Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 12:30:27 PM EDT
Was not sure how to pull a thread from archive, but I wanted to give an update and followup on my post from December 2016 (shown below). Lots of doom and gloom online now days, but this is something positive and I appreciate all the encouragement I received here. I wanted to come back and say thanks and show that good things happen as well!

I have my NR EMT finished and graduate from the TEEX Traditional Recruit Academy next Friday (June 23rd). I have already been hired by a department on the north side of Houston along I-45 and start work on July 10th. Thanks again for all of the encouragement and positive pm's.

Original Post: For background, in 1993 I went to College in Virginia and joined a well-trained, well organized volunteer fire department and Rescue Squad. By the end of my freshman year I had my Virginia FF1 and EMT Basic (back then we also added an AED component and BLS drug box as we were in a rural area). For the next 4 years I ran several shifts a week and loved it. To this day I miss the guys, work and camaraderie of Fire and EMS.

When I graduated in 1997, I moved to Houston for Law School. HFD was hiring for the first time in years and I wanted to apply, but received family pressure not to. The proverbial “you did not just graduate college to go play fireman.” I always regretted it and hated law school so I never practiced law.  I ended up starting my own business and have been running it successfully for 16+ years. Now the kids are a little older and my business is predominately web based so I have some free time. I have decided to go back and do what I wanted to do in the first place. I am looking forward to the challenge and environment. Also having benefits and health insurance would be a plus!

I will be 42 years old in March, but I work out 5 days a week and physically I am better shape than I was in my early 20’s. Financially I can weather the time (out of the office) to get my certifications. Currently I have enrolled at TEEX for their EMT-B class. In April I will start the Fire Recruit Academy at TEEX as well. I will be done with all in late June 2017. Provided I can find non civil service job (I am aged out of the Civil Service Depts.), the schedules departments run will be perfect for my existing business.

Sorry for the long post and if you have read this far I appreciate it. I guess I am just a little nervous about all of this and then finding a job at my age. I am hoping that maturity will be a bonus. I guess there is no real point to this post; sometimes you just need to say something out loud. I would welcome any advice though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!

Always nice to see someone pursuing their dreams and making them come true. Good on ya.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations! Its awesome to see people still chasing their dreams!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations! Its awesome to see people still chasing their dreams!
View Quote
Thank you! I actually think that is the important lesson to be learned here. If you are willing to work and take a risk, you can often correct the "what ifs" you regret not doing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!

I've never met anyone that regretted working in the Fire Service.

I've been in for 10 years and still love going to work every third day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats OP. I probably met you at one the hiring processes .  I also just started at a dept on the NW side of Houston as a volly. I hope if i still need a FT fire job in a few months they will bring me on. I already work PT as a duty crew out West with a different dept..
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys! I start Monday and am excited.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I took an EMT-Basic class as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday. I passed NREMT Paramedic at 53. I left my corporate job in March to work full time as a medic. I'm 55 now. I can work circles around some of the younger ones. You'll be fine. Congrats to you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Orientation training is complete. Sworn in and badged today! Shifts start this weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top