Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 3:13:07 AM EDT
Simple request...how do you carry your back up piece?

I have a 43 I carry on the ankle but not a fan of it. Hard to get to, afraid it's gonna fly off in a foot chase. Would prefer aiwb but with armor and a duty belt I feel it's too crowded.

Any thoughts on something that attached to the vest under the arm?

Any input period is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I used one of these for years using a P225 and later a p239 in it.  I liked it a lot over ankle carry.

http://www.bugpocket.com
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Some would disagree but my backup gun is my rifle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Uncle Mike's makes one that is suppossedly specifically for vest or belly band carry....here

I've carried a S&W mdl 60 for my BUG the entire 33 years.  I've always used Uncle Mikes IWB/Belt Clip and have only had to replace it 3 times

Becareful, shouldering any locked doors open; it can lead to busted ribs.  I actually did it twice so I guess I'm a slow learner
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was a reserve officer 20 years ago and needed to go cheap, I carried a Glock 19 in a Uncle Mikes belt slide holster attached to my vest like a shoulder holster.  There was enough of a gap in the under arm area that it fit pretty well.  It was very comfortable.  It was reasonably easy to get to; however, it was a bitch to re-holster.  But I figured if I needed the gun, I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to re-holster it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I am wearing my 26 in one of those right now and am 100% happy with it.
I don't remember it being that much though. I bought it about a year ago.
I bought that and a iwb when I put the tlr 6 on it. Both holsters are top notch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]
LCP in pocket holster. Super easy, and not even heavy enough to require a belt. I wear my LCP in sweat pants pockets all the time. I would also consider a belly band. I wouldn't mind some cowboy boots with a built-in LCP holster, but I don't think they exist.

Chest rigs may be comfortable but it's god damn complicated. Ankle holster seems like the most awkward idea ever, but it is the last place anyone want to look because they have to squat to even feel for it, which puts them in a compromising position, so if you were an undercover cop it would make sense sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Carry a G26 in a crossbreed last ditch holster on my concealable vest. Best I've come up with in 22 years. Had to pull it once in real life and got to it quick fast and in a hurry. Much quicker than I think I could have anywhere else.

In my situation ankle would have been impossible since I was standing face to face with the guy who was trying to rip my G23 out of my duty holster. Gotta think about stuff like that when thinking about ankle carry. It's a false sense of security.

Last ditch

J-
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Carry a G26 in a crossbreed last ditch holster on my concealable vest. Best I've come up with in 22 years. Had to pull it once in real life and got to it quick fast and in a hurry. Much quicker than I think I could have anywhere else.

In my situation ankle would have been impossible since I was standing face to face with the guy who was trying to rip my G23 out of my duty holster. Gotta think about stuff like that when thinking about ankle carry. It's a false sense of security.

Last ditch

J-
View Quote
That's exactly why I recommend that people carry their backup on their strong side to be drawn with their support hand.  I also suggest that people think about situations where they might need their BUG (on your back, in the vehicle, etc) and figure out how you would access it BEFORE you're actually in that situation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#10]
When I worked in uniform (jeans and t-shirt work the last 15yrs) I carried two Airweight SW .38s as backup.

One on my vest and one in a Galco ankle glove I modified by adding a Velcro strap to insure it would not pop off.

The trick to an ankle gun is a super secure holster and a light gun.

I use a AirLite .38 now in a 5-Shot Leather ankle rig with thumb break.

I still carry my BUG but I train with my knife for my off hand to defend my gun (Spyderco Endura with wave)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Last ditch

J-
View Quote
Agree.  Ankle holster ain't fast or easily accessible.  That's why my get the fuck off me gun is in a pocket support side and it ain't my only back up.
Back up location depends heavily on your uniform and equipment set up.   With the traditional uniform, inside on the vest works really well as does a shoulder holster under the uniform shirt.  I wore two for years in that set up.  Wearing a polo in uniform pretty much kills those options and leaves you with ankle carry and or pocket carry and concealed on the duty belt.  I've seen guys carry a revolver effectively concealed on the duty belt but easily accessible with the support hand.  Since I got promoted back to uniform it's an option I've wanted to try but haven't found the right "holster" yet.

Ideally a backup pistol or primary back up would also be smaller version of your duty pistol and accept the duty pistol mags and ammo and be carried in a concealed, secure yet easily accessible location.

