User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not going to drop $300 to save 1 ounce. I dont care how "cool" it looks. I thought thats why people would have it done was to save weight, increase cooling. I dont have anything against it I just was curious if it was worth it. The guys from ADCO will probably know the specs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on a 3/8 dimple on a 3/4" barrel, using the KAC patten you save 8 grams per dimple, on 4140 or 4150 barrel steel.

So on dontgiveahoots pic, 576 theoritical grams would be shed. ( 1 1/4lb)

454 grams in a LB.

Edited cause i re-checked my math.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Based on a 3/8 dimple on a 3/4" barrel, using the KAC patten you save 8 grams per dimple, on 4140 or 4150 barrel steel.

So on dontgiveahoots pic, 576 theoritical grams would be shed. ( 1 1/4lb)

454 grams in a LB.

Edited cause i re-checked my math.....

Nice. So 16oz? Now that would be worth it but that seems like a lot! All I want is a before and after
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That is theoritical math, done in 3D modeling software....so for actauls, I can't help you.

Also it is assuming a 3/8 diameter dimple, .150 in deep.  As i have never measured a dimple on a KAC barrel, that was just a guess.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
How much weight does it save?
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
See above - Theoretically 20 OZ (576 grams) - on a .75 under the handguard bbl.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Depending on original barrel dia, length, etc. I would guess you save about 6-8 oz on a carbine UHG, 10-12oz on a mid and a possibly 15-18oz, or so on a rifle length. If you guys would be patient, as soon as i do a few i will get solid measurements, until then these are my guesses. I would like to believe that the candaian above me is correct in his math, so.......

Cool, give us an update.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
could there possibly be a price break or option for the entire barrel?
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
That would be worth it then. That would make the diff in the weight of my suppressor or at least come close.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure Mike's math is good

We have to outsource our math to Canada.

That's okay.  I became a cop so I wouldn't have to do math.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]
You reduces few oz weight and create a lot of stress on the barrel.  Every machinning operation on a metal part creates stress points.  After such "work", the barrel has to be stress relieved.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Depending on original barrel dia, length, etc. I would guess you save about 6-8 oz on a carbine UHG, 10-12oz on a mid and a possibly 15-18oz, or so on a rifle length. If you guys would be patient, as soon as i do a few i will get solid measurements, until then these are my guesses. I would like to believe that the candaian above me is correct in his math, so.......

My barrel was delivered on Friday!!! Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You reduces few oz weight and create a lot of stress on the barrel.  Every machinning operation on a metal part creates stress points.  After such "work", the barrel has to be stress relieved.

Based upon your research and analysis, I highly recommend you do not purchase, install or use one of these highly inaccurate, dangerous barrels. Leave the supply open to retards like me and the others here who like the idea so that the supply stays up and the cost stays down.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious to see where this goes.  I asked about the reason for KAC's barrel dimpling on another forum and was told that it resulted in "better barrel harmonic, better cooling, and better weight."  I was also told by a KAC employee that their dimpling process is patented, which is why you don't see it on other manufacturer's weapons.  So, I'm sure you don't need me telling you this ADCO, but be sure to consult your legal folks cause KAC has it in their mind that barrel dimpling is theirs and theirs alone.

With that having been said, if it winds up becoming available to everyone, I'd definitely be interested.  I'm always looking for ways to shed excess weight off my rifles.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder how that would look on an Aug barrel :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What advantages, other than looking cool does dimpling offer?

Weight savings, increased cooling, and better rigidity and consistency in strength over fluting?

Weight savings and increased cooling are the only ones I've heard of, though there may be more.

It's more aerodynamically efficient when you throw it down the driveway.

On a serious note, is the dimpling supposed to be more efficient/robust than traditional fluting?  I have to do something like this to an LMT MRP barrel for my wife's gun (a scoche too heavy for her).
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder how that would look on an Aug barrel :)

That's what I'm thinking.  I'd only get it dimpled behind the gas block though, so it really wouldn't matter what it looked like.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#22]
"I was also told by a KAC employee that their dimpling process is patented, which is why you don't see it on other manufacturer's weapons."
The process of dimpling and dimpling itself are two different things.  How they get 'r done is patented.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Do we have any weight loss pics or reduction numbers yet??
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here are a few pics of my LMT MRP.  Not sure on the weigh loss numbers as my scale wasn't working.  I can definitely tell it is a lot lighter and the rifle balances better.  I just mailed off a 10.5" barrel today to get dimpled under the handguard.  Thanks to the guys at ADCO for the great work!

