Author
Posted: 2/15/2010 3:54:14 PM EST
Trying to decide between which ar15 to purchase between the RRA Entry Operator or the Entry Tactical.
Any suggestions or experiences? What are the main differences between them?
Any info. is greatly appreciated as this is my first ar15 purchase; originally decided on a Colt ar15 but have since recently decided to go with Rock River Arms instead.000
Qman2
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:21:42 PM EST
The Entry Tactical is the one I bought and it comes with the Tactical Carry Handle. Users preference but I couldn't site in with the tactical carry handle and removed it. The Entry operation doesn't include it. I also noticed the Entry Operator has a different stock. Bottom line, the differences depends on the configuration that you buy
texjames
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2010 7:15:40 PM EST
I have the Entry Tactical also and ditched the handle asap and put a Aimpoint with QD mount on.Many folks myself included belive the tactical handle is about worthless.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
ronrolla
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/16/2010 1:23:24 PM EST
I actually just had one from the Operator Series arrive about 3 weeks ago. I however got the Tactical Operator. I'd say that if you go with one from the Operator series they have a sale on them going on until April 15th I believe. You also get your choice of a scope mount as well as your choice of several different rear sight assemblies. All those factors made it appealing to me. The only thing that seems to be different between the Entry Operator that you are looking at and the Tactical Operator I got is the barrel. I'm still fairly new to the AR platform but I have to say I love it so far. I personally didn't care too much for the Operator stock so I changed it out, but it wasn't that big a deal. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
dfmcki
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/19/2010 1:15:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2010 1:25:00 PM EST by dfmcki]
I would probably lean toward the Entry Operator as well. I picked up the Elite Operator a few weeks ago and it is a nice weapon. The differences between the two rifles you are looking at appear to be:

Trigger guard - winter version on Operator
Muzzle break on Operator vs. flash guard on Tactical series.
Hogue grip (tactical) vs. ergo grip (Operator)
1 extra mag included with Operator
regular scope mount with Operator is included
choice of 1 of 4 rear mounts with Operator.
Different stocks on each (I like the one on the Operator a bit more)

Seems like you get a little bit more bang for your buck with the $1060 Operator vs. the $995 Tactical and can pick a different rear sight assempbly if you don't like the tactical one.

(I actually order the Tactical rear assembly on my Elite Operator as I didn't really care all that much which assembly I picked up and was interested to see if the Tactical handle mount would work with my Strikefire Vortex and save me from putting a fold down rear sight on. It does work well with that set up as the Strikefire mounts have slots in them at exactly the right spot to allow you to use the iron sights perfectly. It changes your cheek weld when you use the red dot, which is a bit uncomfortable, but not undoable. I did ultimately go with a direct mount to the weapon top and flip up rear sight, but I am not ruling out returning to the tactical mount when the weather warms up and I get get out more and experiment with it. It allows a clean view through the sight without the front post in the way and if you are wearing a tac vest with weapon riding a bit high anyways I can see were the set up may be great, as long as you train enough to realize you are going to be about 3-4 inches above your point of impact at close range.)