ETA:  I'm gonna hang here awhile and see what good ideas I can steal from others.  Always lookin' for a better way.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock 27 in a belly band on the vest
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used one of these for years using a P225 and later a p239 in it.  I liked it a lot over ankle carry.

http://www.bugpocket.com
View Quote
I will second this.

For years I carried under my strong side cross draw, but I would wear holes in my shirt and wear out the elastic vest straps, plus trying to reach across my body under my arm didn't really strike me as optimal but it beat ankle carry. I know of at least once where a bad guy was grabbing at an officers ankle during a fight thinking there was a back up gun there, and another situation where an ankle holster got kicked off during a fight on the front porch of a house. I went with the BUG pocket on a whim and won't go back to anything else. I've had mine for two years and it has held up incredibly well. There is not a single frayed or loose stitch on it, plus it's extremely quick and easy to access.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I know a few that carry a 27 in the cargo pocket support side.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Glock 27 in a belly band on the vest
View Quote
@tc556guy where do you have the pistol at? 3/9?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I got nothin.

When I was 165 and in a uniform shirt, I carried like many others by modifying my vest so that I could reach in with my support hand and draw it.

I'm 240 and in the polo / gunbelt now. I can't fucking crossdraw, I couldn't draw anything out of my pockets because of how the gunbelt is set up, and I have seen some bad things happen with ankle carry as a regular thing.

I am getting set up for an external vest carrier, and I was thinking about doing something creative with that, like that side slit pocket in a purse holster.

I'm also very interested in that new crazy knife that look like little kukri knives. One brand name is the ka-bar last ditch (or TDI?). I think I could hide that on the belt pretty easy. I got a large one, but it is too big for me, so I'm fishing for a partial serrated in the medium size.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Handgun under right armpit, spare mag under left. Extra mag pouch in center got utilized for a seat belt cutter
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Handgun under right armpit, spare mag under left. Extra mag pouch in center got utilized for a seat belt cutter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand bellyband?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What brand bellyband?
View Quote
Desantis
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I carry a S&W 340PD in my support side cargo pocket (generic pocket holster)
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
BORAII holster with Glock 27 in support side pocket.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I keep looking at the crossbreed brand belly holster. But that price though.

ETA, for those that wear the belly band, do you wear it high on the outside of your vest or under your vest? Also, situated under your arm for a crossdraw I assume?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I always wore a El Paso Saddlery shoulder holster over the vest.  The horizontal draw made it easy to draw and holster going in and out of the jail and such.

Then again I'm big enough that I always carried a large backup gun that used the same mags as my primary. I didn't really start carrying small, lightweight backups until I went to work in  polos and khaki's.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I spend most of my time in slacks and a dress shirt. I use a Galco Ankle-Glove with a S&W Model 38 Airweight.  I love the set up. I went with the Airweight because I already had one. If I was starting from scratch I might have chosen a Shield. 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I spend most of my time in slacks and a dress shirt. I use a Galco Ankle-Glove with a S&W Model 38 Airweight.  I love the set up. I went with the Airweight because I already had one. If I was starting from scratch I might have chosen a Shield. 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Glock 26, crossbreed holster, strong side hip. Also the M17 with the light with a zero 9 holster, when the weather is colder.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I pocket carry on my off hand side.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Have carried a BUG this way since the 80's, always in leather holsters.  Saw this holster and picked one up. VERY happy with it. Been wearing it daily for over a year. Easy to adjust and is a smooth draw. Highly recommend this one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
So i went with the Crossbreed belly band and holster. I wanted the Gladius but my current vest has crappy Velcro that if I put it on tight and breath in deep it comes undone so the Gladys was a no go. I figured I could always use just the Crossbreed holster if I get another vest that has good Velcro straps.

But for now after one day of wear on duty I like the Crossbreed belly band. I strapped in on high and as the day went on it had a tendency to ride down. I had to adjust it higher once. Today wasn't too physical, just a typical day in the county. I'm kinda curious how it will hold up with the next foot chase. The band was comfortable and I really didn't notice it. To improve it I am going to do one of 2 things. 1) put Velcro on the backside (body side) of the band so that it will attach to the velcro on the front of my vest as well. This will keep it from rising any further down. Or I could put Velcro high on my vest as well if I wanted it higher. 2) find or make a strap to go over one shoulder with Velcro on either end to hold the band up.

I realize that there is no perfect system(unless I had a better vest but this appears that it will work well for me with some small modifications. Now if I could just find someone to make the perfect sling (in my eyes) for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top