Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2004 5:37:58 PM EDT
Does anybody have any experience with this unit, and if yes, how is it?  Is is a good optic for the price?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Which one?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Which one?

The 4X24 M2 .223 Tactical.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 10x56MM Illuminated-  Nice, bright but HUGE
I have a 6x30 M2 tactical now...A good value, eye relief is about 3inches.  So far I happy with it.

What did you want to know?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had a 10x56MM Illuminated-  Nice, bright but HUGE
I have a 6x30 M2 tactical now...A good value, eye relief is about 3inches.  So far I happy with it.

What did you want to know?

Just the basics...ability to hold zero when rifle is bounced around, clarity and just overall quality.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
IOR Scopes are rugged!  You could use them as jack handles I'm sure.  They are good values however they are large...which is not necessarily a bad thing.  My 10x was good enough to cause me to buy the 6x30.  The negative is you cant easily use a rear BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IOR Scopes are rugged!  You could use them as jack handles I'm sure.  They are good values however they are large...which is not necessarily a bad thing.  My 10x was good enough to cause me to buy the 6x30.  The negative is you cant use a rear BUIS.

Even the straight 4X with an ARMS 40L?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I couldnt say for sure w/the 4x...The 6x has a 35mm tube and uses 35mm rings which came with the scope and I havent explored getting an ARMS 38 S-ex.  I just took off the ARMS40 and I was G2G.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out this link.  

IOR 4X24 M2

I am testing one right now.  Seems to be adequate for what it is.  I don't expect sub-moa accuracy with it out to 800 yds (which is what the BDC goes out to) with my skills, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be decent out to 200-300yds.  The max I'll be able to shoot it will be 200yds.

Oh, BTW, you can mount a BUIS under it, but  just like most other magnified optics, the scope has to be dismounted to use the BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
IOR produce some excellent scopes and in terms of quality, they are tremendous value for money.  The company is the oldest optics manufacturer in the world and was the major producer of optics for the commie block (not cheap crap but real state-of-the-art kit).  The glass is by Schott of Germany and the majority have steel 30mm one-piece bodies.  

Scopes are virtually unbreakable and won't let you down, every one we have tested and deployed has functioned 100%.  

If it sounds like I am a bit of a fan, the truth is I like stuff that works and works well and if you are paying for it yourself (i.e. not the govt), it's a good move.  
HFG
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
For the money the IOR 4x24 is a good scope.  It's based upon the Soviet PSO-1 as used on the SVD Dragunov.  Optical quality is good with good resolution, which IOR is known for.  They utilize Schott glass.  Color rendition is also good.  The scope itself has a bright image with a 6mm Exit Pupil and a fairly wide 6 degree FOV.  Adjustments are repeatable, although the reticle does move in the FOV.

This is a military grade optic and is built very rugged out of quality materials.

I've used this optic (on an AK-74) out to 700 yards with zero problems in weather conditions down to -15 degrees F.

It's a good basic scope.

If I had a choice though I'd jump on their 1.1-4x26 with CQB reticle.  Have one in for testing now and this is quite the scope.  Compared it to a Schmidt&Bender 1.1-4x Short Dot developed for our military and it did very well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
While IOR does date back to 1936, it is by no means the oldest optical manufacturer in the world.  It has enjoyed close ties though with Carl Zeiss, Jena
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
History of IOR - Valdada
(Industry Optic Romania)

Superior quality German optical glass and Romanian high precision craftsmanship with over 100 years tradition, are joined under one roof, at IOR-Bucuresti. Romanian tradition in manufacturing the highest quality optics started in the late 1800's.

In 1936, Malaxa-Carp, Optique De Le Vollois and Bernard-Turnne, three of the most dynamic European companies, joined forces and opened IOR-Bucuresti, the leading military optics manufacturer in Europe.

1937-1945 : During the dark days of war and German occupation, most of the production at IOR was structured on manufacturing high precision military field optics (binoculars, sniper scopes, altimeters, compasses) and aiming apparatus for fighter planes, submarine periscopes, giant naval antiaircraft binoculars, artillery trench rangefinders, etc.

1967 : IOR starts expanding its collaboration with giant German manufacturers Pentacon, Fog-Gorlitz and Schneider.

1975 : IOR is completely refurbished with the latest technology. A second plant is opened (IOR II), and IOR starts a new level of collaboration with German companies: Carl Zeiss, Hensoldt, Leitz, Leica, producing a wide variety of optical systems and assemblies, at the highest quality of standards in the world.

1978 : IOR is one of the largest suppliers of Military optics.

1989 : IOR enters new fields of Opto-Electronics, Thermovision (infrared technics) etc.

1996 : IOR celebrates 60 years of tradition and excellence.

Link Posted: 6/30/2004 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
so where would be the best place to purchase one?  The only place I have seen them is in the BM catalog.

How long is the eye-relief on the 4X model?  Is it enough to mount the scope forward enough to allow mounting a BUIS?
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
so where would be the best place to purchase one?  The only place I have seen them is in the BM catalog.

Try here for $324:

Cactus Tactical Supply
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Cactus Tactical has the IOR 4X24 M2 .223 tactical rifle scope for $324.00, eye relief is 3 inches.
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#19]
You can mount a BUIS if you remove the rubber eyepiece.
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had that scope. ... The optics were good and it looked like you could use it as a billy club if forced to.
I seemed to have trouble getting my eye in the right spot with it, though I don't remembe seeing other people complain about that so maybe it was me?
I ended up selling it as I had a whim for something different one week, then I saw that guy resell it on the board not long afterr, not sure if that means anything or not.

Same here. Your not the only one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top