User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once did a background on a fellow who washed out of three different police agencies.  I noticed one thing about him, every time he fell down, he picked himself up and got better.  This was his pattern.  I realized he had a lot of potential and was firmly convinced that he would be an asset to any agency that hired him.  After finishing writing up his background investigation and my recommendations, I prepared the hiring papers for him.  I then told the chief to sign the hiring papers before I would let him read my report.  We argued and I told him that we could not afford to let the candidate get away.  Anyway, he shined like I predicted and after a few years, went onto greater things.  He died on the operating table for a so called simple procedure.  RIP FF.

Moral? Be that guy. Get better everytime you fall down.
View Quote
I hope I get background investigators like you in my current search.

Also, OP, if this is what you really want... do whatever it takes. I was in your position once, except I didn't fail a test... four months into a 10 month program, on break for Thanksgiving and this happens:

To echo the earlier statement of "fuck them, they don't get to win"... mine was "fuck them, you don't get to decide.

I'll never be able to lift weights, do push-ups, or get back in the academy again? Fuck you, you don't get to decide.

Never be able to perform the job requirements of being a cop? Fuck you, you don't get to decide.

I'll be lucky to get 80% use, at best, back in terms of strength and dexterity? Fuck you, you don't get to decide.

Doctor told me all that, I simply replied "that's your opinion."

I quit taking all painkillers six days after I got shot so I wouldn't have to worry about becoming dependent on them and not being able to quit. It took me about six or seven weeks to be able to tie my shoes, my hand was so swollen and weak I couldn't make a fist or tie a simple knot. Went through nearly a year (10 months) of therapy, three times a week plus what I did at home, with no drugs, just pure hate... because fuck you, you don't get to decide my future.

It took me 16 months to do ONE push-up, and it was a shitty ass push-up. Within two years, I was benching 165 for reps. The impact of that bullet detached my tricep from the distal end of my humerus, but by the two year mark I was doing push-downs with 75 pounds with just that arm. So much for 80% use, and all those nevers.

Cut a full minute off my obstacle course time in those two years, re-entered the academy, learned to cope with what I had to use, and graduated.

If this is what you want, you'll never let yourself live it down that you didn't try again. You'll either find a way, or make one... because fuck them, they don't get to decide.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We only know one person's side. There is probably more to this story that we don't know.
View Quote
I appreciate the vote of confidence. I assure you I'm telling the whole story. I have no reason to lie, nothing to gain by not being truthful. In fact, the reason I failed out is irrelevant at this point. I failed a test and I got the boot. Granted, I don't agree with how the test was administered, but that decision wasn't mine to make and I knew the parameters going in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I assure you I'm telling the whole story. I have no reason to lie, nothing to gain by not being truthful. In fact, the reason I failed out is irrelevant at this point. I failed a test and I got the boot. Granted, I don't agree with how the test was administered, but that decision wasn't mine to make and I knew the parameters going in.
View Quote
I've been a cop for a lot of years. Humans tell stories from their perspective....which is normal.

You may not know the whole reason you were dropped....I have no idea. But, there is likely a lot more to why you were dropped.  Maybe the instructors didn't see something in you they wanted to see. Maybe the agency that sponsored you really didn't want you. I don't know. But I do know that it's very unlikely that this is the only reason you were dropped.

I've taught at one of my state's academies. I understand how people get dropped. I don't know your whole story but doubt we have gotten the whole story...whether you don't know it or if you are leaving something out I have no idea.

Regardless, you've been given lots of good advise. Or, maybe the job isn't for you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've been a cop for a lot of years. Humans tell stories from their perspective....which is normal.

You may not know the whole reason you were dropped....I have no idea. But, there is likely a lot more to why you were dropped.  Maybe the instructors didn't see something in you they wanted to see. Maybe the agency that sponsored you really didn't want you. I don't know. But I do know that it's very unlikely that this is the only reason you were dropped.

I've taught at one of my state's academies. I understand how people get dropped. I don't know your whole story but doubt we have gotten the whole story...whether you don't know it or if you are leaving something out I have no idea.

Regardless, you've been given lots of good advise. Or, maybe the job isn't for you.
View Quote
Wow... You've REALLY become disconnected, bro...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm a realist. Been doing this job too long to blindly believe some anonymous person on the internet.

