Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
My son shipped off to MCRD San Diego on the 21st last month.  We received his Plt # from the recruiter the following Monday at which time the flow of outbound mail began.  When his first letter arrived, the PLT was different so we adjusted per Recruiter instruction.

He's been sent no less than 20 letters from family and friends and per his letter we just received as of two day ago he had received none.  Is this some sort of BS game the program DI's play with the recruits or is it just shitty USG service?  Outsourced mail to the VA?

The wife and daughter are in the other room pissed/heart-broken.  We've received 5 letters from him so far the last just today wondering if he was going to see any letters from home...  That sucks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You sure you have the right address? Unless things have changed dramatically mail is something they never fuck with, even in boot camp.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as we know.   This is what we were told to use and what's on his return address from the letters we've received.

<removed address>.  Discovered that they aren't published for security reasons so I'll not pass it along...

Confirmed we're using the correct address as noted on the form letter received first.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Call  his recruiter
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Done.  He's looking into it but no answers otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
They never messed with our mail.  They made sure there wasn't anything that was considered "contraband" but otherwise, if it was addressed to you they gave it to you.

Well, after the 1st week or so.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than screening for contraband it is against Marine Corp regulations to interfere with mail
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Mail is something you don't fuck with; I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
yep, no one would dare to mess with the mail.  

Packages on the other hand will very likely be opened under supervision to keep contraband from entering their training environment.  Candy and cookies and F books will be the type of things that will get Jonny F'd with.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate the info folks.  We've only sent letters and cards along.  Monday he will have been there 4 weeks.  Based on what you're saying he should've seen 2/3 of that mail by now.  His letters have been reaching us in 2-3 days.  Something or someone is screwed up somewhere... Hopefully he'll get a bag-full of mail PDQ.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]

When I went mail was just like everything else government related, slow as fuck. IT took almost a week to receive a letter also considering how much moving around they do it gets hectic. Wait for his next letter and see if the address has changed.

Or maybe it is getting delivered wrong, had a friend of mine get delivered some mail that was supposed to get sent to someone over at MCT but some how found him (had a similar name but wasnt the intended recipient.)
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]
They'll do a lot of shit, but messing with a recruit's letters is way off limits.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]
and since it's only been a few weeks, it takes time to catch up with him.  It will happen again when he goes up north, then again when he goes back to MCRD.  Just part of the game. Most of it will catch up in MCT or A school. don't send anything to MCT, only a month long, just wait until he gets to school.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Believe me when I say...He ain't got time to write letters!
But he will reveal in receiving and reading everything he gets whenever he get's the chance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Writin' letters?

Ain't no recruit got time fo dat!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Well nothing yet.  Wife told the recruiter to hold off to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to the kid.  He's been there just over a month now.  I pray he stays strong, keeps his chin up and the mail eventually finds him.

Will he retain access to his phone and/or internet access after boot?  He's entered on an 0311 contract so I thought his next stop would be ITB/SOI.  59 days?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
You say he shipped the 21st last month. Thats 3 weeks.  Also keep in mind it may not even be getting to MCRD.

After boot camp he will have 10 days of leave. Then he will report to SOI at Pendleton. SOI will let him have his phone, but maybe not time to use it much.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If you don't get anywhere with the recruiter, you could call the Red Cross.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Send him 5lbs of Chewing Gum....It'll get to him.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Or instead of Recruit (his name), address it to Major (his name). Then the mail sorters will bust their ass so an officers letter won't be delayed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
At MCRD PI, one thing that was never messed with was our mail. The worst the DI's would do is make you open it in front of them if the letter felt bulky. All they did was check to make sure you weren't getting nudes or other contraband. Check with his recruiter, he'll be able to find out exactly what platoon he is in and get things squared away.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or instead of Recruit (his name), address it to Major (his name). Then the mail sorters will bust their ass so an officers letter won't be delayed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they wont.  They know that Maj Moron doesnt get mail at
1st RTB A Co Plt 1030
mrcd PI, sc
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#22]
He might be reading all the letters he has been sent, but has very little time to respond.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He might be reading all the letters he has been sent, but has very little time to respond.
View Quote

We were always given time to respond....Well, back in the Stone age (83)
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My son shipped off to MCRD San Diego on the 21st last month.  We received his Plt # from the recruiter the following Monday at which time the flow of outbound mail began.  When his first letter arrived, the PLT was different so we adjusted per Recruiter instruction.

He's been sent no less than 20 letters from family and friends and per his letter we just received as of two day ago he had received none.  Is this some sort of BS game the program DI's play with the recruits or is it just shitty USG service?  Outsourced mail to the VA?

The wife and daughter are in the other room pissed/heart-broken.  We've received 5 letters from him so far the last just today wondering if he was going to see any letters from home...  That sucks.
View Quote

We had a guy in basic that didn't get a single letter until the last week. Then they ALL showed up at once. DS made him push for each one too. That was funny.

My wife addressed mine wrong and they still showed up just fine. There must be a snafu somewhere in the pipe.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But he will reveal in receiving and reading everything he gets whenever he get's the chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Writin' letters?

Ain't no recruit got time fo dat!

Quoted:

Reading the OP? Ain't no GD'er got time fo dat!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well nothing yet.  Wife told the recruiter to hold off to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to the kid.  He's been there just over a month now.  I pray he stays strong, keeps his chin up and the mail eventually finds him.

