Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2014 12:52:13 PM EDT
All,

As all know, sadly suicide is a "hot topic" at the moment and strikes chords with me. Society needs to do more.

What I want to do, is build an "App" for vets, that allows any veteran to use the app - you can sign up as someone who needs help, or you can sign up as someone who can give help. Be it, someone to talk to, someone to meet up with, etc. I can't think of a better support network for veterans going through a rough patch than other veterans. My goal is to use a service like ID.me, which allows you to validate you are in fact current or former mil. It will keep trolls out.

The goal will be to make it so you can interact anonymous. All communication is encrypted - messages are stored so they can't be decrypted by anyone but the person who sent/received the messages. Now, you can go "not anonymous" if you want if you want to say, meet up to play pool or whatever. Adding the anonymity, the encryption, I feel it provides a layer of protection to the person who wants help that it won't end up on their service record for example.

While I know this isn't a perfect solution, there needs to be something that helps vets and I just don't see much.

I'd appreciate any input others may have. I haven't served myself, but worked with many current and retired.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like a great idea.  Although you should make it geared to vets and presently serving.  I've been out for almost three years and still battle thoughts of suicide on an almost weekly basis.  It's that lack of purpose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top