Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2009 1:01:37 PM EDT
I have been seeing more upper receivers available now that do not have a forward assist. Since I am still somewhat new to the AR world, and have not had enough time on a gun to realize if there is really true value to the forward assist, will you guys clarify its utility?

1. Is it really necessary?
2. Do you who run your weapons hard utilize it much?
3. Can it not be substituted for by just racking the charging handle?

I am just curious, I don't want to start another "my opinion and way of operating is better than yours" thread.
The real reason is that I am waiting for the Vltor MUR to go available, will I be at a loss if I get the one without the forward assist if it goes available first?

Factual input is appreciated, arbitrary opinions are not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the "why jam a bad round in there?" retards!!! w00t!
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say yes, and no.

Under no circumstances should you use it if your life is not in danger. If you are at the range and you use it then you are just asking for trouble, now if someone is aiming a gun in your face it might be a different story. It is a last resort.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
1. NO
2. NO
3. YES

I like having one BUT that is only for a situation where I am trying to chamber one slowly and quietly and it does not lock up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]
When I want to quietly seat a round on my LW carbine w/o FA I just put my forefinger or thumb in the divot on the side of the BC assy and push. Works like a charm on mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Was shooting with a buddy and he decided to use the forward assist on a round that didn't chamber. He did not get to shoot the rest of the day because he was trying to get the spent case back out of the rifle. In an emergency they work, but in everyday shooting leave it alone. I have ar's with and without and I am left handed and rarely get hot brass coming staight back so even slick sides are good without the assist or bump. IMO
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like having one BUT that is only for a situation where I am trying to chamber one slowly and quietly and it does not lock up.

This is the only time I have ever had to use my forward assist.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes it is definately neccesary.

I used to be one of the don't jam a bad round in their guys, then I went to Iraq.

While in country I carried an m16A4 that already had a decent amount of use. Normally it functioned just fine but upon one trip to the range I fired a magazine until bolt lock, then I inserted a fresh 30rd mag and slapped the side. The bolt failed to close all of the way. I tapped the forward assist and fired the magazine until empty. Inserted the next mag, slapped the side and again it failed to close. Tapped the forward assist and fired the weapon until empty then inserted a third magazine and slapped the side. For three magazines in a row it failed to close and the forward assist solved the problem.

I diagnosed this problem to be a weak mainspring combined with excess pressure from a full 30 rd magazine. If loaded to 28 rounds it wouldnt happen, but with 30 it fails to close.

I stretched the spring out a bit and it never gave me a problem again even with a full 30 rds. Was it the correct fix, no, it should have had a brand new spring but that would have taken a bunch of BS to try and get out of the armory.

For me personally I wouldnt build a battle rifle without a forward assist, a target rifle might be ok, but their are circumstances where you want a forward assist.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used it on M-16A2 during exercises in the field with blanks, after a week in the field in mud and rain, and a weapon that was coked up in carbon from blanks.  Blanks have far less power, so the weapon cycle slower, as well it dirties up the weapon much more.  It was clear the malfunction was dirt, especially after the bolt failed to go home after cycling it with the charge handle with no magazine in the weapon.

YES, if you have a round fail to chamber, its NOT wise to force it into the chamber and try to fire it, you want to figure out what is wrong and fix it.

So for a civilian on the range, you don't need it, nor should you be using it.  Especially if your shooting reloads.  You have the luxury of stopping and thoroughly examining your weapon, figure out what is wrong and fix it, if its so dirty its jamming, then you take a break from the range and clean it.

For a Marine or Soldier in Iraq/Afghanistan, you do need it, cause you far more likely to be in conditions that have dirty up your weapon to the point you need it, and your in a situation where its likely its worth the risk of using it.  Yes, military ammo is "usually" more reliable than civilian ammo, that's NOT an excuse to blow off safe procedures when a weapon malfunctions.  Usually it becomes clear quickly with some immediate action steps if the problem is "likely" dirt slowing down the cycle and if your taking fire from the enemy its worth the risk to keep your weapon running using the forward assist.

I have a Forward Assist, I'd rather have it and be smart enough NOT to use it, but its there in case of a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been shooting AR's since the late 70's and I can't ever recall needing it.... ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have been seeing more upper receivers available now that do not have a forward assist. Since I am still somewhat new to the AR world, and have not had enough time on a gun to realize if there is really true value to the forward assist, will you guys clarify its utility?

I am just curious, I don't want to start another "my opinion and way of operating is better than yours" thread.
The real reason is that I am waiting for the Vltor MUR to go available, will I be at a loss if I get the one without the forward assist if it goes available first?

