Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2015 12:07:00 AM EDT
Let me just start off by saying the whole situation was kind of weird.  And maybe I don't understand how the whole admin side/rules work.  I'm going to try and shorten it so here it goes.  I was in the Marine Corps and in 2010 I got shot in the chest in Afghanistan, pretty understandable for me to receive the Purple Heart with this also considering it missed the sapies going right through the front out the back.  I saw the guy firing at me before this happened and tried lighting him up with my 240 but unknown to me at the time was that he shot the gas regulator on it keeping it from cycling.  So sure enough the guy won the firefight due to me not getting down and just kept trying to get my 240 to work whatever. haha

I received the Purple Heart but here is where it gets weird.  Because I wasn't able to pop off a shot, somewhere in the rules stated that I didn't rate the CAR or Combat Action Ribbon. I had heard of guys who got hit by IEDs still got their CAR's even though they didn't fire a shot (which is weird).  No one knew that I didn't "rate" it and it wasn't a big deal to me at the time until they saw me in my Dress Alphas at the ball in Vegas, everyone who I told who had asked said it was a stupid rule and I should wear it anyways.  Of course this goes against the rules technically.

Well I decided to check up on things on my MOL, still the same as ever.  And get out my uniforms once again to update them and make them ready for hanging up and make them look nice in my closet.

Here's my question,  a bunch of my buddies including senior personnel told me I should anyways (except the one admin guy who told me I can't because it goes against the rules), do you all think it is still good enough to be put onto all my uniforms now? I mean I know technically no one would see them and I'm about sure no one is going to want to chew me out for it even if I did wear it now. haha  But I still have that uniform pride.

Thanks all for the time!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
When my unit came back from Iraq, about half wore CARs before paperwork went through. Paper work never went through for some, but at the first ball back the only people who had the paperwork in and technically rated it. Oddly enough they were mostly admin and staff NCOs, I guess some mortars hit near their office or something.  

Personally there isn't a CAR on my uniform (hanging in my closet) but if it matters to you you can petition the commanding officer of your unit. Also the CAR requires being in a firefight and satisfactorily performing your duties. Attempting to return fire on an incapacitated weapon should fulfill that.

So wear it anyway if you want. If it really matters petition your units co and make it legit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well to make matters worse we did.  My First Sergeant and my CO found out about this and actually tried working with them, but they said my scenario didn't count.  Which is weird because I knew guys who got CAR's who got hit by an IED and still received their CAR's.  This was the issue which no one understood.

"the only people who had the paperwork in and technically rated it. Oddly enough they were mostly admin and staff NCOs"

^Funny how that works isn't it!! HAHA
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah our entire admin shop ended up with them. And not one of them ever returned fire or did anything  other than sit in a cement office surrounded by hescos. My perspective on it is I know where I've been and what I've done medals and ribbons aren't necessary.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You tried to fire your weapon, which was damaged, and became damaged yourself.

If anyone asks me, you deserve the CAR.

Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well to make matters worse we did.  My First Sergeant and my CO found out about this and actually tried working with them, but they said my scenario didn't count.  Which is weird because I knew guys who got CAR's who got hit by an IED and still received their CAR's.  This was the issue which no one understood.

"the only people who had the paperwork in and technically rated it. Oddly enough they were mostly admin and staff NCOs"

^Funny how that works isn't it!! HAHA
View Quote

Contact your congressman.  You meet the requirement, some admin fuck is misguided.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure what the Marine regs are, but in my mind, you earned and then some.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, you get it in my mind. Fuck some little stupid ass admin bitch. I will send you one myself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My PSG in 2010 got a PH and no CAB from an IED.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

...me not getting down and just kept trying to get my 240 to work...

View Quote
Sounds like combat action to me. And a bit of bravery.

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as you took appropriate action you rate a CAR; there is no requirement to fire you weapon.

