Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 8:18:25 AM EDT
Doing well in class - something to be said for being 2x as old as the rest of them ...

Anyway need to think about the actual exam - in Illinoisistan we can take a paper state test or the wiz bang national computer one.  But once you take one you can't challenge the other before you pass the first.

I'm not going to be a working medic - a lic will help me with my day job , healtcare analytics , some side jobs I do and the local volunteer ambulance ( thought I lived too far out of town but they disagree)

Anyway my first thought is take the state exam, it's cheaper and theoretically easier get that locked in then knock out the national

thought?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
State then NR
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I had to get NREMT and state for my Billie medic duties. Was pretty easy. Just basic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you plan to move or it's required,why bother with NREMT.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
for my day job having national credentials will not exactly help but will be looked favorably upon  but I take your meaning
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Even though you might not need it now, take NREMT now while school is fresh.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Are the Limmer Cram Reviews worth the money -  they don't seem all that $$$
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Dept. TO here: make sure and check the renewal criteria for your state. I used to be somewhat ambivalent between NR and state for our EMRs but with the new NCCP program in place it is a much better renewal process for NR personnel and I think it's easier to get good training vs the refresher model where everyone is just slogging through it hoping for the end.

NR is required for EMR and up now for us now where before it was an option for EMRs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm I seek to recall that when I did it if we passed the National test it automatically counted as the state rest. That was AL back in the 90s. I don't know how it is today.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hmmm I seek to recall that when I did it if we passed the National test it automatically counted as the state rest. That was AL back in the 90s. I don't know how it is today.
View Quote
Still the same today.

National Registry test is given, when passed the state sends your license in the mail. Nor required to maintain Registry just maintain  Alabama credentials. I kept both Registry and AL State license while working, and MS state license as well when I went to the FD over there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]
NR isn't the red eyed, long clawed, sharp tooth monster so many make it out to be.
If you think you "can't", then why are you even doing this.
It takes a certain personality or ER staff and other EMS crews will eat you alive. Then the patients will get rough with you. It is rewarding and worth all the effort, but you need to be confident in yourself.
Either way, you should have the same knowledge. Good luck with your class.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even though you might not need it now, take NREMT now while school is fresh.
View Quote
Definitely this. NREMT was much easier than everyone told me it would be.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doing well in class - something to be said for being 2x as old as the rest of them ...

Anyway need to think about the actual exam - in Illinoisistan we can take a paper state test or the wiz bang national computer one.  But once you take one you can't challenge the other before you pass the first.

I'm not going to be a working medic - a lic will help me with my day job , healtcare analytics , some side jobs I do and the local volunteer ambulance ( thought I lived too far out of town but they disagree)

Anyway my first thought is take the state exam, it's cheaper and theoretically easier get that locked in then knock out the national

thought?
View Quote

I was in a similar situation for a while. There was no way I was going to let my EMT cert expire although I knew I was going to be non-affiliated both for my upcoming refresher and for a good chunk of time afterwards as well. Other then getting a few looks from the rest of the class when I told them I was paying out of pocket everything worked out fine.

The state exam is the state exam, The NR while not nearly as terrible and nightmarish as so many seem to always want to make it out to be, does require dedicating real time for study and prep in order to be successful. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
When I did mine we had to take the state and NR exam but I let the state part expire and was required by my agency to only keep up on the NR as that is what our protocols were based on.  As a fed, our EMT program is a unique animal where most of us were EMT-B but had a very much expanded skill set.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
ive been in EMS for 22 years. EMT, paramedic, EMT instructor, paramedic instructor, AHA instructor for ACLS and PALS. I've trained hundreds of people and I see my former students all the time. Many regret letting their national go (nj medics take the national for initial certification).
You will have the book knowledge when you finish, take the national soon. It takes a little extra time and effort to maintain your national cert but it's worth it just in case you move or pursue employment opportunities elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
VA now uses NREMT for its state written test. If you have the option, be sure to do both and keep them up to date. If you ever move, it'll make getting your cert easier at the new state.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I finished class, passed the state lisc exam with an 87, took the Registry Exam - whole eff that was awful it just stopped and 70 questions ... i figured there was $80 down the pooper - but holy crap I passed ....

the SOB that invented the computer adaptive test needs to be beaten with a large stick!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
State then NR
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because it is a nice resume builder, job portability...

Sides if oyu have the option of Illinois CCW or NATIONWIDE ccw which would you preffer? (bad comparision but hey)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top