BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Augee's bastard recce was really cool, too. Very early GWOT bonafides.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
" />
Would easily be me favorite rig if I only had an nxs
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quite honestly my favorite rifle on this website
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gaston4:
Quickly becoming my favorite 5.56 to shoot, probably tied for first for my favorite rifle in my collection. Need to find a way to secure my tapeswitch.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8678/28660168133_f160af60fc_b.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. I can't say enough about the Short dot. Reticle pics online don't do it justice.

@UsubM yes that's mine too. Same tile as well was about a year ago before I made the decision to go for a Short Dot
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. I can't say enough about the Short dot. Reticle pics online don't do it justice.

@UsubM yes that's mine too. Same tile as well was about a year ago before I made the decision to go for a Short Dot
View Quote

And a different mount.  And somehow you don't lose points from everyone.     I like the taller mount.  I wish I had one of those.   But yeah, your recce is sweeeeeeeeeeeet.    So you said it's tied for your favorite, what is it tied with?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a recce in the recent stories about Matt Chapman.

NYTimes

Tribunist

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

And a different mount.  And somehow you don't lose points from everyone.     I like the taller mount.  I wish I had one of those.   But yeah, your recce is sweeeeeeeeeeeet.    So you said it's tied for your favorite, what is it tied with?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol the Larue is probably more correct for the build than the Arms. Yeah it's surprised me how comfortable it is. And it's tied with my M110K1 clone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#8]

yep fb got blown up on that today.

thats pretty much my ideal RECCE. would be nice to have that style one day
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:54:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jax_Guns] [#9]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

View All Quotes

His rifle was discussed on page 135 of this thread.

It has a KAC rifle length FF rail, a 14.5" barrel (look how little of the barrel is past the rail), a KAC NT4 and a Leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari-X III (the old tactical line) or MK4. It is impossible to tell if the barrel is a standard M4 or something else like a SS barrel but since it has a low power scope on it I would assume it has the standard M4.

It would actually be a fairly easy and less expensive build to do if you had the suppressor - I mean at least compared to a MRE with a Shortdot. The most expensive parts would be the KAC FF rail and scope - probably about $350 each on the EE.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:18:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#10]
It seems like I keep seeing some kind of blob on the barrel, (or like hanging off the front of the rail or something.....) like it's a fold down front sight.  Like on the SAM-R's.  But it's very blurry and I don't know if my mind is making that up.   And it looks like he has a rear buis.  So.....  anyone got a handle on that?  Because if it's a fold down on the barrel, on the very front of a 14.5, that would be very odd.  But I guess possible......  ???  Looks more like something hanging over the rail though...  I think.  Or it's nothing.  I don't know.

Yeah, it looks like he's got something that folds flat, that's hanging off the front of the rail, above the barrel.  But attached on the end of the rail.  Eh?   I don't know what kind of front sight that would be.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems like I keep seeing some kind of blob on the barrel, (or like hanging off the front of the rail or something.....) like it's a fold down front sight.  Like on the SAM-R's.  But it's very blurry and I don't know if my mind is making that up.   And it looks like he has a rear buis.  So.....  anyone got a handle on that?  Because if it's a fold down on the barrel, on the very front of a 14.5, that would be very odd.  But I guess possible......  ???  Looks more like something hanging over the rail though...  I think.  Or it's nothing.  I don't know.

Yeah, it looks like he's got something that folds flat, that's hanging off the front of the rail, above the barrel.  But attached on the end of the rail.  Eh?   I don't know what kind of front sight that would be.
View Quote

All I heard was "Someone should build a recce with an m4 barrel, FF carbine RAS, and PRI folding gasblock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

All I heard was "Someone should build a recce with an m4 barrel, FF carbine RAS, and PRI folding gasblock.
View All Quotes

make it a URX2 and a KAC FSGB and you'll have this:

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#14]

View All Quotes

Yeah, but aren't those things (PRI folding gas block sight) worth their weight in diamonds?  I mean, it would just be insane.  

That's a good one silky.  Not something I've seen a lot of.  I don't think.  But at first I was thinking that folding sight was way down on the end of a 14.5 barrel.  I guess it you could do like a 605 barrel.   I think they were only like 15 some odd inches.  Not a full 16".  I don't know for sure.   Anyways..  Either way that build is dissyish with that long of a rail.  Like WormyDogs top one there.  Nice.   Hey Wormydog, how much does that thing weigh without the can?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:41:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#15]

Yeah, but aren't those things (PRI folding gas block sight) worth their weight in diamonds?  I mean, it would just be insane.  

