, I thumb it becuase I'm anal when I shoot. If the forward assist told me that first round really didn't chamber I'd drop the mag and check it but so far thats never happened either.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't use it to check that the chamber is empty, you use it after checking that the weapon is in fact loaded.  After pulling back the bolt just far enough to do a brass check, the bolt won't always close all the way, so you should tap the forward assist to verify.  You don't want to discover that your bolt is an 1/8" out of battery when you need to shoot haji.

Maybe you and I don't use it to check that the chamber is empty but evidently some people do. And yes it's good for a press check, if it's too noisy to hear.

Quoted:

Maybe that's a typo? I don't know. I took at it face value.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's a typo? I don't know. I took at it face value.

You read it right. I do this when I'm about to put the rifle away.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I tap it out of habit whenever I chamber a round, but in 10 years of military service I've only had two occasions where I actually had to use it to close the bolt after a round failed to fully seat itself after racking.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Better to have and not need...than to not have and need?  My way of thinking any way.  

I've used it a few times.  Primarily as previously stated.  After checking to ensure there is a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Chamber check, as taught to me in a carbine class.  Check for brass, tap the FA twice, close ejection port door.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is a clue to one of the best uses of the forward assist. The  Hk PSG1 (G3 style rifle) has a forward assist and is refered to as a "silent bolt closing device" by Hk. Used when nothing is wrong, just want to make less noise. May never need it, but nice to have.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I guess if your AR locks up in an out-of-battery position, it would be handy to get the BCG forward enough to open up the action to correct the issue.

How else you gonna fix an issue like that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have never used it...ever

I mainly use mine when I am running training drills and will check the chamber by pulling the charging handle back enough to see the brass in the chamber. When I ease it forward, sometimes the bolt won't close fully so I tap my forward assist to lock it...I guess you wouldn't need it if you never drill with the rifle. I never need it when I'm just plinking at the range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#31]
There are reasons for everything added to any gun design weather it be the A2 sights,signature hider,or rails over the
slab side reciever,even the double shielded front hand guards.   Nothing is added that is not needed even if you don't
understand the need for it!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been shooting AR15s for 17 years and in the many thousands of rounds I have fired I never used the forward assist.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Way back in the stone age i was taught at Parris Island to use it when checking that the bolt was home when silently reloading.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#34]
The only reason I dont like the forward assist is the possibility of accidently jamming a round thats damaged in the chamber.If a round wont chamber im not gonna force im gonna eject it and reload like I would do on any weapon.In my experience on any firearm if the round does not chamber and then say rechamber after the first round is cleared then theres something wrong that needs to be addressed before the weapons fired again.While it will do what its meant for there is the possibilty that it could be used when its not needed really screwing things up..on the range its no problem in a real life or death situation the outcome could be worse with a jammed up rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]
taped it after checking my chamber before leaving the wire every time, had to smash it a couple times to chamber a round when my shit was dirty
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]
It is a solution in search of a problem. It isn't necessary and people should stop coming up with scenarios for it. And there is away to insure the bolt is closed without tapping the forward assist. The forward assist was added at the request of the army (the same geniouses who requested a longer, heavier bullet for a 1:12 twist barrel). I personally prefer to call the forward assist a "malfunction enhancer" because that is actually what it is best at.

Quoted:
However, it was designed as a battle rifle

It was designed as a battle rifle and the original performed excellently in Vietnam... without the forward assist. In fact it is ironic the A1, the later model with the forward assist, had the problems (even if the FA had nothing to do with the problems, the irony is still there). If I am not mistaken the AR10 still does not utilize a forward assist. And it was the AR10, not the AR15, that was Stoner's baby.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Never....used.....it.

Ever....
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cool thanks guys.  I may decide to make my own upper down the line and may delete the forward assist for the hell of it.

ETA:Edited for dumbassery ;)

Look no further, than Les Baer. If you are wanting a flattop with a shell deflector.

Also, Young Manufacturing makes a bolt carrier with no notches to go with it.

http://www.lesbaer.com/223parts.html

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I have never used mine and have swapped with a ADCO FA Plug

ETA Pics

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top