Plus I'm a somewhat familiar with hiring and training cops. No agency wants to fail trainable cops. It's too hard to find qualified people to hire to casually fail them out. Failing someone is usually done for more than one reason. I have also been an FTO for many years. In my agency, I am the FTO who gets all the problem trainees. I'm their last stop before failure. I've only failed a small number who were beyond hope. The rest I have been able to work with and get them were they need to be. When I say they need to go, they have already been through several FTOs and I gave them everything I could to get them to succeed.

I notice you didn't answer my earlier question so I'll ask it again.....are you saying the academy should ignore their standards?

None of us know the OP. I feel bad for him that he hasn't been able to meet his goals on this one issue so far. That said, I don't advocate reducing standards just to pass someone. I have felt bad about every person I failed in FTO. I take it personally and always feel a tiny bit like a failure myself when I just can't get a person through it successfully. But, there are those who aren't cut out for this job and I would be failing my department, my fellow officers, and my community if I allowed certain people to pass.

Lots of posters have given good advise about not giving up. I'd say the same thing. But, failing the academy should definitely cause someone to evaluate if this is the right career for them. It might be....just maybe not the right career RIGHT NOW.

You haven't given the OP any advise. All you've done is commiserate with him and complain. Why not contribute something that might help him? By the way, if he's not cut out for this job no one is doing him any favors by telling him he should still be a cop. The OP needs to hear advise no matter how blunt that advise may be.  If it hurts his feelings (or yours) then so be it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Colt is dead balls on.

I've been accused of being too blunt a lot lately. Whether that's due to the participation trophy generation beginning to reap what they've sown, or I am getting too lazy to belabor a point remains to be seen.

But it's why I haven't posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But passing the girl who went 1 for 9 on the course but failing the dude who went 8 for 9 is the right thing to do?

The guy who showed he could do it 8 times and only failed 1 time is more deserving of a fail than the one who failed 8 times and passed 1 time?

You pass the blind squirrel but fail the dude who fucked up one time....

Tell me how any of that makes sense to you...

If he failed any of the practice runs, I would agree with you... But he didn't.  

He went 8 for 9. The one failure being the one that counted...

She went 1 for 9... The one success being the one that counted...  
View Quote
I get what you're saying and I felt horrible seeing people not pass or hearing stories about it but those are the standards, no?

To me it would be like someone doing great on practice "practicals" but failing the comprehensive practical.  Just because they did well when it didn't count doesn't mean they should get a pass when it does count.

Now, being removed from training and not getting any form of a retake or remediation is pretty shitty IMO

ETA for OP: If you want to be a cop, be a cop.  Only person who can stop that is you.  I know a Chief that took 3 attempts to make it through academy
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you're all either misunderstanding what I'm saying or you're adding your own assumptions into this whole thing...

Since all we have to go on is what the OP posted, that's what I'm going on... I'm not adding my own personal feelings or assuming something that wasn't stated.

If the practice runs were the exact same as the testing run (which is what he said) and he passed all the practice runs (which is what he said) and failed the single test run (again, what he said) I don't see how you can say he performed worse than the girl that failed all the practice runs and passed the single test run...

You all keep spouting off about "standards."    I'm not suggesting the lowering of standards... I'm telling you to look at what was written in front of you and tell me how 1 out of 9 is better than 8 out of 9.

"Well, she passed the actual test part and blah blah blah."   That doesn't change the fact that she FAILED 8 other times. She was given a task... She failed the task EIGHT TIMES...

He was given the same task.. He successfully completed the task eight times..

I'm NOT saying he should have been given a pass... I'm NOT saying the female should have been failed...

What I'm saying is, if this is the only reason he was failed, it's garbage and he should have been allowed to work on it and try again.

Yes, I understand there is probably a more to the story. I'm not arguing that. But, I'm not going to sit here and tell the OP he isn't meant to be a cop and tell him he's a piece of shit and failed because he's a piece of shit.

You don't know why he failed. Quit acting like you do and quit telling the dude he's garbage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm a realist. Been doing this job too long to blindly believe some anonymous person on the internet.