That's a good one silky.  Not something I've seen a lot of.  I don't think.  But at first I was thinking that folding sight was way down on the end of a 14.5 barrel.  I guess it you could do like a 605 barrel.   I think they were only like 15 some odd inches.  Not a full 16".  I don't know for sure.   Anyways..  Either way that build is dissyish with that long of a rail.  Like WormyDogs top one there.  Nice.   Hey Wormydog, how much does that thing weigh without the can?
View All Quotes

PRI is still made.

The KAC FSGB silky posted is worth its weight in diamonds.

Edit - Were URX's used in the wild?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]

PRI is still made.

View All Quotes

PRI is still made.

I think JJ was referring to an original "wheeled" PRI.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

View All Quotes

PRI is still made.

I was just referring to the proposal to add a ffras and a flip up gas block.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jax_Guns] [#18]
Originally Posted By SilkyJohnson:

http://i.imgur.com/D1agyMe.jpg
View All Quotes

Do you have more info on the pic? Looks like it might be contractor due to the KAC SR-16 lower

I also have the twin of that upper. Will post pics later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Wormydog1987:
<a href="http://s416.photobucket.com/user/wormydog1724/media/9BB6C050-16B7-45FD-809C-FC6D40A451F3_zpsmpcand0y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/9BB6C050-16B7-45FD-809C-FC6D40A451F3_zpsmpcand0y.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice pair (that's what she said haha).

I wish KAC would make an upper/rifle with a 16" stainless barrel so I could run it as a SOPMOD-esque kit with an 11.5" CQB upper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#20]

View All Quotes

PRI is still made.

The one that nobody can get for their SAM-R's without selling a few children and knocking over a jewelry store.  I don't know the exact name.  

ETA:  Yeah I was WRONG AGAIN.  It's not a PRI but the KAC.  Sheeeez.  If I'd ever learn.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Hard to believe that's a .mil carbine.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Jax_Guns:

It has a KAC rifle length FF rail, a 14.5" barrel (look how little of the barrel is past the rail), a KAC NT4 and a Leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari-X III (the old tactical line) or MK4. It is impossible to tell if the barrel is a standard M4 or something else like a SS barrel but since it has a low power scope on it I would assume it has the standard M4.

It would actually be a fairly easy and less expensive build to do if you had the suppressor - I mean at least compared to a MRE with a Shortdot. The most expensive parts would be the KAC FF rail and scope - probably about $350 each on the EE.

http://www.sgtmacsbar.com/CCTPhotos/Gallery24/Silver%20Stars/Chapman01.jpg

View All Quotes

http://www.sgtmacsbar.com/CCTPhotos/Gallery24/Silver%20Stars/Chapman01.jpg

Kids, this is Recce 101. Take notes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View All Quotes

Is that Jason Everman? The rifle looks very similar to Stoner marked rifle he has in the more popular snowy mountain pic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Is that Jason Everman? The rifle looks very similar to Stoner marked rifle he has in the more popular snowy mountain pic.
View All Quotes

That is the man. And I believe that's the same gat.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Always wondered what the deal with that was. If he was testing stuff in theatre or where those were taken.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Always wondered what the deal with that was. If he was testing stuff in theatre or where those were taken.
View All Quotes

Same gat-piece, Kunar Province.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:35:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#27]
Okay... I finally have a plan.  In sticking with what we've been talking about, I'm turning my block 1 into a recce.  I'm going to throw a leupy 1-4 (unless I find a cheap varix 1.5-5) on it with ARMS rings.

The tricky part; the riser.  Is the KAC 98053 unobtainium?  

edit - rifle it's happening to

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Okay... I finally have a plan.  In sticking with what we've been talking about, I'm turning my block 1 into a recce.  I'm going to throw a leupy 1-4 (unless I find a cheap varix 1.5-5) on it with ARMS rings.

http://shop.knightarmco.com/productimages/ARMCO///98053.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rebeltilldeath3/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/20160813_153407_zpsc6neakuu.jpg
View Quote

Only place to get them is to order direct from KAC:

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98053
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

http://shop.knightarmco.com/productimages/ARMCO///98053.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rebeltilldeath3/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/20160813_153407_zpsc6neakuu.jpg

Odd.  Last night when I added it to my cart, when I clicked "add to cart" it kicked me back to the home page like it was a dead link.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#30]
My simple start.  Anderson lower, BCM 16" upper with a Vortex Strike Eagle. Eventually will put a nicer trigger in it, maybe the MBT

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Odd.  Last night when I added it to my cart, when I clicked "add to cart" it kicked me back to the home page like it was a dead link.
View Quote

It does that. You have to view your shopping cart to see it.

