Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2008 7:22:26 AM EDT
I thought I'd posted this here yesterday but cannot seem to find my post...

I am considering a semiautomatic rifle for fun at the range, and am somewhat familiar with the M-16 since I use it in the military.

I'm considering the LAR-8 (Rock River Arms) or AR-10.  Currently in Iraq, so can't look at either rifle up close at this time since I'm not near a rifle store, but was wondering about the basics.  Do either of these rifles have the selectable three-burst/single shot mode?

Do both rifles allow for installation of a night-vision scope?  I'm considering the 16" barrel versions of each (A4??)

Finally, what are the differences between the rifles made during the ban period, versus those available now?

New to purchasing firearms... just want to make the correct decision.

Thank you,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
you may want to check if you posted in the AR-10 forum.

Neither are select fire.

Link Posted: 9/23/2008 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your reply.  I'll check the AR10 section.

What firing modes are available with these, then?  Surely they're not just single shot at a time...?

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#3]
semi-automatic. one squeeze of the trigger equals one round fired. as the next round is chambered, the trigger automatically resets itself.

i wouldn't want a .308 in fully-auto or burst anyhow. the ammo is too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What firing modes are available with these, then?  Surely they're not just single shot at a time...?

Mike

Semi auto is all we civilians get. as previously stated, .308 gets expensive real fast. Also, you probably couldn`t control either on full auto. The Army couldn`t make a full auto M-14 work well, and AR type rifles are lighter.

That being said the ArmaLite AR-10 has been around a lot longer and has a good track record , and good customer service from ArmaLite. I own a couple and I`m happy with them. It is howerever one of the more expensive .308 variants out here. If money is an issue, you might want to look at the DPMS .308.  It`s cheaper and it mags interchange with the SR-25. HTH and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
OK... Well, that takes some of the fun out of owning one...  
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Mike

Semi auto is all we civilians get. as previously stated, .308 gets expensive real fast. Also, you probably couldn`t control either on full auto. The Army couldn`t make a full auto M-14 work well, and AR type rifles are lighter.

That being said the ArmaLite AR-10 has been around a lot longer and has a good track record , and good customer service from ArmaLite. I own a couple and I`m happy with them. It is howerever one of the more expensive .308 variants out here. If money is an issue, you might want to look at the DPMS .308.  It`s cheaper and it mags interchange with the SR-25. HTH and thanks for your service.

How is the trigger feel on the AR-15 and AR-10?  How many times can one fire the weapon per second?
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

How is the trigger feel on the AR-15 and AR-10?  How many times can one fire the weapon per second?

as quick as you can pull the trigger, but you probly cant keep it on target that fast. .308 is a lot harsher than 5.56.

the LAR takes cheaper more common magazines (FAL magazines). it is slightly longer (an inch or so) due to this. It is a heavily redesigned version of bushmaster's .308. the bushmaster version was initially developed by RRA and sold to bushmaster. however bushmaster brought it to market before it was finished and broken bolts was the result. RRA has spent years redesigning it and perfecting all of the problems.

as far as everything else goes, both receivers are forged 7075 aluminum, and midlength gas systems for both RRA and AR-10. DPMS uses weaker aluminum that is milled into shape, causing a slightly weaker recevier. but you would never know. DPMS alsu uses a harsher carbine length gas system. DPMS is however about 200$ cheaper.

I plan on buying an LAR-8 for cheaper mags. ammo is $.50/rd so I wanna save where I can.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
OK... Well, that takes some of the fun out of owning one...  How
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
OK... Well, that takes some of the fun out of owning one...  Howh
Appreciate replies to this thread that discuss some of the history behind the RRA LAR-8 and the AR-10... I'm learning.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
you can get a full auto m4 - but the auto sear is gonna cost about 6k-8k.  Plus the $200 tax stamp dont you love gun control!
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top