Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 3:16:45 PM EDT
My daughter is a senior at the AFA. She has been offered a position as a 13BX Air Battle Manager. She is a bit shocked because she wasn't sure she would get a rated slot. She has a couple interviews lined up to learn more but she only has two days to accept the assignment or take her chances on another potentially non-rated position.

I know some of the basics about what an ABM does but I'd appreciate any other input.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
ABMs can either be aircrew members (E-3, E-8, Rivet Joint) or work ground-based assignments, and they will probably be able to bounce around once or twice before their initial committment is up.  I was an E-3 pilot for 8 years, so I've known plenty of ABMs.

The career field definitely has great opportunities.  And there is plenty of negatives about it as well (dog eat dog type stuff).  

Sucks she only has two days to consider!  
Is OSI an option for her?  Get some federal LEO credentials!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
She has a pre-law degree so OSI was on her radar. She did a summer assignment with a JAG group. Not sure if OSI made her career selection list.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go for it. Probably not the best job in the Air Force, but far from the worst. Being aircrew has perks, like more money. It also has downsides, like constant training and probably never actually getting to do the job. (Who's really going to tangle with us fighter vs fighter?)

What might she get if she turns ABM down?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely slot is an intelligence assignment. Not sure. I'm not .mil so this is all new to us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top