Plus I'm a somewhat familiar with hiring and training cops. No agency wants to fail trainable cops. It's too hard to find qualified people to hire to casually fail them out. Failing someone is usually done for more than one reason. I have also been an FTO for many years. In my agency, I am the FTO who gets all the problem trainees. I'm their last stop before failure. I've only failed a small number who were beyond hope. The rest I have been able to work with and get them were they need to be. When I say they need to go, they have already been through several FTOs and I gave them everything I could to get them to succeed.

I notice you didn't answer my earlier question so I'll ask it again.....are you saying the academy should ignore their standards?

None of us know the OP. I feel bad for him that he hasn't been able to meet his goals on this one issue so far. That said, I don't advocate reducing standards just to pass someone. I have felt bad about every person I failed in FTO. I take it personally and always feel a tiny bit like a failure myself when I just can't get a person through it successfully. But, there are those who aren't cut out for this job and I would be failing my department, my fellow officers, and my community if I allowed certain people to pass.

Lots of posters have given good advise about not giving up. I'd say the same thing. But, failing the academy should definitely cause someone to evaluate if this is the right career for them. It might be....just maybe not the right career RIGHT NOW.

You haven't given the OP any advise. All you've done is commiserate with him and complain. Why not contribute something that might help him? By the way, if he's not cut out for this job no one is doing him any favors by telling him he should still be a cop. The OP needs to hear advise no matter how blunt that advise may be.  If it hurts his feelings (or yours) then so be it.
View Quote
I'm not going to address this entire thing...

No, standards should not be lowered or ignored, but there should also be some common sense shown. If someone demonstrates MULTIPLE times that they are capable to doing a task they shouldn't be washed out becuase they failed said task one time.

Again, I'm not going to ASSUME that he fucked up somewhere else and that's why he failed... I'm going off what he said in the post. If that's all we have to go off of, I'm going to base my response on that. I'm not going to introduce my own feelings into the situation and tell the dude he should give up.

Lowered standards and ignoring rules has screwed me in the past. The last thing we should do is lower or ignore standards... But, we should also employ a metric fuck ton more common sense...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Annnnnd.......SoCalSurvivor see's first hand that cops bitch and bicker like children.

Ya wanna know the worst part SoCal?

Both sides are correct.

I disagree with Colt's statement that no one is helping you, only commiserating with you. But otherwise he's largely correct.

There are 3 sides to every story, his side, her side, and the truth. And nobody is necessarily lying, they're just telling you what they see.

I'm not Colt, and I dont have his experiences to fall back on. I have seen vindictive and petty Police Academy instructors who went out of their way to fail recruits because they didnt like that recruit. That instructor was later kicked loose from the academy and out back on the street. That instructor chose to to quit LE instead of work the street as word had gotten out and other officers didnt like that person or trust that person.

Bottom line is this:

It's not an easy job, and you'll never get rich doing this job. But it's a good job and you have to want to do it.
Nobody else can make you do it, it's your choice.

So if you want it, dig down and make it happen.

If you don't, that's ok too. Just understand it is your choice one way or the other.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I disagree with Colt's statement that no one is helping you, only commiserating with you. But otherwise he's largely correct.

View Quote
To be clear...that statement was directed at one poster. Everyone else has been posting useful recommendations for the OP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not going to address this entire thing...

No, standards should not be lowered or ignored, but there should also be some common sense shown. If someone demonstrates MULTIPLE times that they are capable to doing a task they shouldn't be washed out becuase they failed said task one time.

Again, I'm not going to ASSUME that he fucked up somewhere else and that's why he failed... I'm going off what he said in the post. If that's all we have to go off of, I'm going to base my response on that. I'm not going to introduce my own feelings into the situation and tell the dude he should give up.

Lowered standards and ignoring rules has screwed me in the past. The last thing we should do is lower or ignore standards... But, we should also employ a metric fuck ton more common sense...
View Quote
The only one who seems to be assuming anything is you.  We really don't know the whole story here. You are assuming the OPs account is 100% accurate and we know the whole story......but we know we have only heard the OPs side.  We have seen posters here who posted "poor me I can't get into LE" stories and then as the truth comes out, it turns out they earned getting dropped.