Sometimes it will kick you back to the home page (e.g., if you have already been on the site, left, then return), in which case you just have to navigate back to the page. I just added one to my cart to test and it looks to be there.

If they are out of stock it won't give you the option of adding to the cart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:27:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Arson8Ball] [#32]
If you to Velocity Systems and MAYBE Mayflower RC's Facebook pages there's lots of pictures of a grey bearded SF dude with a blurred out face who has 11.5 barreled SR16s in Afghanistan. I don't have the pictures saved but they're worth checking out. SF units do some weird unit level purchases of weapons and gear, so I figured some of them bought SR16s. One of my co workers (former Green Beret) units had Glocks, USPs, 1911s, M9s and a couple Sigs in their armory during the 2004ish Iraq time frame.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
My "Recce". Far right.

Circa 2006, Kunar Province, Afghanistan

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Another Pic. Different province, same year.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Smithy:
My "Recce". Far right.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ryan1105/media/DSC_0176-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/DSC_0176-2.jpg</a>
View Quote

What makes it a recce? It just looks like a regular M4 to me
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#37]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/paper_zps39783bd4.jpg
View Quote

Put a variable-powered scope on Mr. Mark Nineteen and you'd technically have a recce.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Put a variable-powered scope on Mr. Mark Nineteen and you'd technically have a recce.
View All Quotes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/paper_zps39783bd4.jpg

It's Mr. Mark fortyseven, but yeah.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:

View All Quotes
My "Recce". Far right.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ryan1105/media/DSC_0176-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/DSC_0176-2.jpg</a>

Apparently that's the beauty of the made up term "recce", which judging from this and other threads is any ar15 with a barrel from 10- 16", he'll any barrel really, that has any magnified optic from 2x- 10ish?

Amirite?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Apparently that's the beauty of the made up term "recce", which judging from this and other threads is any ar15 with a barrel from 10- 16", he'll any barrel really, that has any magnified optic from 2x- 10ish?

Amirite?
View All Quotes

My "Recce". Far right.

Amirite?

Depends on who you ax.

My definition? 14.5" - 16" with a FF rail and a variable-powered optic, carbine stock. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Depends on who you ax.

My definition? 14.5" - 16" with a FF rail and a variable-powered optic, carbine stock. YMMV.
View All Quotes
My "Recce". Far right.

Amirite?

Depends on who you ax.

Good thing it's all based on opinion. By your definition this thread would be much shorter.

I actually have one that better qualifies but I thought I would post a pic of my humble M4 with acog, that performed well at "recce" range, whatever the hell that is.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#42]

View All Quotes
My "Recce". Far right.

Looks like some kind of rail with rail covers, too.  Barrel length looks like it might be 16", but hard to tell.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Looks like some kind of rail with rail covers, too.  Barrel length looks like it might be 16", but hard to tell.
View All Quotes
My "Recce". Far right.

Yeah, the KAC M4 RAS that all M4s have.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Depends on who you ax.

View All Quotes
Depends on who you ax.

I've always fallen into this belief as well. A free float was a must, as was a LPVO (1-"x" magnification)

Per the great knowledge of Wikipedia :

The SEAL Recon Rifle was initially built in-house with the only specifications being the ability to shoot any 5.56×45mm cartridge in inventory (at the time this included the first iterations of the 77-grain (5 g) Mk 262 Mod 0 cartridge), and that the rifle have a barrel 16 inches (406 mm) in length.[1]

The barrel blanks have a 1:8 in (203 mm) twist and are stainless steel.[citation needed] They have a unique heavy barrel profile, starting with 0.980 in (25 mm) in diameter for the first 2.60 in (66 mm) of length, then narrowing down to 0.850 (22 mm) in diameter, 0.750 in (19 mm) in diameter underneath the front sight block, and 0.725 in (18 mm) in diameter to the muzzle. The barrels have the Ops Inc 12th model suppressors with the specified muzzle brake to mount the suppressor. A carbine-length gas system is used. These barrels were mated to flat top upper receivers, and back up iron sights (BUIS) from KAC (Knight Armament Corporation).

