Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2009 2:52:46 PM EDT
My carbine as of now has a pair of carbine length KAC RAS.
Looking to get a pair of DD midlengths but Im not quite sure on the procedures to go about shaving your front sight base.
Anyone with any experience?
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Chop it down with a dremel/sawzall/whatever...try not to generate a shitload of heat (plasma cutter )
Keep cutting til the FF tube fits over it. Nail it with spray paint. Tighten everything properly. Shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was hacksawed by the guy I bought it from. I later refined it with an angle grinder.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
YHM Low profile gas block. i have the 19$ one, and an unchopped FSB

what if you decide to build another rifle or you want to put your carbine length arms back on?

im a big fan of hoarding spare parts tho

get em while theyre on sale! i bought the set screw one. no problems. YHM is USA made too.

http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product540.html

i know you wanna chop it, this is an alternative.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

what if you decide to build another rifle or you want to put your carbine length arms back on?

get em while theyre on sale! i bought the set screw one. no problems. YHM is USA made too.

Glad you pointed this out to me.
I doubt ill be consolidating back to carbine length, the advantages and mechanics of a longer rail system are far superior to the standard carbine length rails.
Now the question becomes how do i proceed with installation
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You cant use a FSB that has been drilled for one barrel on a different barrel.  It wont line up.  You can put it back on the same one though like you said.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hacksaw, grinder or belt sander, and finish it up with a Dremel tool.  Coatings optional.  Here's the results....

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Could a dremel be used for the entire process?
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Instead of shaving the FSB you might consider saving it for future use, with the same barrel.
Get another and cut it up or a gas block
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it ok to cut down the FSB without removing it from the barrell??  With a dremel??
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Taper pins too long?  What's with that
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

YES.  Takes a while and you may burn through a few cutting discs, but it's possible.

Quoted:
Is it ok to cut down the FSB without removing it from the barrell??  With a dremel??

Depends on how steady handed you are.  However, it's much easier to position the FSB and the dremel/grinder if it's removed from the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, I used a dremel and a couple of cutting wheels for the whole thing. And I did remove it from the barrel first.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine did that on his rifle, since he had a 14.5 Colt with a Larue 7 on it, and he wanted a 12.  Since the hole in the Larue is big enough to fit over a flash hider and he didn't have to change the barrel nut, he hacked the thing down while it was still on the barrel and it worked fine.

Not the easist way, but doable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the FSB can be shaved while still attached to the BBL.....you just have to be very careful and take more time to not scratch/file/grind the original finish of the barrel or other nearby parts. Assuming you care about that kind of thing...  The barrel and nearby parts should be heavily masked to avoid collateral damge while shaving. If you're careful the same masking will serve if/when it's time to refinsih the shaved base.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like you used a chisel

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I used a dremel and a couple of cutting wheels for the whole thing. And I did remove it from the barrel first.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/terrdeac/ShavedFSB/ShavedFSB.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/terrdeac/ShavedFSB/ShavedFSB1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/terrdeac/ShavedFSB/ShavedFSB2.jpg

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

" />
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fred Flintstone - Expert Gunsmithing

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL. Yes, very caveman tactical. Good thing it sits under the rail.  I have no gas issues, and I have a lo-pro gasblock which is double-pinned in place.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I cheated and used a milling machine (and a Dremel, and a belt grinder)  

Then painted it with high temp paint.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Yes, very caveman tactical. Good thing it sits under the rail.  I have no gas issues, and I have a lo-pro gasblock which is double-pinned in place.

If it were chromed it would be better
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine did that on his rifle, since he had a 14.5 Colt with a Larue 7 on it, and he wanted a 12.  Since the hole in the Larue is big enough to fit over a flash hider and he didn't have to change the barrel nut, he hacked the thing down while it was still on the barrel and it worked fine.

That was me.  It was very time consuming, but worked out nicely.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
You have to think about, "Is it worth it?"

Bravo Company has a Yankee Hill for $22.

Think about what you make in a hour and if it's worth it. I know there is a factor of doing it yourself but you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I shaved this one down last week with it still on the barrell

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it were chromed it would be better

Chrome is kuhl.  Look at mine above.  Actually its nickle to match the polished stainless barrel.  BLING, BLING, BLING!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I have to ask why?

Yes, its cheaper... if Mr. Murphy isn't watching
    but what happens if you slip and screw up the FSB or the barrel,

then your out the money to replace them, when you could have just saved the trouble and gotten a low-profile gas block

However, that being said, If you have spare FSB's, why not go ahead and start grinding, they look pretty neat, adn anything cheap AND effective always appeals to me
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
One I've done:

I've done 3-4 of them. It's not hard but makes a mess. I use a pneumatic grinder. Then prep with 220, then refinish.

Start to finish 45-60 min it's not that hard to do.

