User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:48:36 PM EDT
Top Tier Muzzle Devices

What do you like to hang on your muzzle?  I'm making a list of the answers. This is an area that I haven't delved far into. I figure other people may be looking for this info as well.

Note: Words in blue are a copy & paste not written by me.
Words in red are my personal notes.

ETA: These are not my pictures. If you have a problem with me using your pictures IM me and I will take them down. (the first pic; AAC Blackout was taken by Stickman)

I have two new builds and I am shopping for something new.
Thanks in advance for your help.

-ARMS

Flash Hiders

Advanced Armament Corp. (AAC): Blackout

ETA: I have been informed that the picture does not fit the description. The device pictured is $99 and designed for use with a suppressor. (thanks Duffy)
I am still looking for a suitable picture.

Length: 2.25"
Diameter: 7/8"
Weight: 2.9 oz
Price: $59.95

Three equally spaced, horizontal slots efficiently reduce muzzle flash and help prevent the blinding effect of a bright flash in complete darkness for improved target acquisition during night ops. Flat, smooth muzzle face with rounded corners prevents hang-ups and allows unencumbered weapon deployment. Two machined flats allow simple installation with a standard-size wrench. Precision machined from heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel and given a proprietary SCARmor™ coating for high surface hardness and durability. Fits 5.56 NATO (.223) caliber, threaded barrels only.

Saylor Machine: Phoenix PML4

Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $59.99

These were designed specifically for the FN FAL/L1A1 and the 7.62NATO/.308WIN round. Made by Saylor Machine. Very tough and look great on your FAL/L1A1! Counts as 1US 922R compliance part! Available in 9/16ths 24TPI left or right hand for either metric or Inch FAL barrels. Cut from heat treated, stress relieved 4140 bar stock.

FROM SAYLOR MACHINE: A lot of people have been wanting more information on the Phoenix, so I thought I would add it here. This flash hider was designed with preservation of the night vision of the shooter as the number one priority. Night blinding from muzzle flash is very detrimental in combat situations due to the long periods between follow up shots. To reduce this effect the following things were designed into this unit. It has bi-directional ports cut around the perimeter to assist in the leaning of the air/fuel mixture that is required for combustion. It also has a tapered bore to help slow the escaping gas so it has more time to mix with the additional air to further reduce the air/fuel mixture even more. The small grooves cut around the perimeter of the ports are anti-resonance grooves that help reduce barrel vibrations, thereby stabilizing the bullet sooner in it's flight. It is 2.240" in length so as to bring a 14.5" rifle up to legal length with correct attachment techniques. The muzzle is "banded" to give it strength, stabilize rifle grenades, and to provide a snag-free muzzle for tactical situations requiring speed and mobility. The air / fuel ratio that supports combustion is 14.7 to 1 respectively The region we are trying to stay out of is between the LEL and the UEL limits. We can not add more fuel to make the ratio too rich so we are mainly concerned with the LEL (Lower Explosive Level). This is the point where combustion is possible, below this point and the mixture is too lean to burn. By adding more air to the mixture (something that IS available) we can lean it to the point that it will not burn. The bullet passes through the inner chamber and pulls a slight vacuum behind it, this pulls in extra air that mixes with the exiting gases thereby leaning the mixture inside the flash hider. The leaned air/fuel mixture then escapes through the forward end of the four ports and out the front of the unit.

Yankee Hill Machine (YHM): Phantom Flash Suppressor: YHM-28A

Length:?
Diameter: ?
Weight:?
Price: $30.50

This suppressor virtually eliminates flash and provides excellent performance with night vision. Incorporated into the design is the ability to use the suppressor in hand-to-hand situations. Precision CNC machined and finished with a mil. spec. phosphate coating. Includes washer.

Vortex M429

Length: 3.175"
Diameter:  .860”  
Weight: .26 lbs.
Additional Sizes: .50 cal, 9 mm/.335 cal, 7.62 mm, 6.8 mm,
Price: $51.00

Fox News

The world’s most effective flash eliminator is now available the 5.56mm M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW). Based on the combat-proven Vortex system, the definitive development of the patented Vortex design now features a 40% increase in structural rigidity. This new version also enables the use of our forthcoming quick disconnecting M249/MK46 Direct connect (DC) sound suppressor. The new M249 model features our patented 15-degree helix, guaranteeing a complete propellant burn and negligible flash, unlike the standard issue closed-end “bird cage” unit or competing straight-flute designs. Right hand helical flutes will not loosen under sustained fire. The aligning of exiting gases helps to improve accuracy.