As you are teaching someone anything, as they are learning the skill, it is NORMAL for them to mess it up. That's why we do repetition. When I'm teaching anything I expect to see failure at first....and the more complex the skill the more failures you'll see as the student learns the skill. However, as some point the student has to be tested on the skill. It's the instructors job to do everything to prepare the student to succeed but the student is the one who has to pass the test.

I had a female trainee on the range in the academy who was struggling. I worked with her constantly on the range. She was doing better as we worked on her weaknesses. I offered to stay after class to work with her and all students were offered after hours training if they struggled. She declined. She was passing the practice qualifications.  She later failed the actual qualification and was kicked out of the class. I felt bad but she had to pass it herself.....that was the standard.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, I understand there is probably a more to the story. I'm not arguing that. But, I'm not going to sit here and tell the OP he isn't meant to be a cop and tell him he's a piece of shit and failed because he's a piece of shit.

You don't know why he failed. Quit acting like you do and quit telling the dude he's garbage.
View Quote
Not one poster has said or accused the OP of being a piece of shit or nor has anyone told the OP he is garbage. The only person who has said that is you.

Lots of people here have made good recommendations for the OP. Everything from recommending he evaluate if this is the right career for him to not give up if this is the right career for him. I agree with all of the recommendations so far.  Without going back through the whole thread to verify, I think the only poster who hasn't given the OP actual advise is you.

Serious question.....do you currently or have you ever worked in LE?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn't mean to start WWIII here. I can tell you with 100% honesty that the reason stated in my original post is the reason I failed. My staff even said they wished there was something they could do about it, but it was up to the evaluator and he said I failed the test. I didn't fail any other tests or have a single disciplinary action against me. I realize it's hard for some to believe, but as I've stated before that's all irrelevant at this point.

I am currently exploring my options with some local academies and have a ride-along scheduled in a few weeks for a local PD.

Thank you all for weighing in, even those of you who I don't necessarily agree with. I truly value you the advice and opinions that have been given and will certainly use it all for motivation one way or another.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

...but there should also be some common sense shown. If someone demonstrates MULTIPLE times that they are capable to doing a task they shouldn't be washed out becuase (sic) they failed said task one time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

...but there should also be some common sense shown. If someone demonstrates MULTIPLE times that they are capable to doing a task they shouldn't be washed out becuase (sic) they failed said task one time.
Quoted:
tell me how 1 out of 9 is better than 8 out of 9.
When that's the shot that counts.

Not directed at OP, but answering this philosophical question.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When that's the shot that counts.

Not directed at OP, but answering this philosophical question.
View Quote
Bingo.  In this line of work, when the pressure is on and it's the "real deal" you need to be able to perform period.  Practice is practice but when it's time for the test, real life, etc. you need to be squared.

I still feel that zero chance at remediation is stupid....never heard of that before
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not one poster has said or accused the OP of being a piece of shit or nor has anyone told the OP he is garbage. The only person who has said that is you.

Lots of people here have made good recommendations for the OP. Everything from recommending he evaluate if this is the right career for him to not give up if this is the right career for him. I agree with all of the recommendations so far.  Without going back through the whole thread to verify, I think the only poster who hasn't given the OP actual advise is you.

Serious question.....do you currently or have you ever worked in LE?
View Quote
Yes.. For almost 9 years... I spent almost 3 of those as an FTO.  

My time as an FTO really shouldn't count for anything though.. I got the idiots after the agency spent thousands of dollars putting them through an academy... Never mind if they couldn't write a report to save their lives... I wasn't allowed to say bad things about them. None of us were allowed to...

I understand what you're saying. I agree with a lot of it.

But like Irish said above this...   No chance at redemption?  That's shitty.  

As far as the assuming thing, I guess you could use that word too. I'm taking what he said at face value and not adding or subtracting from it.  

Since we will NEVER get the other two sides of the story I'm only going off his...   Would that be a good thing if this were a criminal investigation?  Fuck no.  But it's not... It's an internet message board.  

The last Agency I was at put A LOT of stock into things that they really shouldn't have and blew off things they shouldn't have...

For example... Get high scores in Push ups, Sit ups, agility course, written test, and interview but run 1.5 miles kinda slow?  No good...

