Author
Posted: 8/23/2012 6:19:58 PM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2012 6:30:07 PM by SafetyFirst]
Any announcement or speculation on when the 6.8 SPC mags will be available? I will be in for several....

Edited: I was just told on a different forum the pmags are going to be proprietary for the LWRC 6.8 SPC...BUMMER...I so wanted them for my current 6.8...
glenn_r
low-speed high-drag
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2012 6:29:56 PM
I must have missed that announcement. Great!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
W. Churchill

Hold my donut and watch this!
esa17
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2012 7:11:22 PM
I'd buy a dozen 6.8 PMAGS today if they weren't specific to LWRC lowers.
oxmav3rickxo
Team Player
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2012 10:28:43 PM
[Last Edit: 8/26/2012 10:31:49 PM by oxmav3rickxo]
Originally Posted By esa17:

They won't be forever. LWRC is going to release the TDP for the dedicated 6.8 upper/lower receivers to the industry once they and Magpul are in full production. Everyone will be able to crank out a dedicated 6.8 AR, be it DI, Piston, Colt, BCM, DD, Larue, KAC, Noveske, whomever decides to use it.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." ~ Ernest Hemingway
esa17
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/27/2012 10:42:33 PM
Originally Posted By oxmav3rickxo:

They won't be forever. LWRC is going to release the TDP for the dedicated 6.8 upper/lower receivers to the industry once they and Magpul are in full production. Everyone will be able to crank out a dedicated 6.8 AR, be it DI, Piston, Colt, BCM, DD, Larue, KAC, Noveske, whomever decides to use it.

That's great but since I built myself a half-MOA rifle I'm not interested in loading up on any other proprietary equipment.
oxmav3rickxo
Team Player
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/28/2012 7:37:32 AM
Well they're going to sell the dedicated 6.8 receivers as receiver sets, so you'd be able to recycle your barrel assembly and LPK for the most part. You'd just need the new mag release and bolt release, which they'll probably include with the sets.

That's the plan anyway, so all you'd have to do is get Lego on it.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." ~ Ernest Hemingway
rotorblade
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2012 8:39:42 PM
[Last Edit: 8/29/2012 8:47:05 PM by rotorblade]
OH YES Magpulized 6.8 Pmaged DD DDM4V7 FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anybody see the 550 Brinell plate shot from 100 yrds with SSA AP. OMFG.

This will make me go over the edge and get into 6.8 SPC II. Keep hearing about it for months and now it seems to be happening and coming true.
The frost sometimes makes the blade stick!!
TheTacticalCoyote
I Aim To Misbehave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2012 10:04:47 PM
Originally Posted By rotorblade:

This will make me go over the edge and get into 6.8 SPC II. Keep hearing about it for months and now it seems to be happening and coming true.

Pics? Or is it the one on their website?
LCpl. Nigel K. Olsen March 4th, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
LCpl. Carlos C. Aragon March 1st, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
50cal
Useful posts.....13
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/30/2012 9:03:00 AM
Definately want the LWRC 6.8 lower and Magpul 6.8 mags for my upper. Don't give a flip if it makes it a dedicated rifle. It is that way now. This will be the cats ass!
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me and say "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
oxmav3rickxo
Team Player
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/30/2012 1:04:43 PM
You need the upper to go with it. Legacy uppers aren't compatible.
esa17
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/30/2012 8:28:00 PM

More reasons not to buy it. I am however excited about the ammunition choices showing up for the 6.8.
oxmav3rickxo
Team Player
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/31/2012 7:44:15 AM

More reasons not to buy it.

I get the impression that if you were handed a gold bar you'd complain it was too heavy
esa17
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/31/2012 7:55:11 AM
[Last Edit: 8/31/2012 7:56:18 AM by esa17]

I get the impression that if you were handed a gold bar you'd complain it was too heavy

Well, you'd be wrong. I love the 6.8 round and try to actively recruit people to it. What bugs me is the proprietary equipment.

Spending another 1.5k on a rifle I might not be able to get parts for in the future doesn't float my boat. It also seems to me that magpul is limiting their market by not creating a 6.8 mag that is compatible with a standard lower. Currently I use a 20rd 5.56 mag for some hunting situations but I download it to 6 rounds. I'd like to see a 5 and 10rd mag that fits in my existing lower. I like my magpul gear and won't be switching any time soon but the fact is I don't have the coin to drop on a new rifle.
50cal
Useful posts.....13
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/31/2012 8:46:04 AM
Hmmm, thought the LWRC lower would accept other uppers? Damn.
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me and say "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
TheTacticalCoyote
I Aim To Misbehave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/31/2012 11:22:18 AM

Well, you'd be wrong. I love the 6.8 round and try to actively recruit people to it. What bugs me is the proprietary equipment.

Spending another 1.5k on a rifle I might not be able to get parts for in the future doesn't float my boat. It also seems to me that magpul is limiting their market by not creating a 6.8 mag that is compatible with a standard lower. Currently I use a 20rd 5.56 mag for some hunting situations but I download it to 6 rounds. I'd like to see a 5 and 10rd mag that fits in my existing lower. I like my magpul gear and won't be switching any time soon but the fact is I don't have the coin to drop on a new rifle.

Magpul simply cannot do it with the current lower, the polymer would be too thin. It is not their fault. Seems like you should be blaming Eugene Stoner for making too small of a magwell.
LCpl. Nigel K. Olsen March 4th, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
LCpl. Carlos C. Aragon March 1st, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
oxmav3rickxo
Team Player
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/31/2012 1:18:02 PM

So I guess you missed a few facts:

1) Magpul has stated a million times that build a 6.8 PMAG for a 5.56 magwell wasn't doable because the polymer walls of the mag would be too thin and thus weaken its structural integrity. Hence, the slightly larger dedicated receivers, and the dedicated 30rd PMAGs.

2) You don't have to buy a new rifle. The upper/lower receivers, the LPK, and the BCG is all you need. All other AR-15 parts are compatible.

All in all, 6.8 is getting full attention rather than the half assed attempts that have been available. If you want more commonality between calibers and parts, go to .300BLK
oxmav3rickxo
Team Player
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/17/2012 3:05:51 PM
maleante
AUG > AR
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/21/2012 6:33:19 PM
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Originally Posted By rotorblade:

Pics? Or is it the one on their website?

0.5 inch AR 550 Brinell Armor plate. Shot an 8.5″ 6.8mm UCIW and SSA Armor Piercing ammunition at 100m. Full penetration.

I'll save my thoughts on the people who can spend any amount of dollars on a rifle but can't devote 20 minutes to getting their body in shape for another thread. -skinnysarge79
Halfbreed_83
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/23/2012 12:10:20 PM
Very happy about the cheaper 6.8spc ammo