Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 9:43:20 PM EDT
What have you worn on duty you thought had the best protection and most comfortable if cost isn't a factor. Now if cost is a factor?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
No opinions?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I've actually used I give my vote to the Gold series Safariland Zero-G. The platinum series should be better. There are newer types that should be even more comfortable but I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm fixing to buy a vest and I'm looking at the Zero-G's, I have had a Silver on and its the most best fitting vest I have seen, they taylor the vest to fit you and only you. I'm going to go with the Platium Level IIIA, its the most cutting edge, best ballistic protection vest they have, and they run around $1500
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
BKinzey,
My department issues the Safariland Zero-G (gold level IIA). Mine sits on the shelf. I'd really like to like this vest, but I can't say that I do. It is a good looking vest and the carrier is the best I've seen. My main problems with the vest are the stiff ballistic panels and the extended coverage area of the panels design, which make it very uncomfortable during hot weather. The vest does protect a larger area of the torso than some other vest, which I guess is a selling point for some.
I've been using a Second Chance Monarch (IIA) that I purchased three or four years ago. I love the flexibility of the Monarch panels, and I'll probably get another Second Chance when I shop for a new vest in a year or so.
Take care, Mike  
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll second the Second Chance series.

They even have a new and improved version now, I forget the name.

I wear one bought from a smaller company in Arlington, TX.  They provide vests to a number of metroplex departments and their vest are down right good.  My department bought me a Extreme Series from ABA, it is still sitting in my closet, I wore it one shift.  Don't even waste your time.  I put my individual purchased vest back on and have worn it ever sense.  Not sure what I'm going to do, next year when my warranty runs out.  Sure as heck ain't going to wear the Extreme junk.

Good luck, be safe.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
leoAr,
One of the minor complaints I have with the ZeroG is the small coverage provided by the inserts. It sounds like whoever fits them is inconsistent at best. I am 5-9 175 with a 46 inch chest and 32 inch waist and they gave me a 34. I'd like to have a 36 or 38. The factory rep fitted us. My other vest is a Point Blank and I like it generally except for the edges roll up on me all the time, damned irritating. Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry if it's a double post

Only one choice - Second Chance Ultima

Second choice - Second Chance Monarch

Monarch: older, less comfortable, heavier, less expensive

Ultima: newer, more comfortable, lighter, more flexible, pricier

I don't consider cost an option for body armor.  Oh, for 20 bucks upgrade the trauma plate to the titanium one.  Very light.  If you want the best, get the Ultima
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#8]
One of our officers got a safariland zero G and he had the same problem the small coverage area. He took it back and they replaced it with a larger size in the length where it was too short before. I wear the zero G Gold and find they are stiff as others have mentioned, however it is so much lighter than my old point blank I previously wore.
Just remember the vest will do you no good if you do not wear it.
[thinking]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#9]
"Second Chance Ultima"

Anyone know where a plain 'ol citi'zun like me could get one of these at a fair price?

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I am issued an ABA Xtreme, level II.  It is probably not an expensive vest, I don't know.  It has coolmax lining on the carrier.  Very nice.  It is comfortable. If you aren't wearing some kind of mesh undershirt that keeps you dry, try one and you will never go back.  This vest seems thin, but we went from level IIA to level II so that is probably why.  clint.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]
mine is an ABA leve 3a and I like it but it is the only vest I have worn for long periods of time besides my flak jacket.
john
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I will look at the Ultima when it comes time to retire this one.

But just in case anyone else wants an idea of the price tag:

ULTIMATM 9th Generation "Full Wrap" II
24"- 44"
$1,550.00 retail
$852.50    45% off
$775.00   agency cost

This is from the Cop Shop in Philly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top