Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2009 6:32:13 PM EDT
Okay I'm new to the AR world finally completing my gun today. My upper has forward assist on it, but I honestly have no clue what it is/does? For the record my upper is the DPMS A2 20" SS pre-ban in .223. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Its used in case the BCG does not go completely into battery.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It's mostly decorative.

Many consider that forcing a round that has a problem chambering into the chamber is a sure route to bigger problems. Better to run the charging handle and dump that round.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup... Interacts with the fish scales on the side of your carrier to seat the bolt in the event it fails to lock.

It's an emergency feature for correcting a failure... You will rarely use it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in the 60s, the need to quietly chamber a fresh round was considered a need in the Army so this was added in the A1 version.  The Air Force, not needing this tactical advantage, kept with the M16 without the forward assist.

Manuals have been rewritten since then and riding the charging handle is no longer discussed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
the way i understand it's a last resort type of thing where if you HAVE to force a round into the chamber, or to put the bolt into battery silently if you ride the charging handle forward. you and i will probably never ever use it, but it's there just in case.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I know I"m going to need flameproof underwear for this post but here goes.
You may find it handy for ensuring your bolt is in battery once you get up in your tree stand and want to quietly chamber a round.  You probably want to ride the charging handle forward so the bolt doesn't slam home thereby alerting every deer within hearing distance.  Once you have completed that action, you may want to gently push forward on the FA to quietly make sure the bolt is in battery and the round is properly chambered.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay cool. Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I just couldn't figure out how it worked cause I pushed it but nothing happened. Didn't help I pushed it when my bolt was either locked open or closed after hitting my bolt catch button. And I like the idea of using it to quietly chamber a round while out hunting. I'm probably going to use it as a predator gun so that will come in handy for being silent. Thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I use several of my ARs to hunt. I use the forward assist to silently load my rifle as others mentioned. For me it's a useful feature.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It's also good to ensure the bolt is fully forward after checking the chamber to make sure you've chambered a round.  Sort of like a press check on a pistol.  Pull the bolt and carrier back enough to see or feel a round there, then use the forward assist to make sure it's bully in batter again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back in the 60s, the need to quietly chamber a fresh round was considered a need in the Army so this was added in the A1 version.  The Air Force, not needing this tactical advantage, kept with the M16 without the forward assist.

Manuals have been rewritten since then and riding the charging handle is no longer discussed.

Ding Ding Ding !!!
We have a winner. + 1 to you Sir for Knowing your history.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top