The new G6 BFA is machined from 8620 steel and features a hardened 416 stainless steel shaft for long service life. The G6 BFA will work on all variants of the M249 SAW family, as well as all variants of the M4 and M16-based weapons when fitted with the appropriate Vortex® flash eliminator. This development of a common BFA for 5.56mm issue weapons eliminates the need to maintain a dedicated BFA for each weapon in that caliber. The robust dimensions, manner of construction and use of high-grade materials offers a quantum improvement over the current issue BFA item. Also, a grenade ring is attached to the center shaft to prevent loss in the field.

SPECS: M249 Vortex: Heat-treated 8620 steel, RC 55-60 Internal, RC 35-38 surface Hardness to depth .006 to ..010. Phosphate finish. Overall Length 3.175”, Diameter .860”, Wt. .26 lbs.

Compensators

JP Tactical Compensator: (Bennie Cooley) JPTRE-2

Available in matte black and stainless.

Length:
Diameter: 0.750"
Weight:
Price: $89.95

Top professional shooter, Bennie Cooley contacted us to develop a truly high-performance, match-legal tactical rifle compensator. With his valuable input, we produced a design that maximizes the potential of the size limitation while maintaining nearly the same recoil reduction and neutrality that has characterized the original JP Recoil Eliminator. Bennie was fully impressed with the new compensator and has endorsed it as his choice for action rifle competition.

Miculek

Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $54.95

Greatly reduces felt recoil. Will bring 14.5" barrels up to legal 16" when permanently attached and will install on any 1/2x28 tpi .223 barrel.

Noveske KX3

Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $130.00

RRA with KX3

KX3 Flash Hider for 5.56 mm and one for .308/6.8 SPC
One problem with 10.5" and shorter M-16/AR-15 barrels is a great amount of concussion is produced which can upset the shooter, and his team, especially indoors. The KX3, (the Updated version of the Krinkov Flash Hider), directs the blast forwards, away from the shooter. Using the KX3 flash hider helps generate back-pressure for reliable cycling on short guns. The powerful muzzle flash of the 10.5" barrel is minimized. Made in Oregon with a tig welded 4140 adaptor. The KX3 is threaded 1/2x28 TPI Class 2A internally, and features a unique design which helps maximize gas entrapment. The KX3 is made of heat treated 4140 Chrome Moly and Mil Spec parkerized and heat treated 4140 CM. This is avalible as a complete unit ready to install on any 1/2x28 USGI threaded barrelfor 5.56 or 5/8X24 for the .308/6.8 SPC Model. The US made KX3 has been cleaned up cosmetically from the earlier KFH and is lighter in weight, This lets US control availability and quality control. The new Noveske KX3 is made to exacting tolerances with specific materials. And proudly made in the USA.

This is not a sound suppressor.

Primary Weapon Systems (PWS): DNTC

Length: 2"
Diameter: .865"
Weight: ?
Price: $69.95

Birdcage Vs. DNTC
One Handed

The DNTC Compensator, designed in collaboration with professional shooter Dave Neth, does its job without the harsh blast of other effective compensators on the market. These parts are 100% American made.

Flash Hiding Compensators

Primary Weapon Systems (PWS): FSC556

Length: 2.10"
Diameter: .865"
Weight: 2 oz
Price: $99.95

Full Auto at 15m
PWS: DNTC Vs. PWS: FSC556
More Full Auto Action

This FSC556 Tactical Compensator has all of the compensation of the standard DNTC compensator combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight.

This device has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE. See the document here.

This device was also designed to accommodate suppressors such as the Gemtech HALO and therefore comes with a peel washer.

Muzzle Devices Designed to Work with Suppressors

B.E. Meyers: 249

Length: 2.75"
Diameter: 0.865"
Weight: 2.5 oz
Price: $

The B.E. Meyers 249 Series Flash Hider fits to your 5.56mm rifle, and is lightweight at only 2.5 oz. Our flash hiders virtually eliminate muzzle flash, preserving night vision while firing, preventing enemy detection of friendly positions and is easy and quick to install with no tools required. Different models are available for compatibility with a variety of other weapons and silencers.