Beyond this, exact specifications vary. Since they were built in house, they seem to have been accessorized to personal preferences, with fixed (A1 and A2 styles) and retractable butt-stocks. (Original 4-point and improved 6-point Colt stocks, and the Crane/SOCOM/LMT stock are all in use.) Recon rifles built by Crane are reportedly all fitted with a free-float handguard system, the most popular being the Knight's Armament Co. M4 Match RAS and the LaRue free-float handguards in the longer lengths (which protect the barrel and provide more area to mount tactical accessories). Some operators reportedly use various back-up iron sights (BUISs) by Knight's, ARMS Inc, and Troy Industries, while others do not. The range of optics used on Recon rifles is wide, with various models by Trijicon (like ACOG TA01, TA31F), Leupold (TS-30A1, TS-30A2), and NightForce in use.

Due to the secretive nature of the end-users, first-hand information and data regarding the Recon rifles seems to be quite rare. How much these specifications have changed with regards to Crane's "production" rifle is unknown

I'm sure there is much disagreement with wikipedia given the knowledge of guys first hand here, and the research, time, and direct work related experience with these weapons, but in my opinion, weapons like Wheelman's ( I think it was his and a few others, so I apologize if I left you out) that utilize the KAC Long FF RAS, ops 12 brake and collar, Nightforce Optic, etc. was what was always understood by me to be THE  Recce rifle without muddying up the definition to fit more into the club.

Depending on the validity of the Wiki definition given above, what catches my eye is the CLGS used. I would assume this is just to keep standardized parts on hand when it comes to rebuilding the weapon or servicing (gas tubes, buffers, springs, etc) So as not to increase inventory that needs tracked, but obviously could be wrong.  

On the other hand, Guys that have direct experience with a regular M4 and tossing a variable powered optic on it could have a weapon with more or less the same capabilities. So I guess I'm just as hazy on the "true" definition of "recce rifle" but if there is a build list with exact specs it would weed out some on here, but after a while, we would be right back where we are now with what's seen in the wild and what was considered to be a recce based on who used it/ what was issued/ etc.

We could just as easily start a new pic thread and call it "the official Mini-SPR thread" With the restrictions of Sub 18" Barrels only. Then I'm sure someone would post a CLE 17.8" Barrel and the flood gates would open.

So, My question to the Hive on my "Recce" Build list:

16" Larue Stealth Barrel
12" Larue Quad rail
Allen Engineering Brake - Might have a custom collar made or have the barrel profiled
B5 Ehanced Sopmod Stock
Standard Upper/ Lower receivers
Young's manufacturing BCG
Glass still up in the air (Leupold MK4 1.5-5, MK4 2.5-8x, Vortex 2.5-10 FFP, Vortex PST 1-4x MRAD)
KAC Bipod Mount
Harris BRMS
Geissele trigger (eventually an SSA-E probably)  

Is this going to be Recce "spec" enough ?

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:44:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jax_Guns] [#45]
I think there are two definitions of a Recce, the first being the military definition and the second being the looser one. Kind of like the MK12 SPR and non military SPRs.

I think the military definition is:

1. 14.5 or 16" barrel
2. FF rail made by KAC (rifle, medium or carbine RAS + MRE models and some of the early URX rails would qualify), ARMs SIR rails, Larue 7" to 12" rails and for early models Armalite or PRI FF tubes
3. Optics being Trijicon (ACOG, Accupoint), Leupold (1.5-5x, 3-9x36 and 3.5-10x40 Mark IVs or equivalent), NF (2.5-10x24/32), and S&B Shortdots
4. ARMs, Larue or KAC  mounts or some combination of these and MK4, Larue or KAC rings
5. All other parts would either be standard issue, used on other platforms, or come off the SOPMOD list - stuff like Surefire and M3X lights, SOPMOD stocks, etc.

On the bottom end you could take a M4, install a KAC or Larue 7" FF rail and a clamp on PRI sight and an ACOG and you would have one. The top end would have a Lijia barrel, a KAC rifle length FF rail and a NF scope.

Basically parts that were top of the line from 2000 to 2010 when most of these appear to have been in use.

The looser definition of one would be any rifle with a 14.5 to 16" barrel, a FF rail and magnified optics. Maybe this is an assumption but I also think if 14.5" the muzzle device would be perm attached and it not be an SBR.

Military models mostly from this thread:

Bottom pic is from the brue rifles thread and was posted by KevinB, guns are from 5th sfg.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#46]
My definition is based on the military definition since I'm such a clone whore.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:51:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Smithy] [#47]
I think there are two definitions of a Recce, the first being the military definition and the second being the looser one. Kind of like the MK12 SPR and non military SPRs.