A.  ACTIVE DUTY, RETIRED, AND VETERAN MARINES, OR THE NEXT OF KIN FOR DECEASED MARINES, WHO BELIEVE THEY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAR UNDER THE REVISED CRITERIA, CAN CONTACT THE FIRST OFFICER IN THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND AT THE TIME OF THE ACTION VIA LETTER OR EMAIL AND REQUEST THAT THE OFFICER RECOMMEND THEM FOR THE CAR BASED ON THEIR ACTIONS ON A SPECIFIC DATE. INFORMATION ON CONTACTING MARINES VIA THE CMC(MMSB) WORLD WIDE LOCATOR CAN BE FOUND IN PARA G. IN THOSE CASES WHERE AN OFFICER IS ALREADY KNOWLEDGEABLE OF THE PREVIOUS COMBAT ACTIONS OF ONE OF THEIR MARINES THAT MET THE REVISED CRITERIA, THE OFFICER CAN ORIGINATE THE RECOMMENDATION WITHOUT RECEIVING A REQUEST FROM THE MARINE.  IN ALL CASES, THE OFFICER ORIGINATING THE RECOMMENDATION MUST SUBMIT AN ADMINISTRATIVELY COMPLETE NAVMC 11533 PERSONAL AWARDS RECOMMENDATION FORM TO THIS HEADQUARTERS VIA THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AT THE TIME OF THE ACTION, UP TO AND INCLUDING THE BATTALION/SQUADRON COMMANDER. A PDF VERSION OF THE NAVMC 11533 WITH INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE
DOWNLOADED FROM HTTPS: (SLASH)(SLASH)NAVALFORMS.DOCUMENTSERVICES.DLA.MIL/FORMSDIR/ (UNDERSCORE)NAVMC(UNDERSCORE)11533(UNDERSCORE)EF(UNDERSCORE) 10040.PDF
 B.  PRIOR TO SUBMITTING A RECOMMENDATION FOR A CAR BASED ON ACTIONS DURING A PRIOR DEPLOYMENT THAT MEET THE REVISED CRITERIA, THE ORIGINATING OFFICER MUST CHECK THE CAR DATABASE LOCATED AT THE MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS WEBSITE AT WWW.MANPOWER.USMC.MIL, TO ENSURE THAT A CAR HAS NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY AWARDED FOR THE SAME OPERATION FOR WHICH THE NEW CAR RECOMMENDATION IS BEING ORIGINATED.
 C.  THE SUMMARY OF ACTION IN THE NAVMC 11533 MUST CONTAIN A THOROUGH DESCRIPTION OF THE EVENT IN WHICH THE INDIVIDUAL TOOK DIRECT ACTION TO DISABLE, RENDER SAFE, OR DESTROY AN ACTIVE ENEMY-EMPLACED IED, MINE, OR SCATTERABLE MUNITION WHILE IN THE IMMEDIATE PROXIMITY OF THE WEAPON SUCH THAT THE INDIVIDUAL WAS AT INCREASED RISK FROM THE ANTICIPATED EFFECTS OF THE WEAPON IF DETONATED.  THE EVENT DESCRIPTION MUST CONTAIN SUFFICIENT DETAIL TO ALLOW THE HQMC AWARDS BOARD TO CONFIRM THAT THE EVENT CITED MEETS THE REVISED CRITERIA IN REF A.
 D.  ALTHOUGH NOT REQUIRED, MARINES MAY SUBMIT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION TO THE OFFICER SUBMITTING THE CAR RECOMMENDATION FOR SUBMISSION WITH THE NAVMC 11533.  SUCH DOCUMENTATION MAY INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, EOD INCIDENT RESPONSE SHEETS, PERSONAL AWARD SUMMARIES OF ACTION OR CITATIONS, FITNESS REPORTS, OR EYEWITNESS STATEMENTS THAT DOCUMENT ACTIONS TAKEN BY THE MARINE IN RESPONSE TO LIVE IEDS.  THE USE OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE REQUIREMENT FOR THE NAVMC 11533 TO BE ENDORSED BY THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.  NOTE: DO NOT SUBMIT CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTATION.
 E.  THE OFFICER ORIGINATING THE RECOMMENDATION MUST ROUTE THE NAVMC 11533 FOR ENDORSEMENT VIA THE CHAIN OF COMMAND THAT WAS IN PLACE ON THE DATE OF THE ACTION, UP TO AND INCLUDING THE BATTALION/SQUADRON COMMANDERS. AFTER THE BATTALION/SQUADRON COMMANDER HAS ENDORSED THE NAVMC 11533, IT SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO THIS HEADQUARTERS VIA THE US POSTAL SERVICE TO:
                  HEADQUARTERS, U.S. MARINE CORPS
                  MILITARY AWARDS BRANCH (MMMA-3)
                  2008 ELLIOT ROAD
                  QUANTICO, VA 22134-5030 OR IT MAY BE SCANNED AND SENT VIA EMAIL TO: SMB(UNDERSCORE)HQMC(UNDERSCORE)PERS(UNDERSCORE)AWARDS(at)USMC.MIL.
 F.  ONCE THE HQMC AWARDS BOARD HAS MADE A DECISION ON THE RETROACTIVE CAR RECOMMENDATION, CMC (MMMA-3) WILL NOTIFY THE OFFICER ORIGINATING THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE DECISION VIA LETTER FORWARDED DOWN THE ENDORSING CHAIN OF COMMAND.  IN THE CASE OF APPROVALS, THE APPROVAL LETTER AND RIBBON WILL BE MAILED TO EITHER THE MARINE OR THE AWARD ORIGINATING OFFICER, AS INDICATED ON THE NAVMC 11533.  AN ENTRY WILL BE MADE IN THE CAR DATABASE, MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM (MCTFS)(WHEN APPLICABLE), AND A COPY OF THE APPROVAL LETTER WILL BE FORWARDED TO CMC(MMSB) FOR INCLUSION IN THE MARINE'S OFFICIAL MILITARY PERSONNEL FILE (OMPF).
 G. MARINES SEEKING TO LOCATE ACTIVE DUTY, RESERVE, OR RETIRED MARINES FOR THE PURPOSE OF OBTAINING COMMAND ENDORSEMENTS MAY CONTACT THE CMC (MMSB) WORLD WIDE LOCATOR FOR ASSISTANCE EITHER BY EMAIL TO SMB.MANPOWER.MMSB(at)USMC.MIL; BY CALLING 1(800)268-3710; OR BY LETTER TO:
                  HEADQUARTERS, U.S. MARINE CORPS
                  MANPOWER MANAGEMENT SUPPORT BRANCH (MMSB-17)
                  2008 ELLIOT RD (SUITE 201)
                  QUANTICO, VA 22134-5030
6.  THE POINT OF CONTACT AT THIS HEADQUARTERS, CMC(MMMA-3), IS MR.M.T. NEWMAN (MARK.T.NEWMAN(at)USMC.MIL) AT (703) 784-9340 (DSN 278).
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Medals and/or Awards are the political side of the military.  I've seen some awards given for actions I was there to witness, and some of the shit written in there was complete fiction.  Soooo, I take most of those things with a grain of salt, and don't put a whole lot of stock in them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck yea you earned it, if your earned a Purple Heart you earned a CAR IMO