I can't say I will do it again. The ones I did were due to bad planning on my part with pinned flash supressors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have to ask why?

then your out the money to replace them, when you could have just saved the trouble and gotten a low-profile gas block

I've never shaved a FSB and I can't speak for everyone, but this appeals to me for two primary reasons.

1) It's pinned. No screws, no loctite. Pinned (Mr Murphy, after all)

2) It already fits and functions perfectly. Nothing to mis-align or screw up during the install. (Murphy again)

So while I know there are plenty of factory made, low profile gas blocks that can be added after the fact, shaving down your FSB is as close to "factory intalled" as your going to get with the barrel you already have, and I like that.

Tex78
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#29]

There easy with a dremel and a half dozen cutting disks to get the majority of the metal removed, then switch to a sanding drum to final finish.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to ask why?

I've never shaved a FSB and I can't speak for everyone, but this appeals to me for two primary reasons.

1) It's pinned. No screws, no loctite. Pinned (Mr Murphy, after all)

2) It already fits and functions perfectly. Nothing to mis-align or screw up during the install. (Murphy again)

So while I know there are plenty of factory made, low profile gas blocks that can be added after the fact, shaving down your FSB is as close to "factory intalled" as your going to get with the barrel you already have, and I like that.

Tex78

Good explanation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I understand it is also possible to cut the carry handle and screw a rail into it, thus creating a flat-top. Is that phase two?
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have to ask why?

However, that being said, If you have spare FSB's, why not go ahead and start grinding, they look pretty neat, adn anything cheap AND effective always appeals to me

if i go long rails ill cut mine...

if you screw up your out your fsb which the only option is to buy one so the only difference is you didnt save $... what if you buy a new gas block and fk that up installing it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I would HIGHLY recommend removing the FSB, saving it and putting on a low profile gas block. If you ever want to return the barrel back to original spec it would not be cost effective to try and get another FSB installed on it.
I shaved my FSB down with a dremel to mount a rail but after a few years I want to go back to stock but I am forced to buy a whole new barrel because of the expense of having a FSB fitted.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
hmmmm... you may have just inspired me.... i was planning on replaceing my whole upper as result of a pinned muzzle break.... i too want to have atleast a midlength if not full length rail.. and lets face it , new barrel... new gas black ...new rail?? you 3/4 the way to a whole new upper why not have 2??  :) anyone try this with out removing the fsb from the barrel or the barrel from the gun????
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hacksaw, grinder or belt sander, and finish it up with a Dremel tool.  Coatings optional.  Here's the results....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nickel_Gas_Block.jpg

I really like this: very unique.

Edited to add:
How does the .17 Rem. shoot for you?

I absolutely love the AR chambered in .17 Rem.  Extremely accurate, minimal recoil, and devastating on paper and ground squirrels.  This and the .204 Ruger are definitely my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I understand it is also possible to cut the carry handle and screw a rail into it, thus creating a flat-top. Is that phase two?

Here's one I did that to many years ago before the factory flat-top uppers were even available.  Chopped the handle off, then screwed and pinned a section of rail on top.

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't mind could you tell me what rail you used.  I am guessing since you went 12" you used the LT15-12 but just want to make sure.  I am trying to cut down my FSB w/o removing the pinned FH or barrel nut.  I want to cut off the delta ring and install the Larue LT15-10 but don't know if I can use the stock barrel nut.  BTW my pinned FH is a A2x if it matters.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't mind could you tell me what rail you used.  I am guessing since you went 12" you used the LT15-12 but just want to make sure.  I am trying to cut down my FSB w/o removing the pinned FH or barrel nut.  I want to cut off the delta ring and install the Larue LT15-10 but don't know if I can use the stock barrel nut.  BTW my pinned FH is a A2x if it matters.  Thanks

I had a LT15-7 on it when I had the 16in barrel cut and permed to 14.5.  I shaved the block down and pulled the tube over it.  All I had to do was refinish the block with some black paint and screw on a LT15-12 on the preexisting hardware.

You will not be able to use the stock barrel nut as LaRue uses a proprietary nut.  If you want a LaRue Rail you will need to change your barrel or "unpin" your barrel and remove the FH and then reattach and perm a new one as you will destroy the FH removing it. Your best bet is to get a new barrel and install it on that.   Also skip the 10in rail and go for the 12in.  You will thank me later.  Ask Marksman14  
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a LT15-7 on it when I had the 16in barrel cut and permed to 14.5.  I shaved the block down and pulled the tube over it.  All I had to do was refinish the block with some black paint and screw on a LT15-12 on the preexisting hardware.

You will not be able to use the stock barrel nut as LaRue uses a proprietary nut.  If you want a LaRue Rail you will need to change your barrel or "unpin" your barrel and remove the FH and then reattach and perm a new one as you will destroy the FH removing it. Your best bet is to get a new barrel and install it on that.   Also skip the 10in rail and go for the 12in.  You will thank me later.  Ask Marksman14  

Ok thanks that what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure before I bought the Larue rail and couldn't use it with my current setup.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top