Factual input is appreciated, arbitrary opinions are not.

1. Depends.  Are you plinking at the range or using it in combat or for LE work?  Range - NO.   Serious work - Yes it is a necessary backup option.
2. No, but that doesn't mean you will never need it.
3. Yes, but the forward assist is faster.  Depends on the situation your in.  If your on a roof top in Iraq taking live fire, yes you want the forward assist.

My guess is that you probably wil NOT need it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#12]
with the charging handle system on ARs, I like having it.  If it had a side charging handle that was positively connected to the bolt, think AK, obviously it isnt needed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#13]
1No
2No
3yes

I lean towards what JS308 is saying ...... here is my 2 cents.

The forward assist was a knee jerk reaction from the government after they issued M16's in Vietnam and they didn't really give cleaning kits or good instructions for maintainance.  It was issued "according to articles I've read" as the weapon that didn't need cleaning.  Well, it would jam ........ the forward assist was added to help "ram the round in there anyway".  It may or may not have saved lives by "making the weapon shoot anyway".  But, it can also cause problems by shoving a round into a broken case which would reall really be bad.  I have used mine once or twice.  It's not bad to have one on there, but it it not really neccessary.  You can get by with an upper that doesn't have one and probably never notice.  If you get an upper that has one, you may use it once or twice ........ but, it aint a "must have".  I have one on mine and I like having it there.  

During my military service, I would typically push my forward assist now and then ...... just as a feel good that it was seated and ready to fire.  But, I can't remember having to use it "or else".   I would deffinitely put one on a combat weapon.  Not a civilian or bench weapon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I like having it on a new rifle or new upper. That first round at the range, I'm going to tap it to make sure it's locked up. After a few hundred rounds with no problems, I forget all about it. Having it available in case you ever wanted to load silently could be a very good thing. When they stop putting them on M16s/M4s, I'll consider not having it. They say the grip safety on the Colt .45 was not Browning's idea, and that the government required it. It came on all my .45s and it's staying, and they don't get strapped down, either. Since the charging handle does not reciprocate (or else it would hit you in the nose on the way back), there is no other direct way of closing the bolt as there was on the mil rifles prior to the M16. Now, perhaps it's not needed, but I feel as though it's for the most part a good thing. You have already read the post from the soldier who suffered a worn recoil spring and had to tap the assist to load. I would say that the forward assist came about because of feedback from the field requesting a positive bolt closing device.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I deer hunt with my 6.8 & 7.62.  

After all the trouble to get into a stand nice & quietly, its kind of nice to be able to close the bolt nice & quietly.

MLG
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else think of that youtube guy that blows up
his AR after banging the hell out of the forward assist
while reading this thread? I did...  
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone else think of that youtube guy that blows up
his AR after banging the hell out of the forward assist
while reading this thread? I did...  

And if you watch the video carefully, the FA had nothing to do with the weapon failing. He was banging the forward assist before charging the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the only time I have ever had to use my forward assist.

I have used it in the same situation, but when the chips were down. I was happy I had it. FMJs-of-Freedom
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
While YouTube was not available in Vietnam, had it been, we could have seen videos of the brand new issue M-16 sans forward assist in the hands of GI's that did not survive because a round failed to fully seat.  

Was this caused by a lack of an FA, a lack of proper training, incorrect powder, no barrel lining, lack of cleaning supplies or a combination of all of the above?  There are varied opinions, but most say a mix of several factors, regardless, someone, somewhere, during an actual shooting war decided to A) Modify the rifles design B)Issue Cleaning Gear & C)Train the troops.   Part of the mod and part of the training included an FA and its use, and since I really hate to repeat mistakes of the past, and thankfully, I did not have to pay for their lessons in the same manner, ie blood, Ill keep the FA.  

Put it like this. the horror stories Ive heard about the lack of an FA far outweigh any bad story I have heard becuase of one.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
with the charging handle system on ARs, I like having it.  If it had a side charging handle that was positively connected to the bolt, think AK, obviously it isnt needed.

These are my thoughts as well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While YouTube was not available in Vietnam, had it been, we could have seen videos of the brand new issue M-16 sans forward assist in the hands of GI's that did not survive because a round failed to fully seat.  

Was this caused by a lack of an FA, a lack of proper training, incorrect powder, no barrel lining, lack of cleaning supplies or a combination of all of the above?  There are varied opinions, but most say a mix of several factors, regardless, someone, somewhere, during an actual shooting war decided to A) Modify the rifles design B)Issue Cleaning Gear & C)Train the troops.   Part of the mod and part of the training included an FA and its use, and since I really hate to repeat mistakes of the past, and thankfully, I did not have to pay for their lessons in the same manner, ie blood, Ill keep the FA.  

