Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 11:45:12 PM EDT
So Sunday I'm shopping in WalMart with the MRS. and witnessed an Iraq/Afghan war vet being denied purchasing .22 ammo.  I questioned him why, and he said he didn't have a drivers license.  That is BS, I told him.  So I tried to buy some.  So okay, I'm a disabled Vietnam Vet., retired after 25 years, and I too have no drivers license.  Just my Retired ID and my VA ID showing I'm Service Connected Disabled.  Well guess what.  This old man wasn't allowed to buy either.  I said hey.... I've got two picture ID's provided by our wonderful gummint, but that's not good enough.   After some arguement with management, I was told it was too bad I was too disabled to drive...  no license, no ammo.  Has anyone else run into this situation?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Must be a California thing.  We just pay cash here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Why in the hell are you living a state where you have to show ID to buy ammo???

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Truth is, Wal Mart is the only seller doing this.  None of the other corporate stores (i.e Sportsmans Warehouse, Dick, Big 5, or any locally owned stores ) is requiring this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
.22"LR is generally considered pistol ammo.  Retailers can't sell pistol ammo to anyone under 21.  That may be a WalMart California policy you're running into.  I know when I take .22"LR to the self-checkout @ WalMart, I have to get an under 21 override for each box.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Truth is, Wal Mart is the only seller doing this.  None of the other corporate stores (i.e Sportsmans Warehouse, Dick, Big 5, or any locally owned stores ) is requiring this.
View Quote

I think Bowling for Columbine got them to change their policy to the strict stupidness it is now.

Michael Moore went after Walmart specifically as selling ammo to active shooters
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep same in NC cash and carry, they never ask for ID

Then again i'm a old grey headed guy

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Must be a California thing.  We just pay cash here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Been working for walmart in PA for almost two years now. I bought over 2k rounds 22 lr in the last two months. They only ask if it is for pistol or rifle here. I always say rifle. I so need a better paying job.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of states require state issued ID (drivers license or ID).  A passport is also a suitable substitute. Most people do not realize the va card is something the VA issues as a convenience for them (like a costco card).

For example, I have been retired since 2009. I have a service connected disability but was never issued a VA ID Card. I do get care from the va without it because it is not a necessary item for care or identification. My military DD form 2 is used for all transactions because it falls into the "govt issued ID category" like the current issued CAC card, passport,etc.

Does this make sense?

Walmart has policy like everyone else. I equate it to getting on a plane, being stopped by a cop or trying to cash a check at a bank...

V
OUT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top