Fail the agility course, get to try again, pass. Do the minimum push ups and sit ups. Get a 79% on the written. Get low scores on the interview. But run 1.5 miles really fast?   AMAZING!!!! HIRE NOW!!!!

The test results were public record...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I once did a background on a fellow who washed out of three different police agencies.  I noticed one thing about him, every time he fell down, he picked himself up and got better.  This was his pattern.  I realized he had a lot of potential and was firmly convinced that he would be an asset to any agency that hired him.  After finishing writing up his background investigation and my recommendations, I prepared the hiring papers for him.  I then told the chief to sign the hiring papers before I would let him read my report.  We argued and I told him that we could not afford to let the candidate get away.  Anyway, he shined like I predicted and after a few years, went onto greater things.  He died on the operating table for a so called simple procedure.  RIP FF.

Moral? Be that guy. Get better everytime you fall down.
View Quote
I've got a friend that busted his butt to be a cop for 10+ years.

He got an embezzling conviction for "stealing" a candy bar while working for a grocery store in high school .  Grocery store was an asshole for that one.

He did a bunch of volunteering, college, etc, and applied like hell to a bunch of depts while working other gigs.  Very solid guy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks, everyone. I'm actually moving to the Sacramento area in a few weeks and I think I'll explore my options with the sheriff's office up there. Have to see when and where the academy would be and if it's possible to go through and earn a paycheck.

I really do appreciate all the words of encouragement. I've been pretty down since failing out a few weeks ago, and I only have a few LE friends who don't exactly live close so I haven't been able to talk to them a whole lot.
View Quote
Which agency sponsored you? Do you mind saying on here? Maybe the initials or something  

Sacramento sheriff is supposed to be solid but you'll be in the jail for a couple years IIRC.

I am good childhood friends going way back with some norcal cops, so just curious.

All of them have lateralled around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which agency sponsored you? Do you mind saying on here? Maybe the initials or something  

Sacramento sheriff is supposed to be solid but you'll be in the jail for a couple years IIRC.

I am good childhood friends going way back with some norcal cops, so just curious.

All of them have lateralled around.
View Quote
Not going to say the agency for personal reasons. I'm in the process of applying for a local PD where I live now. Hopefully I'll be starting a new academy as a sponsored recruit in January.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:09:10 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, just keep trying. CA academies can be very strict in their scoring, especially on pass/fail practical evals. I know many, many stellar cops who fucked up and double tapped a practical who either got recycled/or re-applied and made it through a second time.

For those from other states commenting on academy standards and going back and forth about it... many of the traditional academies in southern CA are insanely stringently run and WILL ABSOLUTELY DQ a promising candidate with stellar academics and PT who double taps a practical or a class leadership eval. My academy had a 60% washout rate. Unless the failure was for dishonesty or sustained performance issues those who failed were generally welcome to try again in the next class. Nothing personal and nothing indicative of poor character or unsuitability for the job. My academy was 1000% more difficult to pass than anything I ever did in the army. Not physically of course, but 6 months of pass/fail evaluations can throw even top-flight folks who have a run of bad luck or get a case of the nerves on a practical exam.

I know a stellar former cop who had to do the academy three fucking times before he passed because he double tapped on practical issues. Only reason he is a former cop is a drunk driver hit him on duty and fucked his back up. He is still employed by the agency in a civilian capacity.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I hope I get background investigators like you in my current search.

Also, OP, if this is what you really want... do whatever it takes. I was in your position once, except I didn't fail a test... four months into a 10 month program, on break for Thanksgiving and this happens:

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1916446_373521940412_3544944_n.jpg?oh=1998eac2c10b00e3aa159dbbb57af74d&oe=5A1102BA

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27258_10150173934345413_4160768_n.jpg?oh=1240ca57bbe0af8f003d22dc78b1e7d7&oe=59F4DFD1

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1916446_374719385412_42563_n.jpg?oh=4f4b7a471800bca1645d21cd2f7c297e&oe=5A10F3D2

To echo the earlier statement of "fuck them, they don't get to win"... mine was "fuck them, you don't get to decide.

I'll never be able to lift weights, do push-ups, or get back in the academy again? Fuck you, you don't get to decide.

