Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 4/18/2009 12:59:29 AM
The scarcity of complete uppers coupled with my need to meet NY's AWB, has me thinking of building my next upper from the barrel up. Looking at either a 14.5" or 16" barrel, how would you rate the different barrels out there?

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements. This would be used as a go-to rifle for SD and in carbine classes; not for precision shooting competitions. Other furniture would likely include a DD Lite rail, VFG, light (no tape switches), fiip down sights, and (most likely) an ACOG. This upper will sit on a LMT lower...a very lonely and naked LMT lower right now.

I've heard names like Kreiger, Compass Lake, Denny's Operator, White Oaks, Noveske, etc. Let's hear how they stack up against one another!
smithc6
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:02:04 AM
Originally Posted By JW1069:
The scarcity of complete uppers coupled with my need to meet NY's AWB, has me thinking of building my next upper from the barrel up. Looking at either a 14.5" or 16" barrel, how would you rate the different barrels out there?

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements. This would be used as a go-to rifle for SD and in carbine classes; not for precision shooting competitions. Other furniture would likely include a DD Lite rail, VFG, light (no tape switches), fiip down sights, and (most likely) an ACOG. This upper will sit on a LMT lower...a very lonely and naked LMT lower right now.

I've heard names like Kreiger, Compass Lake, Denny's Operator, White Oaks, Noveske, etc. Let's hear how they stack up against one another!

Noveske
js308
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:09:14 AM
Noveske, LMT and Colt
12_gauge
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:18:48 AM
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 1:21:09 AM by 12_gauge]
One of the most distinguished marksman that I know claims that Satern is the best. I am sure he could profile the barrel for your application. Here is his message to me earlier today on this topic:

"after 5 years as a member of the USMC rifle team shooting competitively abroad and domestically, winning state championships and maintaining High Master status in Long Range category (1000 yd), and being Double Distinguished, may I offer my two cents on a good barrel? Satern!!! Steve Satern in Estherville Iowa is THE MAN. He makes the AMU and current USMC barrels. His barrels run circles around Shillen, Krieger, Douglas etc."-Kip Carrier
Every ripple has the potential to become a tidal wave.
ratfink57
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 2:05:06 AM
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 2:13:46 AM by ratfink57]
Originally Posted By 12_gauge:
One of the most distinguished marksman that I know claims that Satern is the best. I am sure he could profile the barrel for your application. Here is his message to me earlier today on this topic:

"after 5 years as a member of the USMC rifle team shooting competitively abroad and domestically, winning state championships and maintaining High Master status in Long Range category (1000 yd), and being Double Distinguished, may I offer my two cents on a good barrel? Satern!!! Steve Satern in Estherville Iowa is THE MAN. He makes the AMU and current USMC barrels. His barrels run circles around Shillen, Krieger, Douglas etc."-Kip Carrier

Good luck getting one. I heard of 1 year wait times on those before the post election madness started.

Edit;
Sabre makes good combat barrels, I would put them on par with Colt, LMT and Bravo Co. Noveske would be a step up from there.
Fight like a man...or die like a dog!
12_gauge
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 2:20:16 AM
Originally Posted By ratfink57:

Good luck getting one. I heard of 1 year wait times on those before the post election madness started.

Edit;
Sabre makes good combat barrels, I would put them on par with Colt, LMT and Bravo Co. Noveske would be a step up from there.

I didn't know availability was an issue in the question. If the above poster wants a good barrel NOW, I would recommend the LT Stealth system that suits his needs as far as length/rail. Those are a matter of weeks.
556Fundi
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 2:46:57 AM
I was going to give my 2cents, but realize I have less than 1 cent to give so I will just say my exhaustive research with little AR experience led me to get a Noveske.
MisterWilson
12.5" FTMFW
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 2:51:07 AM

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements.

Serious question: What's the difference between "tactical" engagements versus the standard variety?
[NO TEXT]
arty6pd
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 2:51:51 AM
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 2:52:49 AM by arty6pd]
I was able to obtain a barrel! I have been completely happy with it so far.
" We only get the part of the story the media gives us anyway, so my opinion is as good as any"
12_gauge
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:15:46 AM
Originally Posted By MisterWilson:

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements.

Serious question: What's the difference between "tactical" engagements versus the standard variety?

Tactical engaguements involve the use of tactical gear. Standard engagements do not. I would think this would have been obvious?
12_gauge
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:16:17 AM
Originally Posted By arty6pd:

Why, pray tell, what barrel was it that you obtained?
dmhays
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:25:22 AM
Noveske ftw
DonnieBrasco
Has BRD affected you or a loved one?
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:26:43 AM

The massive adrenaline dump, DUH!

“There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.”
noveske18
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 5:48:28 AM
Originally Posted By dmhays:
Noveske ftw

+ 1
M4builder
Just an average Joe.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 7:50:45 AM
Noveske will be the best for your build. The N4 barrels specifically.
A Colt is a weapon, not a measuring stick.
jh901
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 8:08:44 AM
add BCM to this list.....

Originally Posted By js308:
Noveske, LMT and Colt

proguide
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:00:54 AM
Originally Posted By js308:
Noveske, LMT and Colt

This is pretty much the standard answer that you will get here.
chadwick76
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:07:48 AM
noveske
UM-Iceman
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:32:15 AM
Originally Posted By M4builder:
Noveske will be the best for your build. The N4 barrels specifically.

I've only been involved with ARs for a short while, but have never seen Noveske's N4 barrels offered individually. Does anyone know if they are generally sold separately and not only in complete upper builds?