Link Posted: 2/13/2010 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are a few pics of my LMT MRP.  Not sure on the weigh loss numbers as my scale wasn't working.  I can definitely tell it is a lot lighter and the rifle balances better.  I just mailed off a 10.5" barrel today to get dimpled under the handguard.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b2.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b3.jpg

And just to clarify, that was done by who?
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like ADCO's fine work
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Who all does barrel dimpling besides ADCO?
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#28]
No dimples for me. That's ugly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are a few pics of my LMT MRP.  Not sure on the weigh loss numbers as my scale wasn't working.  I can definitely tell it is a lot lighter and the rifle balances better.  I just mailed off a 10.5" barrel today to get dimpled under the handguard.  Thanks to the guys at ADCO for the great work!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b2.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/b3.jpg

wow, that looks great. good work adco.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm curious if they refinished the barrel after adding the dimples. I would think it'd be necessary, since you're drilling through the current finish layer.  Maybe it's left up to the customer?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm curious if they refinished the barrel after adding the dimples. I would think it'd be necessary, since you're drilling through the current finish layer.  Maybe it's left up to the customer?

yes, refinishing the barrel is included in the price to dimple or re-contour a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Some like it, some don't... I personally love the way my "golf ball" barrel turned out, and with the Troy Extreme rail I think it looks great and the setup is about as light as  you can get in a sixteen inch carbine. Mine started with a Noveske Switchblock barrel that was dimpled by a member here on the boards, and I built the rest.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Dimple details...
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Can this be done on a 16" M4 profile barrel or is it too narrow in places to be able to be dimpled?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#35]
mkellett, red X's only!
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Got'er done!
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Did MSTN do that?

Yes, please tell who did the dimpling??

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#39]
That is damn sexy mkellett...
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did MSTN do that?

SR-47 did mine. I know that ADCO is offering this service as well, but the pattern is different. KAC has a patent on the dimpling they use so I would imagine that's why ADCO changed their pattern to linear rows with a slightly different dimple profile.

Marvin (SR-47) has some prior/current connection to the folks at KAC from what I've gathered, which may explain the difference in the patterns. TOP NOTCH work from Marvin though!
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#42]
The whole dimpling vs. fluting for weight loss argument really baffles me. It reminds me of something I saw in a motorcycle shop one day... This guy was debating with a salesman over the need vs. expense for the carbon fiber bodywork and magnesium parts found on a higher-end bike model vs. the plastic and aluminum parts spec'd on the lower-priced but otherwise equal model bike. This guy was going on and on about how important the forty-something pound weight difference was on the track...

The fat fucktard was about fifty pounds overweight and hadn't seen a gym since puberty.

Wanna fight over a difference of 2.5 ounces? Do yourself a favor and go run a few laps around the block and skip the Snickers bars.

I personally built a "dimpled rifle" because I really like the way it looks, and I really don't give a shit whether it's lighter, stronger of if it shoots laser beams out it's ass. That's the beauty of personal choice!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#43]
ADCO, can I send the upper with barrel attatched for the dimpling?  I'm in the process of moving and have all my tools packed up.  Also if there is any way to get around having to do the linear pattern, likea sligtly differnt size dimple for example would look much nicer IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind went to your webpage and saw you can send in a complete upper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did MSTN do that?

SR-47 did mine. I know that ADCO is offering this service as well, but the pattern is different. KAC has a patent on the dimpling they use so I would imagine that's why ADCO changed their pattern to linear rows with a slightly different dimple profile.

Marvin (SR-47) has some prior/current connection to the folks at KAC from what I've gathered, which may explain the difference in the patterns. TOP NOTCH work from Marvin though!

Marvin just finished my 11.5 BCM and I'm just waiting to get it back now. He's the only one I know of that does the KAC dimple pattern. He's done quite a few barrels for guys around here and they've all turned out great. Can't wait to see it
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm waiting to get my MRP barrel from Marvin from having it dimpled in the KAC style.  I can't wait either!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marvin just finished my 11.5 BCM and I'm just waiting to get it back now. He's the only one I know of that does the KAC dimple pattern. He's done quite a few barrels for guys around here and they've all turned out great. Can't wait to see it

How did you have an 11.5" BCM dimpled? Just forward of the FSB?

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did MSTN do that?

I had the whole barrel dimpled. Not really for looks since you don't see much of the barrel past the URX rail. I just wanted to lighten it up a little.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the whole barrel dimpled. Not really for looks since you don't see much of the barrel past the URX rail. I just wanted to lighten it up a little.

No shit? I didn't realize he could dimple the already thin portion under the handguards???

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#49]
My MRP after having the barrel dimpled.

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Some more, it's pouring out, so the only option I had was the garage, so sorry about the crappy pics!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top