Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:24:13 PM EDT
Who has the current military contracts for supplying rifles, mainly the M16 and or variants?  Are they manufactured and built in the USA?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
colt has the m4 contract...  fn and colt make the m16
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt for the M4
FN or Colt for the m16a4
FN for the SAW and others
Beretta for the M9
Who makes the m14 that is in use? SA?

Sabre makes barrels for some things
G.E. mini gun.
Lots of people you may never have heard of also I would guess.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Does FN make parts available to some of the other builders?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  Parts were made using US Govt supplied tech package and the contract says they can only make for .gov or .gov export policy.  Civilian parts are not allowed.....yet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Sabre Defence recently landed a  government contract for the production of a quantity of M16A4s. All made in the USA, Colt in Hartford, Ct. and FN at its plant in Columbia, S.C.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
OK thanks guys, great information.  So do all these players like RRA, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, DPMS, Delton, etc, etc make all their own parts?  Like trigger assemblies, buffer tubes, buffers, upper receiver, etc?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OK thanks guys, great information.  So do all these players like RRA, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, DPMS, Delton, etc, etc make all their own parts?  Like trigger assemblies, buffer tubes, buffers, upper receiver, etc?

No, they all use various subs for parts, including lower receivers!!!! Not all the time, but sometimes (on the receivers). This includes Colt's. The thing is, if you get a rifle made of the same parts by the same people who make the government guns, you must have bought a Colt's.

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
HHHMMM....Gov contract means what?...Meets minium contract specs at the lowest cost. Its called the lowest bidder.

BUT does not mean all can meet the minium contract specs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were all made before most othe memebers of this board were born.  Springfield Armrory (the real one in Mass - not the pouser company that makes the M1A), H&R and IIRC Winchester made them.  Some have been reworked by Crane or other High Power Competition related firms (that still have expertise in that obsolete platform).

TRW, Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge also made M14s
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they all use various subs for parts, including lower receivers!!!! Not all the time, but sometimes (on the receivers). This includes Colt's. The thing is, if you get a rifle made of the same parts by the same people who make the government guns, you must have bought a Colt's.

Colt makes all of their own parts
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt supplies the M4s/M16s and they get their barrels from Green Mountain Barrel Co.

I have one of their 10/22 stainless bull barrels and the thing is nice

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Some have been reworked by Crane or other High Power Competition related firms (that still have expertise in that obsolete platform).

Obsolete???....stills seems to do a hell of a job overseas.  Old, yes...Obsolete, no.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Colt supplies the M4s/M16s and they get their barrels from Green Mountain Barrel Co.

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always true.  They try to but use subs on occasion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Some have been reworked by Crane or other High Power Competition related firms (that still have expertise in that obsolete platform).

Obsolete???....stills seems to do a hell of a job overseas.  Old, yes...Obsolete, no.

Yes obsolete.  It was obsoltee the day it was made.  Obsolete in that the US Army has not procured USGI replacement parts since 1976 or so, they don't have a school to train M14 Armorers, the rifles have accuracy issues (I can hear the gasps of surpris over the internet), and they don't mount optics easily.

If it wern't for Remmington slowing down the SASS deployment by protesting the contractg award, and the fact commanders have limited budgets (a rifle in the armory is free even if it only has 1 magazine - SASS's cost) they would not be using the M14 at all.

I still hold firm that it is not obsolete so good luck with your "well if we had this then....." argument.  Yes my father carried one in his career which is why I do agree it's old as dirt, but obsolete hell no.  It is an excellent platform for the 7.62x51mm cartridge, and has soldiered on very well in the GWOT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So why stamp a barrel C MP if it's made by Green Mountain?  What about FN M16A2s, Or going back further, the GM Hydromatic M16A1 that still has converted A2 models in active duty arms rooms?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#19]
This may seem like a silly question but what, exactly, is our standard service rifle? A2, M4, and what is an M16A4?
regards,
Ralph
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This may seem like a silly question but what, exactly, is our standard service rifle? A2, M4, and what is an M16A4?
regards,
Ralph

M16A4 is the same as an M16A2 but with a flattop upper. KAC M5 RAS usually attached in place of the standard handguard
http://www.colt.com/mil/M16.asp
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#21]
See Forest's post below...

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were all made before most othe memebers of this board were born.  Springfield Armrory (the real one in Mass - not the pouser company that makes the M1A), H&R and IIRC Winchester made them.  Some have been reworked by Crane or other High Power Competition related firms (that still have expertise in that obsolete platform).

Um... not quite.  There was a shortage of M14s in inventory when the Army started issuing them in Afganistan again for DMR use.  The Army purchased a large number of Springfield M1As to fill in the gaps.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

O Rly? Thats what I was told by Green Mtn.

They lied then.  Colt makes their own barrel in their Hartford Plant.

Fascinating... Oh well, I still love my 10/22 barrel

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a FN upper on my ar at home. It's a 20" flat top. Front sight base is marked FN too. I'm not saying where I got though.
I was in a unit that had several M-14's. That was mid 90's though. I seem to remember some sort of manual for it, but can't be sure. I have no idea where we got parts for them. (wasn't my gig)
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

then they told you a bald face lie

colt makes all their own parts minus a few springs and roll pins/pin and furniture    You can see pics of them making upper/lowers and barrels in the CT factory if you just take the time to look instead of relying on errornet BS. or venders trying to sale you something
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Colt for the M4
FN or Colt for the m16a4
FN for the SAW and others
Beretta for the M9

Sabre makes barrels for some things
G.E. mini gun.
Lots of people you may never have heard of also I would guess.