Surefire FH556-212A

Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $108.00

Enables attachment of FA556K or FA556-212 suppressors to Colt Commando, M4, M16, HK416, and to other 5.56mm (.223 cal.) semi-auto, bolt-action, or assault rifles with Mil-Spec 1/2-28 muzzle threads. This adapter functions alone as a high-performance flash hider when the suppressor is removed.

FEATURES:

• Provides rock-solid suppressor attachment in seconds without tools

• Precise tolerances provide minimal and consistent zero shift regardless of number of attach/detach cycles

• Acts as flash hider/compensator when suppressor is removed

• High resistance to heat and gas/particle erosion

• Installation requires no permanent modifications for M4, M16, AR15 type weapons with Mil-Spec 1/2-28 muzzle threads

• [/ul]

Vltor: VC-1

Length: ?
    Diameter: .866"/22mm
    Weight: ?
    Price: $59.95

[span style='color: blue;']Made specifically for Gemtech HALO Suppressor. When mounted to a 14.5-inch barrel, overall length extends 16-inches

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 12:48:46 PM EDT
    [#1]
    Have I been wasting my time with this? 94 views and no opinions?
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:15:23 PM EDT
    [#2]
    For my purpose and if I was going to change out my factory setup I'd go with the Yankee Hill. The majority of my shooting (at least now that I retired) is recreational and the YH would do nicely.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:21:13 PM EDT
    [#3]
    I'm installing the DNTC tonight

I'll report back
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:22:12 PM EDT
    [#4]
    Unless you need a supressor mount or to make a 14.5" 16.0" the standard A2 works just fine....
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:23:14 PM EDT
    [#5]
    My choice below(Miculek).  I am very happy with mine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/942876.jpg
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:27:48 PM EDT
    [#6]
    A2 is ok with me.  If I were going to put anything else on it would be a Vortex.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:31:17 PM EDT
    [#7]
    Quoted:
    A2 is ok with me.  If I were going to put anything else on it would be a Vortex.

I think I am going to swap mine for a Phantom.  I could not tell the difference in flash suppression, but the blasted ringing every time I pick my gun up is aggravating..
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:36:39 PM EDT
    [#8]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

I think I am going to swap mine for a Phantom.  I could not tell the difference in flash suppression, but the blasted ringing every time I pick my gun up is aggravating..

You have a vortex or an A2?
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:45:37 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Sorry, vortex..

I have an A2 on another gun as well, and it is flashier, but not bad, but it is too short for the 14.5 that has the Vortex on it.  

I just sold a 14.5 with a Phantom on it and am already missing the phantom, but not really the rest of the upper.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:00:18 PM EDT
    [#10]
    I like the Saylor Phoenix on my middy alot.  Of the ones you have there I'd go with the Vltor.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:05:06 PM EDT
    [#11]
    since i shoot a real caliber this is my choice

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:06:43 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Sorry, vortex..

I have an A2 on another gun as well, and it is flashier, but not bad, but it is too short for the 14.5 that has the Vortex on it.  

I just sold a 14.5 with a Phantom on it and am already missing the phantom, but not really the rest of the upper.

I have a Stoll flash suppressor on a FAL.  I have never noticed it ringing when I picked it up.  If I take it off and tap it on the table it's like a tuning fork.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:35:54 PM EDT
    [#13]
    vortex

Although I have shot an AR with all of these except the AAC blackout.

I do NOT like the YHM. they look and seem cheaply constructed compared with the others here.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:38:53 PM EDT
    [#14]
    Quoted:

Does anyone know if this one is legal in NY. I hear nothing but good about it.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:56:17 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

dont know if its leagal in NY...if brakes are, it should be

the miculek is tops for the price, almost as good as my Cooley, which is my prefered brake
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:04:54 PM EDT
    [#16]
    I have a Surefire FH556 Flash Hider just because it looks good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:16:33 PM EDT
    [#17]
    Quoted:
    since i shoot a real caliber this is my choice
    http://www.jtacsupply.com/images/products/detail/FSC30_L_1.jpg

+1

The FSC 30 and FSC 5.56 are excellent if you want a comp that is not too blasty and still provides some flash suppression.

