Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2009 11:14:12 PM EDT
I see it and  all I want to do it pull on it!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

TMI, bro.
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It assists the bolt fwd.
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1) Someone must have played CounterStrike some time...

2) It's not a handle, it's a button... You slap it to seat the bolt in the chamber, should the gun short-stroke for some reason, and the bolt fail to engage completely
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2) It's not a handle, it's a button... You slap it to seat the bolt in the chamber, should the gun short-stroke for some reason, and the bolt fail to engage completely

That is exactly right.. However, this is ONLY a battlefield expedient. Usually the reason it is needed is that the chamber and/or ammo is dirty. You would't do this to any other weapon, would you?

If your bolt sticks at the range, remove it, clean it, the chamber, and the ammo, and resume shooting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly right.. However, this is ONLY a battlefield expedient. Usually the reason it is needed is that the chamber and/or ammo is dirty. You would't do this to any other weapon, would you?

If your bolt sticks at the range, remove it, clean it, the chamber, and the ammo, and resume shooting.
Repeated use of forward assist at the range after a FTE...

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/Dsc_0003.jpg

Wow.  Tryin' to shove it against a case that didn't come out?  

That's why SPORTS does involve lookin' before ya Tap.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about it, it's like an appendix. Someone once thought it was useful but it isn't anymore and just causes problems.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Never had a problem loading a rifle quietly without it, and in truth, since my rifles are almost always loaded, even that isn't a concern.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't worry about it, it's like an appendix. Someone once thought it was useful but it isn't anymore and just causes problems.[/quote

We've got one member here that got himself through a firefight using the forward assist. While I understand the sentiment, I wouldn't quite call it "useless."

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We've got one member here that got himself through a firefight using the forward assist. While I understand the sentiment, I wouldn't quite call it "useless."

What are the circumstance, every time I have seen it used either the racking itself already cleared the problem and the shooter did nothing but went through muscle memory, or it jammed up the weapon to the point you needed tools to get rid of the jam.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are the circumstance, every time I have seen it used either the racking itself already cleared the problem and the shooter did nothing but went through muscle memory, or it jammed up the weapon to the point you needed tools to get rid of the jam.

Failures to battery.

One bump of the forward assist seated the bolt and he was able to fire. Went through a fire/bump/fire/bump/fire/bump sequence several times.

I've used it on occasion when the weapon was dirty or I sightly rode the charging handle, with no ill affects.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

careful you'll make a mess
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always thought you turned the fwd assist like a knob.

And here I was all along doing it wrong.  

To adjust the squelch.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I turn it to tighted my groups.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys crack me up. The key word is FORWARD. This post kinda scares me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Understood. All I was trying to say is I appreciate your sense of humor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To load:

With your finger still in the trigger guard, insert a loaded magazine into the magwell. Next, pull all the way back on the forward assist (about 4 inches) and let it fly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably would have shot it anyway. lol they tell us not to do that crap in the army but I've never had any problems. the dents iron out. lol
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/Dsc_0003.jpg

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top