Colt had the exclusive rights for the M4 but lost it recently so probably soon the future procurement will be up for bid.  I heard they won the contract for M16s again for the military.  M9 is made by BerettaUSA I believe... I think there was something in the contract that said the military's guns had to be made stateside.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. See below:

Quoted:
Quoted:

then they told you a bald face lie

colt makes all their own parts minus a few springs and roll pins/pin and furniture    You can see pics of them making upper/lowers and barrels in the CT factory if you just take the time to look instead of relying on errornet BS. or venders trying to sale you something

Mag catch is not made by Colt but sourced.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Parts not made by Colt from time to time include.  Some FA lower parts for M4 contract.  Stocks, hand guards, and pistol grips.  Side sling swivel- M4.  That's what I can remember off hand, I'm sure there are others.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I just read an article in Guns & Ammo Book of the AR-15 that says Sabre Defence has been awarded a small production run of M16A4 rifles for the USN and USMC.  "Sabre was recently awarded a contract to produce more than 5,500 M16A4 rifles to support the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and several foreign military customers.  Nine bids were received, with Sabre being only the third company in the 45-year history - besides Colt and FN - to be awarded a contract to supply a mil spec M16 to the government - no small accomplishment, to be sure".  The author is Pat Cascio and its on page 124 for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just read an article in Guns & Ammo Book of the AR-15 that says Sabre Defence has been awarded a small production run of M16A4 rifles for the USN and USMC.  "Sabre was recently awarded a contract to produce more than 5,500 M16A4 rifles to support the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and several foreign military customers.  Nine bids were received, with Sabre being only the third company in the 45-year history - besides Colt and FN - to be awarded a contract to supply a mil spec M16 to the government - no small accomplishment, to be sure".  The author is Pat Cascio and its on page 124 for anyone interested.

True, the news has been out for a while. I'm not sure about their claim that it's only the 3rd Company. Hydramatic Division of GM and Harrington and Richardson made M-16s during the Vietnam War also.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
regards,
Ralph

M16A4 is a FA rifle with a flatop receiver and has the BUIS.  The FN builds for the Navy are coming in with rail system handguards.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
regards,
Ralph

M16A4 is the same as an M16A2 but with a flattop upper. KAC M5 RAS usually attached in place of the standard handguard

For the A2, the Army went to 3rd burst while the A4 is FA.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
regards,
Ralph

No, it's actually the M16A3 which is full auto, The A4 is basically an A2(3 round burst) with a flattop upper.
http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Colt_M16A3
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
regards,
Ralph

The A4 is not FA
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why stamp a barrel C MP if it's made by Green Mountain?  What about FN M16A2s, Or going back further, the GM Hydromatic M16A1 that still has converted A2 models in active duty arms rooms?

Not sure if this got answered.  I didn't see it, but could have missed it in all the flak.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that C MP stamped on a barrel means its made from Chrome-moly steel, and Micro Particle inspected.  This is not to be confused with Chrome Lined, which, in my experience, have been marked with CL.  Now, that's not definitive.  Different manufacturers can stamp their barrels differently.  Just trying to point out that the C doesn't necessarily mean Colt.

-Ty
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not only born when the M-14 was made, it was my duty rifle in South East Asia. (aka Viet Nam) in 1968. I recall some were TRW's Here is a bit of info:

The T44 competed successfully against the T47 (a modified T25) and the FN FAL (T48). This led to the T44's adoption by the U.S. military as the M14 in 1957. Springfield Armory began tooling a new production line in 1958 and delivered the first service rifles to the U.S. Army in July 1959. However, long production delays resulted in the 101st Airborne Division being the only unit in the Army fully equipped with the M14 by the end of 1961. The Fleet Marine Force finally completed the change from M1 Garand to M14 in late 1962. Springfield Armory records reflect that M14 manufacture ended as TRW, fulfilling its second contract, delivered its final production increment in Fiscal Year 1965 (1July '64 - 30June '65). The Springfield archive also indicates the 1.38 million rifles were acquired for just over $143 million, for a unit cost of about $104.[

Go read this for a good history and some facts and figures. Note that the M14 is STILL IN USE in the US military. There is always a place for a .30 Cal. weapon that packs a good punch and is reliable.

M14 History
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not only born when the M-14 was made, it was my duty rifle in South East Asia. (aka Viet Nam) in 1968. I recall some were TRW's Here is a bit of info:

The T44 competed successfully against the T47 (a modified T25) and the FN FAL (T48). This led to the T44's adoption by the U.S. military as the M14 in 1957. Springfield Armory began tooling a new production line in 1958 and delivered the first service rifles to the U.S. Army in July 1959. However, long production delays resulted in the 101st Airborne Division being the only unit in the Army fully equipped with the M14 by the end of 1961. The Fleet Marine Force finally completed the change from M1 Garand to M14 in late 1962. Springfield Armory records reflect that M14 manufacture ended as TRW, fulfilling its second contract, delivered its final production increment in Fiscal Year 1965 (1July '64 - 30June '65). The Springfield archive also indicates the 1.38 million rifles were acquired for just over $143 million, for a unit cost of about $104.[

Go read this for a good history and some facts and figures. Note that the M14 is STILL IN USE in the US military. There is always a place for a .30 Cal. weapon that packs a good punch and is reliable.

M14 History

Too bad you can't buy one from the CMP
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top