Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Del-Ton all guns 750.00.

Seriously? No I'm not referring to the price. Delton is a budget brand, I thought this was indisputable until now.

Not knocking them or saying they're junk, but I don't think they qualify as the best compromise of price vs quality.

Intarweb experience, or actual experience with them?

For most shooters, they're a fine rifle and good bang for the buck.

Actual experience. I had 2 M4 kits from them with the following issues:
TD detent springs were too long
BCG's both had bolts with TD detent springs in place of ejector springs so they would not chamber a round
Ramps didn't line up so well on one upper

I have to agree with UBB... Delton and DPMS are in the same category, budget brands. Budget brand is just a nice way of saying cheap. Best value implies the optimal trade-off of price vs quality. While DPMS and Delton are definitely some of the least expensive yet pretty reliable rifles out there that doesn't make them the best value; they're simply cheap.

So far we've got:
Sabre w/ Cav Arms lower $795
Sabre M4 $990 I'd call them to confirm because a 14.5"+A2 is still a SBR
M&P15 for $962
Spike's M4 for $950
CMMG M4LE
BCM middy $1134
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Del-Ton all guns 750.00.

Seriously? No I'm not referring to the price. Delton is a budget brand, I thought this was indisputable until now.

Not knocking them or saying they're junk, but I don't think they qualify as the best compromise of price vs quality.

Intarweb experience, or actual experience with them?

For most shooters, they're a fine rifle and good bang for the buck.

Actual experience. I had 2 M4 kits from them with the following issues:
TD detent springs were too long
BCG's both had bolts with TD detent springs in place of ejector springs so they would not chamber a round
Ramps didn't line up so well on one upper

I have to agree with UBB... Delton and DPMS are in the same category, budget brands. Budget brand is just a nice way of saying cheap. Best value implies the optimal trade-off of price vs quality. While DPMS and Delton are definitely some of the least expensive yet pretty reliable rifles out there that doesn't make them the best value; they're simply cheap.

So far we've got:
Sabre
M&P
Spike's
CMMG
BCM

I was actually advocating for DPMS rifles being a GOOD value. I have owned a couple. There is nothing about my AP4 that says 'CHEAP' aside from maybe the trigger. JMO
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
nm...
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So far we've got:
M&P15 for $962
Spike's M4 for $950
CMMG M4LE
BCM middy $1134

I'd add the Colt 6920 to that list, since right now they're easily found for under $1200, and in fact can be found for about $1100 with a little bit of looking.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was actually advocating for DPMS rifles being a GOOD value. I have owned a couple. There is nothing about my AP4 that says 'CHEAP' aside from maybe the trigger. JMO

DPMS makes a decent rifle, but there are better choices for not much more money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS makes a decent rifle, but there are better choices for not much more money.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "not much more money" is. A person can get a DPMS for under $750 in my neck of the woods last time I checked.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it depends on what your definition of "not much more money" is. A person can get a DPMS for under $750 in my neck of the woods last time I checked.

For an entry-level budget rifle, DPMS makes a good product and $750 is not a bad deal.  But value isn't just price, and DPMS (like many other brands) takes shortcuts with materials and QC.  That's why the price is lower.  I suppose it depends on where you want to be on the price vs. quality scale.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far we've got:
M&P15 for $962
Spike's M4 for $950
CMMG M4LE
BCM middy $1134

I'd add the Colt 6920 to that list, since right now they're easily found for under $1200, and in fact can be found for about $1100 with a little bit of looking.  

You can get that M&P15 for $935 delivered on GunBroker believe it or not, I was just looking at them there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just looking at Buds Gun Shop and he has some great prices on Colts...
Looks like some are california guns...search on there for Colt...
Buds Gun Shop
More here...
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks all. No price range in mind, just trying to get the best bang for buck. The Bravo looks interesting for the money.
I really just want the rifle to be mil spec and will pay 1100- 1400 if I need to. Thanks

BCM.

If specs are what you're after BCM and Colt are clearly at the top of the list. See "The Chart". While you can find a Colt for pretty much the same price as a BCM some places, in the customer service department BCM gets the nod and of course there's the whole lifetime warranty thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
BCM.  Reference the M4 chart.  Best material quality & quality control w/ best price among the top three.  Get a chrome middy.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Armalite

Has most of the features of the higher end models, but with the price tag of the lower end, yet its amazing quality.

LINK
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt 6920 and DD XV-M4 for the closest-to-milspec type rifles, but only at gunshow prices, not at $1300+. If you want an AR that holds value, KAC by far.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top