Put it like this. the horror stories Ive heard about the lack of an FA far outweigh any bad story I have heard becuase of one.

+1 Forget my earlier post.  I'll go with what he said.  Best argument I've heard yet in deffense of the FA.  Short, sweet and to the point.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
A little twist on the "Better to have it and NOT need it, then Need it and NOT have it".

The Forward assist falls under the:

"Better to have it, and be Smart Enough NOT to use it."  Its for combat, when the need out weighs the risk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Forget my earlier post.  I'll go with what he said.  Best argument I've heard yet in deffense of the FA.  Short, sweet and to the point.  

It's also complete bullshit.  The forward assist was incorporated into the AR-15 in peacetime, well before the first US combat soldier ever set foot in Vietnam, and was present on the rifle of almost every US soldier who died there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also complete bullshit.  The forward assist was incorporated into the AR-15 in peacetime, well before the first US combat soldier ever set foot in Vietnam, and was present on the rifle of almost every US soldier who died there.

Then somebody printed bullshit ...... because I read it in article that was written concerning the forward assist and the reason it found it's way onto the rifle.  Since, I was only 2 years old in 1969, I didn't write the article.  So, don't be upset with me.    I believe your post just as much as the article I read.  I can't prove it either way.  Somebody should ask Colt or Armalte.  The would probably know.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I have used it before when useing a silencer. The rifle would get so dirty and after cool downs the rounds would not chamber. After useing the forward assist and fireing 1 round the rest of the mag would go smoothly once things got heated up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No.

I use it all the time, for specific and limited purposes.

Yes and no.

I habitually press the forward assist after chambering or especially after press-checking just to ensure that the B/BC is fully seated.  In that application it's just a security blanket.  It's also useful if you'd happen to be in a situation (for whatever reason) where you needed to chamber a round quietly.  Folks that have to do a lot of administrative loading and unloading can appreciate these functions - some will say that you can press forward on the indentation in the bolt carrier through the ejection port and accomplish the same thing, which is true, except that on a properly lubricated AR that area is going to have some lube and it's convenient to not have to go wash your hands after dealing with your rifle.

It has almost no good purpose as far as malfunction clearance or the like.  The absolute last thing you want to do with a cartridge that won't chamber is to force it in via the forward assist.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I have to go with both Eugene Stoner and Pat Rogers on this..............................It's NOT needed and NEVER USE IT!

My duty AR does NOT have a Forward Jammer on it!

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The training I've had indicates the FA should never be used.  At best, you can cycle the action as fast or faster than slamming on the FA. At worst, you'll force a round to seat when when it's not safe (like onto a barrel obstruction or a separated case).

Don't use it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This, put much more succinctly than my meager attempt above.

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll put in my 2 cents.  The M16 series of rifles is a military weapon that must operate without fail in environments that can range from -50 to +50 degree weather, from sandstorms to blizzards.  You will not need to use the FA 99.99% of the time, however when you do need it you will be glad that you have it.

I'm in the Cdn military and I never touch the FA, except in the winter.  I've found that when out in the field in sub zero temperatures (I'm talking celsius here) that when cocking the weapon the bolt will get hung up on a round that has frozen to the mag.  Pulling back on the cocking handle and letting it fly does not normally remedy the stoppage, in those instances the only way to get a round up the spout is to use the forward assist.  After firing the first mag the weapon is normally warm enough that reloads don't present the same problem.

So I guess I'd answer your question as follows;

1.Yes
2.No
3.Not always

You can do what you like with this info, afterall, I'm only a no name Canuck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, put much more succinctly than my meager attempt above.

The forward assist is just an aid to user manipulation of the firearm not its internal operation, and as such has no bearing whatsoever on the reliability of the AR type/M16/M4 firearm.  The forward assist had nothing to do with the reliability improvement noted with updated M16 models in VN, it was the chrome lined chamber that was introduced at roughly the same time along with greater availability of cleaning equipment and instructions.  The lack of a forward assist has nothing to do with the confluence of errors and outright stupidity that accompanied the initial fielding of M16 rifles in VN.

As far as "Part of the mod and part of the training included an FA and its use", as stated repeatedly, it's very much not advisable to attempt to use the FA for any kind of malfunction remedy.  With extremely limited exception (like the frozen ammo situation related above), forcing a round that won't chamber into the chamber will often  just result in an even worse situation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top