Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2009 10:27:18 AM EDT
Nickel Plated Steel JHP........Local shop has decent price on 1K. I bought a couple of boxes to see if they will run in my DPMS Lo Pro. Still a little worried about the health of my extractor. The case rim feels "sharp" compared to UMC brass? Anyone who has direct experience? Your opinions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it in my Bushmaster. GTG!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Use it.  You'll get some people who will say it's nothing but crap and will tear your gun up.... These are the people that spend $.45-$.65 per trigger pull for plinking and have never ran the steel cased stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea. It works fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I have put about 300 rounds of brown bear through my old one and it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
On a whim, I got 3-500 rnd cases of the stuff right after the elections.
Ran 300 rounds through a Colt and an RRA
both M4 profile rifles.

Found it to be as accurate as the SS109 (S&B) that I was shooting at the same time.
Did not chrono it but at 100yds it was hitting about 1-2" lower,
that and felt recoil leads me to guesstimate 1-200 FPS slower.

Compared to the new manf. Centurian ammo, same accuracy and POI.
It is loaded to .223 Spec.

No failures of any kind! I like it and I wish I'd bought more!

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Good to go in my Bushie and RRA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a bad experience with it.

I have a Del-ton built upper..No other ammo problems from that rifle.  Wolf/brass/reloads run through my setup perfectly.

With the silver bear ammo.. The extractor would rip the rim off the steel cases causing the case to be jammed in the chamber and not removable by simply clearing the weapon. I had to drop a brass cleaning rod down the barrel to pop the case out.

On a batch of 500rnds, it happened about 30 times.

Sometimes it would happen with a clean rifle, other times it would happen further into the session. It would happen when the rifle was dry.. or when it was run wet.. I couldn't pinpoint any particular issues that would cause this.

My opinion.. for shooting range/blasting ammo.. accuracy was definitely "good enough" and you could deal with popping a stuck case out between ceasefires..

SHTF/defense ammo.. before you go buy a few cases of it.. burn through a batch of 500 and see how it runs, it might work perfectly for you. At this point in my rifle, I don't trust it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I like it a lot. No problems and cheap
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#9]
my stag ate it up. just shot two boxes to try it out. i did have two short strokes though.(I thnk that's what its called, one round shot and ejected but the next round did not chamber.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Anybody try shooting this stuff with the JP light springs?  The instructions that came with the kit said to stay away from foreign manufactured ammo due to the harder primers which might result in misfires.  Just curious if anyone has tried it.

EDIT: Is this the same stuff as the Golden Bear?

Thanks,
Ty
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Most on this board have not had problems with SB.

That said, I am one of the few that has. I got a case that was "bad". Boxes were clean but shell casings were corroded. I had MAJOR FTE issues (to the tune of 50%). No problems with any other ammo brand (including the infamous Wolf).

You did the smart thing and tried a couple of boxes. It seems to do fine for you: so go for the score. By the way: what's the case price you are getting?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoots great in my colt and bushy and I like it better than standard wolf.

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I am no expert...but I hang out at a major league size range where lots of ammo gets shot.

Word on the street there is:

Chrome lined bores and chambers seem to tolerate different ammo's better.

Wolf runs fins in may guns
Silver bear seems better than Wolf
Golden Bear was the most liked out of all three of these

I had Black Boxed Wolf stick in a new Bushmaster I had. But it ran fine in my Armalite....could just be a rough chamber in a new gun....

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On a whim, I got 3-500 rnd cases of the stuff right after the elections.
Ran 300 rounds through a Colt and an RRA
both M4 profile rifles.

Found it to be as accurate as the SS109 (S&B) that I was shooting at the same time.
Did not chrono it but at 100yds it was hitting about 1-2" lower,
that and felt recoil leads me to guesstimate 1-200 FPS slower.

Compared to the new manf. Centurian ammo, same accuracy and POI.
It is loaded to .223 Spec.

