Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2009 2:47:14 PM EDT
Okay I ordered the upgaded extractor spring and insert from bravo company to put in my bolt. How do I go about replaceing the one that is already in there?

Also if I just put on the "O" ring in my old extractor insert will that cause any problems or just make the old extractor more reliable? I am trying to solve a problem and maybe going to the range asap today to see if it works or not.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Might as well replace the old springs and inserts while your at it.  You need to first punch out the extractor pin, push in on the rear of the extractor while doing this to make it easier.  Once the pin is out, the extractor, spring and insert come off the bolt.  Install o ring a replace spring and insert, reassemble by again pushing on the rear of extractor while reinstalling pin.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Might as well replace the old springs and inserts while your at it.  You need to first punch out the extractor pin, push in on the rear of the extractor while doing this to make it easier.  Once the pin is out, the extractor, spring and insert come off the bolt.  Install o ring a replace spring and insert, reassemble by again pushing on the rear of extractor while reinstalling pin.

Thanks

But I know how to take the extractor off of the bolt, but how do I get the spring and the insert out of the extractor?

I tried just pulling it and twisting it off but no luck. So who do you go about this?

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

But I know how to take the extractor off of the bolt, but how do I get the spring and the insert out of the extractor?

I tried just pulling it and twisting it off but no luck. So who do you go about this?

Pull REALLY hard. No joke. The spring snaps in to the extractor and can be a PITA to get out. If yours is so stuck you can't get it out, take it to a gunsmith. It should come out though as long as you give it a good, hard tug.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Pull REALLY hard. No joke. The spring snaps in to the extractor and can be a PITA to get out. If yours is so stuck you can't get it out, take it to a gunsmith. It should come out though as long as you give it a good, hard tug.

Alrighty, off to try it again. Should I use pliers if necessary?
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done about 2 dozen of these. Use a set of needle nose pliers grabbing the first 2 coils and pull while turning clockwise or counter clockwise(some springs are coiled opposite ways)
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I got it out, just had to pull a pretty hard on it. I replaced the spring and insert but I couldn't ever get the pin back in with the "o" ring on there so I didn't use it. But I can definitely tell that it is tight now. Before I replaced it, the extractor would move up and down with somewhat minimal effort. I didn't get a chance to go shoot this afternoon but hopefully that will solve the issues that I was having.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top