Never be able to perform the job requirements of being a cop? Fuck you, you don't get to decide.

I'll be lucky to get 80% use, at best, back in terms of strength and dexterity? Fuck you, you don't get to decide.

Doctor told me all that, I simply replied "that's your opinion."

I quit taking all painkillers six days after I got shot so I wouldn't have to worry about becoming dependent on them and not being able to quit. It took me about six or seven weeks to be able to tie my shoes, my hand was so swollen and weak I couldn't make a fist or tie a simple knot. Went through nearly a year (10 months) of therapy, three times a week plus what I did at home, with no drugs, just pure hate... because fuck you, you don't get to decide my future.

It took me 16 months to do ONE push-up, and it was a shitty ass push-up. Within two years, I was benching 165 for reps. The impact of that bullet detached my tricep from the distal end of my humerus, but by the two year mark I was doing push-downs with 75 pounds with just that arm. So much for 80% use, and all those nevers.

Cut a full minute off my obstacle course time in those two years, re-entered the academy, learned to cope with what I had to use, and graduated.

If this is what you want, you'll never let yourself live it down that you didn't try again. You'll either find a way, or make one... because fuck them, they don't get to decide.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#23]
." Didn't pass the skid pan test, even though all my practice runs were fine"

I saw a you tube video about the California Highway Patrol academy where a CHP instructor was asked what was one of the main
reasons people failed the academy? he answered:.......

"the Skid Pan".

Just a thought but is there any driving schools you can go to that teach the skid pan technique??

I think it would be frustrating to go thru another academy again, only to fail the skid pan a 2nd time.

I think it would bolster your background if you had proof from a civilian driving school proving you have
mastered the skid pan.

Whatever happens, I wish you the very best in your future.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Long story short, I failed out at the end of week 21 of a 30 week LEO academy. Didn't pass the skid pan test, even though all my practice runs were fine. Anyway, I'd passed all the other tests with ease and was ranked 6th overall in my class so I was obviously doing well and was enjoying what I was learning. Now I'm kind of lost. I'm 32, I have a family, and can't picture myself sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life. Anyone had a similar experience that would care to share some words of wisdom? I can't afford to sponsor myself through another academy, but I'm not sure how I'd come across in an interview for a sponsored spot as I've already failed once before.
View Quote

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off. Try again, but try harder.

I failed my first academy on the run. The second time I did much much better, but the second time was a much more challenging academy too.

*ETA* You would be surprised how many people fail it the first time....
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Try again?

My BIL went to the academy to enter the highway partol, and failed out.  He went to the highway patrol, pled his case, and because they liked him, they gave him another chance, and had an officer personally tutor him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Go be a fireman.  Everyone loves a fireman.
-Better hours
-Work a side job of your choice
-Way less political, the job itself, not the BS admin (not in the news every day)
-Still be a part of something bigger and better than yourself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I try to steer all younger guys into fire fighting than law enforcement.  They are a happier group, happier families, lower divorce rates, and more $$$ because they all become contractors and do side jobs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Long story short, I failed out at the end of week 21 of a 30 week LEO academy. Didn't pass the skid pan test, even though all my practice runs were fine. Anyway, I'd passed all the other tests with ease and was ranked 6th overall in my class so I was obviously doing well and was enjoying what I was learning. Now I'm kind of lost. I'm 32, I have a family, and can't picture myself sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life. Anyone had a similar experience that would care to share some words of wisdom? I can't afford to sponsor myself through another academy, but I'm not sure how I'd come across in an interview for a sponsored spot as I've already failed once before.
View Quote

Sucks been there! I'm 38 and just getting into my dream LEO job I was your age when I went through Federal police training my roommate was 40 might have been 5'3 and 260 lbs but the SOB had more heart than anyone I know!!!

My class started with 40 people at the end we graduate with 10 ! Have the heart don't give up if this is what you want to do that bad look at other states F+ck CA! Try Federal jobs Texas is always looking for police officers. San Antonio is awesome city would be my first pick! If you want to do the job don't give up fight until you can't anymore!

Really get out of CA and look at other states and big cities that are more LEO friendly. Border Patrol is hiring like crazy! Good luck!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top