Will he retain access to his phone and/or internet access after boot?  He's entered on an 0311 contract so I thought his next stop would be ITB/SOI.  59 days?
View Quote

Yeah he will have his phone and internet in SOI
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm happy to say that mail has started reaching him this week.  We just got a envelopes stuffed with 5 quick letters from him and the in-laws also confirmed they received a letter.  Seems he's missing his phone, interwebs, pizza and the cushy life at home.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Edit- I'm dumb and should have read the whole thread first.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad he's started getting it.  Keep track of all the things he says he is missing now. On boot leave he wont want most of it.  Also, you'll be back here telling us how much he's changed, more grown up now, more mature, confident.

Saved this thread, come back and read this. it always happens.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm a recruiter for the Army and have had several issues with parents saying that the soldiers aren't getting mail in a reasonable time. I've called the training unitsession for several people. I don't understand why it's taking so long for mail to be received.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad to see you are receiving the Recruits letters. We were REQUIRED to write home when I was in. Our first letter was dictated to us and we copied it verbatim.

Dear Mom and Dad

I am in Parris Island. I arrived safe and sound. They feed me plenty. Write me soon.

Pvt Recruit
View Quote

One kid was an orphan and raised in foster care. DI was up his ass for not writing home. DI was noticeably embarrassed by the facts in this kids case.

Next mail call kid got a letter from the ladies of DI's church.  He wrote to them the whole time we were in boot camp.

That said I had an uncle in ww2 that got letters from everyone but his wife. She put the wrong serial number on them. He was home for two weeks when his mail, several sacks worth caught up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Glad he's started getting it.  Keep track of all the things he says he is missing now. On boot leave he wont want most of it.  Also, you'll be back here telling us how much he's changed, more grown up now, more mature, confident.

Saved this thread, come back and read this. it always happens.
View Quote

He's confident and mature already but I expect you're right.  The DI's are giving him some life lessons that he didn't get (or need) for the cushy life at home.  

Thus far he hasn't noted missing much, except sleep, Internet games/entertainment and a little bit of free time.   He will  graduate on the 18th and we'll be heading out for that.  He's been allowed to call home twice, both times my wife was able to talk with him briefly.  First time was for shooting exceptionally well and second time for a couple minutes to to finalize post-graduation travel arrangements.

Thus far his only request of me has been to head to the range to do some more casual, less regulated shooting.  Trying to get a family friend to hook him up with some FA hardware for some blasting time as a surprise.  Anyway, he should be in the midst of the Crucible right now.   Probably questioning why some of the people there made the career decision they made.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
You probably said, but I dont remember, what was his contract MOS program?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I hated writing letters, after about 6 weeks into boot my mom sent a red cross message and I had to call home in front of the Senior DI.

I had to write a letter every fucking week and for the next 5 weeks.  Guess who didn't come to my fucking graduation...
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Other than screening for contraband it is against Marine Corp regulations to interfere with mail
View Quote

Pretty sure it's against Federal law to mess with the mail.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm happy to say that mail has started reaching him this week.  We just got a envelopes stuffed with 5 quick letters from him and the in-laws also confirmed they received a letter.  Seems he's missing his phone, interwebs, pizza and the cushy life at home.  

<a href="http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/txjim42/media/MCRDLetter_zpsj5rqpyld.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o619/txjim42/MCRDLetter_zpsj5rqpyld.jpg</a>

View Quote

Send this to TL
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that didnt stop my plt from not getting boxes for about 2 weeks and somehow all arriving at once, being forced to eat all the cookies and such in 2 min and then slam a canteen of water.  I have never seen that many people throw up at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Send this to TL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/txjim42/media/MCRDLetter_zpsj5rqpyld.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o619/txjim42/MCRDLetter_zpsj5rqpyld.jpg</a>

Send this to TL

Second.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Sent a pic of letter and the kid's paper-internet to Max/TL but he hasn't seen it yet or didn't tickle his funny-bone.  Or maybe it wasn't easy because I don't post crap on FB.

My son's "paper internet" was ~200 pages of funnies/pics from Facebook/TL/ifunny and a few other humorous sources.  He shared it with a few but otherwise kept it pretty much locked down.  Though I was surprised to get a personal thanks for the internet "life-line" from one of his friends at graduation.  

He came home over the holidays, regrouped with his girlfriend and Xbox live crew.  He missed his free time, girl-friend, dog, junk-food, xbox and his friends and family at home.   We managed to get to shoot a couple of times, once outdoors, once indoors.  His Colt M45A1 sure does shoot like a dream compared to my tupperware.  Yeah, gonna have to remedy that.  Sure was good seeing him. Hated taking him back to the airport.  We've gotta lot more shooting to do.

Up until today he's been stalled at Camp Pendleton but we just heard a few hours ago that he was selected for the next ITB cycle.  He's pumped as he has a hard time with the hurry up and wait game.  

He went in wanting to go to scout-sniper school (top shot in his platoon btw.../proud dad) and work his way through the SNCO ranks but when he got home from boot-camp he made an addendum after having dealt with a bunch of "nasty-ass slacker boots."  He wants to finish a college degree, become an officer and make sure there's no room for that type in the Corp.  Although the kid might make a natural kill-hat.  Additionally I'm thinking the size of (or lack thereof) his paycheck finally sunk in and that might have something to do with it as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top