Others I have are several vortex's, a few phantoms (the earlier four port models), and a couple of A2's.  I like the vortex and phantom pretty much equally - both give excellent flash suppression on 14.5" barrels and 16" barrels I have them on.

Oh, and I like the ping from the vortex.  It gives me comfort.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:17:19 PM EDT
    [#18]
    Quoted:

Thanks Gcsniper.

Do you (or anyone else) have any info on this? There are a few blanks I would like to fill in.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:24:13 PM EDT
    [#19]
    I have an FSC556 on my LaRue SPR build and like it.  Loud, but very little muzzle movement.  It took a full peel washer plus one layer to get it to index properly.

I just put a Vortex on my LMT piston and have not experienced any ringing.  Could the heavier profile barrel inhibit the ringing folks talk about?

I'm really interested in trying the SF brakes and FHs and see how they compare to my current stuff and the A2s I have.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:24:47 PM EDT
    [#20]
    The Blackout you pictured is the AAC mount version, it's listed for $99.  The non-mount version has no teeth and external threads, which sells for less.

You might want to change muzzle "break" to "brake"
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:27:00 PM EDT
    [#21]
    Vortex.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:32:17 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Ops Inc. 2 port brake

Flash suppressor that screws on the 2 port brake's external threads

Head on view of a Blackout (mount version)
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:41:30 PM EDT
    [#23]
    Quoted:
    The Blackout you pictured is the AAC mount version, it's listed for $99.  The non-mount version has no teeth and external threads, which sells for less.

You might want to change muzzle "break" to "brake"

Ok... Busted.. This is one of those times that spellcheck didn't help.
    Thanks for the tip

I had a hard time finding info on the Blackout products. Their site has been "under construction" for a while.
    What I need is a picture of what the description reads. If you could help that would be great.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:49:48 PM EDT
    [#24]
    I can indeed

The AAC Blackout comes in three versions:
    18 tooth, for their M4-1000 sound suppressor
    51 tooth, for their M4-2000 sound suppressor
    Non-mount, has no external threads or "teeth" for mounting a sound suppressor.

Photo from defensereview.com

BE Meyers supposedly is suing AAC, for the Blackout looks like theirs because the Blackout has a ridge machined into each prong

This is a 18 tooth Blackout
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 6:24:31 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Quoted:
    I can indeed

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/hidersut5.jpg

BE Meyers supposedly is suing AAC, for the Blackout looks like theirs because the Blackout has a ridge machined into each prong

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/untitled4.jpg

Thanks for the help Duffy. Now i know visually what I'm looking for. All I need is a picture of that flash suppresser by itself.

BTW: that is a sweet gun! (no expense spared!)
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 6:27:18 PM EDT
    [#26]
    great info. Just ordered a new middy upper with a DNTC.
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 6:48:03 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Thanks Arms Reach, for some reason I like flash suppressors and muzzle brakes, I'll take some pictures of the ones I have.  Some won't apply to AR15s because they're HK and FN specific, but on Ops Inc. alone I have a three prong, A2, 2 port brake, the slip on flash suppressor that goes over the 2 port brake

Meanwhile, here are some Surefire goodness:
    SF brake and compensator
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 8:06:10 PM EDT
    [#28]

Some more Surefire FH556-212A candy for you guys.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 8:28:24 PM EDT
    [#29]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

yup
    Link Posted: 1/4/2009 8:38:48 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Quoted:

I have one of these also...but I'm getting rid of it for the standard A2 flash hider....
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 9:17:17 AM EDT
    [#31]
    I have a JP "recoil eliminator" compensator on my SPR.  This reduces recoil down to almost nothing, but is very blasty, and loud.  For my short range zombie/burglar ar i use a noveske kx3 because it reduces sound as much as you can without getting a suppressor, reduces recoil, and flames shoot out when u shoot it...which, though not very functional, is pretty damn cool.
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
    [#32]
    Also, has anyone used both an fsc556 compensator and a noveske kx3?  Any preferences?  Anyone else like the noveske kx3?
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 10:01:02 AM EDT
    [#33]
    I use the Miculek comp, seems to keep the red dot from bouncing around.
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:12:20 PM EDT
    [#34]
    FSC556, I have really enjoyed this piece.  Great combination of compensation and flash suppression.  Check out the videos on PWS's website if you havent already.
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:13:34 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Quoted:
    FSC556, I have really enjoyed this piece.  Great combination of compensation and flash suppression.  Check out the videos on PWS's website if you havent already.