1. 14.5 or 16" barrel
2. FF rail made by KAC (rifle, medium or carbine RAS + MRE models and some of the early URX rails would qualify), ARMs SIR rails, Larue 7" to 12" rails and for early models Armalite or PRI FF tubes
3. Optics being Trijicon (ACOG, Accupoint), Leupold (1.5-5x, 3-9x36 and 3.5-10x40 Mark IVs or equivalent), NF (2.5-10x24/32), and S&B Shortdots
4. ARMs, Larue or KAC  mounts or some combination of these and MK4, Larue or KAC rings
5. All other parts would either be standard issue, used on other platforms, or come off the SOPMOD list - stuff like Surefire and M3X lights, SOPMOD stocks, etc.

On the bottom end you could take a M4, install a KAC or Larue 7" FF rail and a clamp on PRI sight and an ACOG and you would have one. The top end would have a Lijia barrel, a KAC rifle length FF rail and a NF scope.

Basically parts that were top of the line from 2000 to 2010 when most of these appear to have been in use.

The looser definition of one would be any rifle with a 14.5 to 16" barrel, a FF rail and magnified optics. Maybe this is an assumption but I also think if 14.5" the muzzle device would be perm attached and it not be an SBR.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1222lux.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/25fsvv5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/CarbinePerfectionII001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/Recce-Iraq006a.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/utf-8BSU1BRzAwMjMuanBn-1.jpg

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Stottlemire_Delta.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q662/Vaughan06sf/7C0876B6-48BB-43EF-9B08-E8364FBC99CD_zpslda50jyt.jpg

Bottom pic is from the brue rifles thread and was posted by KevinB, guns are from 5th sfg.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/Iraq053.jpg
View Quote

Here, I found somewhat of a definition and it looks like there are quite a bit of "Recce" rifles that don't belong in this thread.

I found this on a wiki.

"The barrel blanks have a 1:8 in (203 mm) twist and are stainless steel.[citation needed] They have a unique heavy barrel profile, starting with 0.980 in (25 mm) in diameter for the first 2.60 in (66 mm) of length, then narrowing down to 0.850 (22 mm) in diameter, 0.750 in (19 mm) in diameter underneath the front sight block, and 0.725 in (18 mm) in diameter to the muzzle. The barrels have the Ops Inc 12th model suppressors with the specified muzzle brake to mount the suppressor. A carbine-length gas system is used. These barrels were mated to flat top upper receivers, and back up iron sights (BUIS) from KAC (Knight Armament Corporation).  Beyond this, exact specifications vary...."

According to that if your rifle doesn't contain those basic parts then its not a seal recon rifle.

But, like the rest of the definitions in this thread take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
My "Recce". Far right.

Most, but not all, and yes its a KAC m4 RAS.

Just a plain jane m4 with acog and crane stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:58:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jax_Guns] [#49]
There is picture evidence that other configurations were used by the SEALs and others. However the SEAL Recce Rifle, not recces used by SEALs, does require those parts.

Here, I found somewhat of a definition and it looks like there are quite a bit of "Recce" rifles that don't belong in this thread.

I found this on a wiki.

"The barrel blanks have a 1:8 in (203 mm) twist and are stainless steel.[citation needed] They have a unique heavy barrel profile, starting with 0.980 in (25 mm) in diameter for the first 2.60 in (66 mm) of length, then narrowing down to 0.850 (22 mm) in diameter, 0.750 in (19 mm) in diameter underneath the front sight block, and 0.725 in (18 mm) in diameter to the muzzle. The barrels have the Ops Inc 12th model suppressors with the specified muzzle brake to mount the suppressor. A carbine-length gas system is used. These barrels were mated to flat top upper receivers, and back up iron sights (BUIS) from KAC (Knight Armament Corporation).  Beyond this, exact specifications vary...."

According to that if your rifle doesn't contain those basic parts then its not a seal recon rifle.

But, like the rest of the definitions in this thread take it with a grain of salt.
View All Quotes

1. 14.5 or 16" barrel

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Stottlemire_Delta.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q662/Vaughan06sf/7C0876B6-48BB-43EF-9B08-E8364FBC99CD_zpslda50jyt.jpg

I found this on a wiki.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#50]
There is picture evidence that other configurations were used by the SEALs and others. However the SEAL Recce Rifle, not recces used by SEALs, does require those parts.

View All Quotes

1. 14.5 or 16" barrel

I found this on a wiki.

So really its anything with a magnified optic that is not considered an SPR.
Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top