No failures of any kind! I like it and I wish I'd bought more!

In my experience, lower POI has meant faster velocity.    For example, my .308 shoots 125 gr. Frangibles 500 fps faster than my 175 SMK's, but they land 1.5-2 MOA low.

Also noticed this with 150 gr. fMJ vs. 175 gr. smks in that rifle.

To the OP, any of the "Bears" have been good to me.  Cleaner and more power than Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That said, I am one of the few that has. I got a case that was "bad". Boxes were clean but shell casings were corroded. I had MAJOR FTE issues (to the tune of 50%). No problems with any other ammo brand (including the infamous Wolf).

You did the smart thing and tried a couple of boxes. It seems to do fine for you: so go for the score. By the way: what's the case price you are getting?

$354 per K out the door

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anybody try shooting this stuff with the JP light springs?  
Thanks,
Ty

I ran 300 rounds of Silver Bear last weekend through my RRA with JP Reduced Power Spring Kit/CMMG 2 Stage Trigger with no issues.

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$354 per K out the door

Whoa! Thats pretty pricey for Russian ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought some of the 62 grain at a local show to try (80 rounds), it was about 30 cents a round.

I have a chrome lined barrel.

I was very impressed with the accuracy and I had no malfunctions.  I wish I would have bought a couple of cases because now i can't find any of the 62 gr anywhere, and the 55gn I have found is nearly as expensive as brass ammo.

If the price comes back down and it becomes available again I will be purchasing more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Pricey? Wake up and smell the cordite dude, it's all gonna be "pricey" from here to eternity. The notion that these prices are going to "come back down" to levels of reasonable affordability is wishful thinking IMHO. The ammo is here (no shipping, no waiting) , This is out the door at a retail GS. Yes, it's pricey, but it is reality. IMHO, if you ain't got any, you best get some......ooorah!
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$354 per K out the door

Damn i get the brown bear 500rd for $130 before tax.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$354 per K out the door

Damn i get the brown bear 500rd for $140 before tax.

I got mine for $129 + $12 shipping. I haven't fired it yet since I don't have an AR at the moment. I'm waiting on my upper I ordered back in November from Del-Ton. I hope my rifle doesn't have issues with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#22]
There's a LOT of review data in the Ammo Review and Reference link in the Ammunition forum.

Consensus there is that Silver Bear is OK stuff.  It's consistent, affordable, and relatively accurate.  It is NOT loaded to either M193 or M855 standards, so what you're getting is ".223 Remington" ammunition and performance (some rifles don't like that and thus don't operate well), but for that it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#23]
It runs in my Mini 14's, but my AR's rip the rims off the silver bear type nickle plated cases. haven't tried it in years, may work with chrome chamber? mp
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$354 per K out the door

Damn i get the brown bear 500rd for $140 before tax.

I got mine for $129 + $12 shipping. I haven't fired it yet since I don't have an AR at the moment. I'm waiting on my upper I ordered back in November from Del-Ton. I hope my rifle doesn't have issues with it.

I didn't mean to hit the 4 it was $130 but either way it is the cheapest ammo you can get.  Sad story though because i have a 500rd box from a year or two ago and it has a price tag of $89!!  I miss those days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Range report.......

Fired 40 rnds of the SB HP through my DPMS lo pro and my buddy's bushy M4 yesterday. Function was flawless in both weapons. Accuracy was outstanding in both weapons as well. Bought 1K on the way back from the range.

We inspected both extractors under some magnification during our cleaning session, and visually saw no defects. This ammo is clean, and visually appears to be a quality product. Will probably break out the chrono next week and look at the consistency velocity wise.
For now GTG>>>>>
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]
It's now my main training ammo.  I've used around 5K in classes with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I've put 400 rounds of it downrange so far, without flaw.  I'm pretty impressed with it , compared to other steel case ammo.  Crap....now i have to go buy more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top