That would be like me not Wearing my CIB with my Purple Heart.

Free

Quoted:

You tried to fire your weapon, which was damaged, and became damaged yourself.

If anyone asks me, you deserve the CAR.

Thanks for your service.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats bullshit IMO

I had two females I put in for CABs when their truck hit an IED, and both of them were awarded it.

Free

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny. I got blown the hell up by an IED and still have trouble from it. I got my CAB but no purple heart. It is really funny how shit gets done who gets what.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The regulations have changed for being awarded the CAR, which I believe are posted above. If not, you can search the Marine Corps site. You would need to contact your platoon commander who was in charge of you at the time of the firefight, have him write you up for the award and submit it. Not sure how long it takes to get approved, and if you are now out, you could get a DD-215 to show that it's been awarded to you.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to lie half was bravery because I knew I was the guy on watch and my buddies weren't too far away and wanted to keep them safe.  But the other half was saying "Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap!" haha

Thanks for the input guys I might just stick it on there anyways.  I mean a lot of my higher ups didn't really question it either while being in while I was wearing it.  Plus I'm out now no one is going to care about the regs as long as I'm not some "stolen valor" piece of trash. (Which I'm not lol)
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not going to lie half was bravery because I knew I was the guy on watch and my buddies weren't too far away and wanted to keep them safe.  But the other half was saying "Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap!" haha

Thanks for the input guys I might just stick it on there anyways.  I mean a lot of my higher ups didn't really question it either while being in while I was wearing it.  Plus I'm out now no one is going to care about the regs as long as I'm not some "stolen valor" piece of trash. (Which I'm not lol)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get it on record...it will just take some footwork.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
14. Combat Action Ribbon (CAR)

a. Authorization. SECNAVNOTE 1650 of 17 February 1969.

b. Eligibility Requirements

(1) Awarded to members of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard (when the Coast Guard or units thereof operate under the control of the Navy) in the grade of captain/colonel and junior thereto, who have actively participated in ground or surface combat. Upon submission of evidence to their commanding officer, personnel who earned the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge while a member of the U.S. Army may be authorized to wear the CAR.

(2) The principal eligibility criterion is that the individual must have participated in a bona fide ground or surface combat fire-fight or action during which he/she was under enemy fire and his/her performance while under fire was satisfactory. Service in a combat area does not automatically entitle a service member to the CAR. The following amplifying remarks are furnished as guidance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x1000. You know you earned it and likes others have said the medals are just a piece of paper and a ceremony.  You were wounded in the defense of your country and not many other people can say that...that is something to be proud of. Thanks for your service.

-Justin
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
What you deserve and what you are entitled to wear are not the same. Do you deserve the CAR, yes. Are you entitled to wear it? NO.

Unless you have been awarded it, you cannot, and should not, wear it.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  do the leg work to get what you deserve, same as pay and leave.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
You earned it fight for it to get it right

might only be a little ribbon now to you but it could be one more thing for your kid to be proud of you for later

I know how awesome it was when I wound my grandpas Bronze Stars and other awards
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, I see you are in FL (possibly W. Palm?).  IM me your contact info if you're comfortable with it; I might be able to help. I've been down a similar road with another vet and have some helpful contacts that will be sympathetic to your situation.

Thank you for your service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top