Or.. just below the picture on the first page where I stuck em.
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:26:02 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Quoted:
    Also, has anyone used both an fsc556 compensator and a noveske kx3?  Any preferences? Anyone else like the noveske kx3?

I posted it up front for ya

ETA: With the only stupid vid I could find...

Do you have any of the missing info (front post)? I normally toss that kinda paperwork. You may too.
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:04:11 PM EDT
    [#37]

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 7:41:54 PM EDT
    [#38]
    I am starting my SBR project and was really thinking about using the "Pig" (Noveske).  It seems to be more of a blast reducer than a compensator.  That PWS comp might be a better direction.  Interesting.  Anyone have both?
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 7:54:18 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Quoted:
    I have an FSC556 on my LaRue SPR build and like it.  Loud, but very little muzzle movement.  It took a full peel washer plus one layer to get it to index properly.

i used a crush washer.by what the directions said,it should be good to go.but won`t realy know till i hit the fields.i only have 1 peel washer and a few crush.might have to order a other peel just in case
    Link Posted: 1/5/2009 8:34:49 PM EDT
    [#40]
    A2 is good enough for me.  The only reason I could see to upgrade is if I were to get an SBR, just to deal with the flash, or a QD mount for a .223 can.
    Link Posted: 2/8/2009 8:46:05 PM EDT
    [#41]
    This is the best brake I've used.  Its amazingly effective and a pretty close copy of the JP  (not a bad thing) but with a strike tip.  (purely cosmetic, but it looks cool and costs less than the JP.

Link Posted: 2/8/2009 9:08:43 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Quoted:
    This is the best brake I've used.  Its amazingly effective and a pretty close copy of the JP  (not a bad thing) but with a strike tip.  (purely cosmetic, but it looks cool and costs less than the JP)

Do you mind telling us what it is?
    Link Posted: 2/8/2009 10:27:03 PM EDT
    [#43]
    I've been eyeing the PWS FSC556. I think I will get it this weekend.
    Link Posted: 2/8/2009 10:41:59 PM EDT
    [#44]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    This is the best brake I've used.  Its amazingly effective and a pretty close copy of the JP  (not a bad thing) but with a strike tip.  (purely cosmetic, but it looks cool and costs less than the JP)
    http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/DSC09992C.jpg

Do you mind telling us what it is?

It's a POF flash hider.  I had to guess, and search.

http://www.pof-usa.com/parts/arparts.htm
    Link Posted: 2/8/2009 10:55:27 PM EDT
    [#45]
    I have a VLTOR comp1 I am putting on my gun, I'll have a comparison between that and nothing pretty soon.  I'll post it here when I do.  I will say that it is a work of art.
    Link Posted: 2/9/2009 6:34:01 AM EDT
    [#46]
    Quoted:
    I can indeed

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/hidersut5.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/untitled4.jpg

1. You forgot about the other mount for the SPR/M4.
    2. AAC was going to subcontract the flash hider from BE Meyers till they made their own flash hider... the Blackout.  As far as I know they (BE Meyers) dropped the lawsuit some time ago.  The new SPR/M4 flash hiders have a tear drop shaped flute... same direction of the BE Meyers tear drop flute but it goes all the way to the end.

I have used the Pahntom, Vortex, and Blackout all on my SBR.  The Vortex and Blackout are noticably better than the Pahntom for flash... they lack the little jets of flame out the ports.  The Blackout is better constructed than the Vortex, better material and better finish.  If I had to give an adge where its too close to call Id say the Blackout is better than the Vortex for flash but thats cutting too close to call or even matter from a practical perspective.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 6:38:41 AM EDT
    [#47]
    YHM Phantom for me.

AP
    Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:06:57 AM EDT
    [#48]
    Link Posted: 2/9/2009 3:26:29 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Yes indeed I forgot the Blackout for AAC's 2 point cans
    Image from Polite Society.
    Link Posted: 2/9/2009 3:41:47 PM EDT
    [#50]
    This is the one I like.  Very stable and little if any visable flash. Quites it down just a bit

Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 2
    Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
    AR Sponsor: bravocompany
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top