Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 8:19:46 PM EDT
Will be switching from an ALS private company to city fire soon. City fire relies on the company I am leaving and only runs EMR or BLS care.  I want to keep my cert if possible. Can I stay active as a paramedic if I am still running calls but only providing EMR level care? Or do I have to go inacitve on Paramedic and obtain an EMR cert . I cant ask anyone near me because its a very uncommon issue within the state. Im only asking before I call ohio and talk to NR
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the Techs in our ED are EMT Basic there are a few Paramedics sprinkled in and they can work to the highest level of their licence so it would seem to me you should be able to keep your Paramedic

Will you be able to keep up with your CE?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, Have two options.  One is a tradtional week refresher that is taught at our station through an agreement to use our building. Second is online. 

What you stated would be ideal. Problem is fire dept does not have the budget for a monitor, drugs, and protocol just for me.  I would be limited to EMR or EMT B level care but would be a paramedic.  When I go to recert NR asks if I am currently serving as a medic.  good thing is I have 2 years to figure it out
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
According to the NR can go drop down to any level that you have previously been NR at.

You can do individual protocols pretty easily, in OK you can adopt the state's protocols for an individual with just a letter and some paperwork from your MD. That part is easy.

The real question is the skill utilization. If you're just doing BLS and have no ALS interventions used then you're not really working as a Paramedic. Best option would be to get some part time work as a Paramedic for a private EMS service.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, Part time is not an option because my agency owns 75 percent of the state so there are very few choices. Also dont want to have anything to do with where I am at now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top