You might also want to consider the mid-length Hard Blue ones that Superior offers. I have a 16" and have found it to be a pretty kick ass barrel.
Geohans
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:48:56 AM
Wes at MSTN will build to suit; he often has the Noveske barrels.
SpecWarCom
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 10:18:26 AM
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 10:21:59 AM by SpecWarCom]
Compass Lake, Douglas, or Lilja in no particular order. I like shorter Lilja barrels, and the longer Compass Lake/Douglas barrels for SPRs.

My .02.

-Glenn

ETA: What kind of ammo will you be shooting? If you're not shooting good stuff like Black Hills Sierra 77gr, Mk 262, etc and only running shit like M193, Wolf, M855, you're not going to need a badass barrel and you'd be wasting your money. Your barrel is only going to shoot as good as the ammo you're running through it.

On a carbine length like you want - get a good Colt/Noveske/Sabre barrel and it'll definitely do what you ask of it. If you were running your gun out to 5-6-700 meters on an dedicated intermediate range platform, I'd recommend a higher class barrel, but those will defintiely do what you want them to do.
mstennes
Thread killer.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 11:21:43 AM
Originally Posted By SpecWarCom:
Compass Lake, Douglas, or Lilja in no particular order. I like shorter Lilja barrels, and the longer Compass Lake/Douglas barrels for SPRs.

My .02.

-Glenn

ETA: What kind of ammo will you be shooting? If you're not shooting good stuff like Black Hills Sierra 77gr, Mk 262, etc and only running shit like M193, Wolf, M855, you're not going to need a badass barrel and you'd be wasting your money. Your barrel is only going to shoot as good as the ammo you're running through it.

On a carbine length like you want - get a good Colt/Noveske/Sabre barrel and it'll definitely do what you ask of it. If you were running your gun out to 5-6-700 meters on an dedicated intermediate range platform, I'd recommend a higher class barrel, but those will defintiely do what you want them to do.

This is the reply you need to pay attention to, what ammo are you going to use? Is the barrel going to be used as a survival, defense, shtf, plinking or target? If your planning on using it as target rifle with match rounds, you will want to go stainless, if its going to be the shtf, rifle go chrome lined, save your money you would spend on Noveske and get a good, BCM, Sabre, Colt, LMT and use your savings for better optics.
Noveskes are good but dont get trapped in the Noveske Kool Aid, they are over priced and most shooters cant use what a top tier mfg barrel is capable of anyway, now if you want to ignore the Noveske advice you also gain bragging rights to some.
If you can read this, thank a teacher, if you read this, and speak english, thank a vet!
DallasLooterShooter
SHTF Party Planner
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 11:28:46 AM
I bought a Model 1 Sales upper with an ER Shaw barrel. It has performed very well up to 300 yards. Using only an Aimpoint I could consistently hit a target (both stationary and moving) that was 12" wide by 24" tall. My barrel is 10.25". I paid $350 for the upper without BCG/CH. That is about the same price as some of these companies want for JUST the barrel.

YMMV, flamesuit on, etc.
Why do you own a black rifle?
Do you know how hard it is to beat someone to death?

I can't wait until the only economy is Darwinism, bullets will be the currency and survival will be your only 401k plan.
arty6pd
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 12:07:57 PM
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 12:17:00 PM by arty6pd]
Originally Posted By arty6pd:

Why, pray tell, what barrel was it that you obtained?

Im not sure the geneology of this barrel but it shoots very fine for a 16" carbine. Im happy with 2" groups with my milspec velocity reloads. I can find no markings on it but the bore is bright, the finish is an excellent match with the upper and the lower. The rifling is still there after approximately 200 rounds. I consider this a definite plus along with the fact that it is in m4 configuration! I bought it on the local classified adds for a grand sum of $179.00. It appears brand spanking new too.
" We only get the part of the story the media gives us anyway, so my opinion is as good as any"
JW1069
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 5:57:49 PM
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 6:00:09 PM by JW1069]

Tactical engaguements involve the use of tactical gear. Standard engagements do not. I would think this would have been obvious?

Just trying to convey that I'm not going to be sitting at a bench taking 5 minutes between each shot. I'm going to use this rifle for active range sessions (ie, using multiple shooting positions), carbine classes, and SD - not bullseye shooting competitions. Hope that answers your question.

My .02.

-Glenn

Right now, I'm shooting XM193 and M855...no Wolf or other crap, just brass. I will likely add the Black Hills 77 gr into the mix since it would be combined with a magnified optic (I'm only using RDS currently). My local range only runs out to 300 yards, so I wouldn't be able to tap into the potential of say an 18" high end SPR barrel.

I completely agree with not overspending for "the best" barrel if I'm not going to maximize its potential. I'm trying to get a sense of how the different barrels stack up wth one another, then see what's in stock or could be ordered in a reasonalbe timeframe. Obviously, I'll have to hunt around no matter which barrel I'm looking for. At this point, I'm looking to stretch my options beyond the complete uppers offered by LMT or Noveske for the simple fact that (a) I can't find one in stock, and (b) I'll need to have a FSC556 pinned on it.

Cold
AR Variants Mod and Juris Doctor (in training)!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2009 6:30:08 PM
IMO from PERSONAL experience, and in no particular order.

Noveske
LaRue
Knights Armament Co
LMT

I've not used each in the same situation but for the various application, each has been TOPS.

When there's lead in the air... there's hope in the heart.

www.68Forums.com
Oh, how the ghost of you clings...
www.458SOCOMforums.com
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2