Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 10:54:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Volunteer on small rural Volunteer Department (15 active firefighters) I've been on for 21 years.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you mean professional or not.  I know a lot of full-time guys don't consider Volunteers "real" wildlanders

If not, 9 years on our local volunteer fire department on the hi-line of Montana.   Just made Ass Chief this spring.   Small dept, only 8 "full time" guys.

Just spent today getting our seasonal brush truck in service.    '85 Chevy dually 1-ton.    I live 15 miles from the firehall so it's my assigned rig.   454 with 4:56 gears.  Tops out at about 50 with steering to match   Since the county won't budget ANY repair funds and we already have stuck $1,200 of our own cash into it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]

DOI guy here.  Type II FF is a collateral requirement for me but I've got some aviation quals that I enjoy and would like to keep.  I don't get out on the fireline too much though except on small type 4-5 fires that I respond to before my boss can call me back.  

I think I'm mostly an on-paper resource so our management can fill out required numbers.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it seems the BLM guys I been around don't seem to be "gun nerds", they have guns and enjoy them, but aren't as.....umm......hardcore as most of the people here are
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm support for VDOF.

We have good folks in Oklahoma now.

Danny

Proud.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it seems the BLM guys I been around don't seem to be "gun nerds", they have guns and enjoy them, but aren't as.....umm......hardcore as most of the people here are
View Quote

At my last duty station we had an NPS Hotshot crew.  I used to talk a bunch of harmless LE vs FF trash to em.  They were kind of like the navy a SEALs of the wildland world, hair products and short PT shorts and all that.  When I got to know em, there were quite a few gun nuts in their ranks.  As in single dudes with waaaay too much money to know what to do with.  This was the Rocky Mountain NP Alpine Hotshots and they're still a bunch of pansies

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#8]
X statie for three summers. Still miss it though. Miss the travel for dirt pay ;)
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to hijack your thread OP but I have a quick question for ya'll. I was just hired on to a combination department and our number one call type is wildland with a heavy dose of urban interface.

What type of hydration system would ya'll recommend? I was looking at the camelback but they are kinda spendy and there's a lot of different models out there. Nothing probably beats a couple of water bottles but this is Texas after all and hydration will be key as it's already 85 on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I worked some of the fire camps in Montana.I actually worked in the camp kitchen crew.We served breakfast and supper.....damned good meals too!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am guessing you will be doing a lot of work with engines. You probably wont be doing a lot of hiking. I would see what other guys use and go with that or modify for your needs. Engine guys want light weight packs that are easy to take on and off. Something that has a shelter compartment and a few pockets for water bottles.

My pack is set up for extended time away from a vehicle. I pack everything in it and its heavy..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to hijack your thread OP but I have a quick question for ya'll. I was just hired on to a combination department and our number one call type is wildland with a heavy dose of urban interface.

What type of hydration system would ya'll recommend? I was looking at the camelback but they are kinda spendy and there's a lot of different models out there. Nothing probably beats a couple of water bottles but this is Texas after all and hydration will be key as it's already 85 on a daily basis.
I am guessing you will be doing a lot of work with engines. You probably wont be doing a lot of hiking. I would see what other guys use and go with that or modify for your needs. Engine guys want light weight packs that are easy to take on and off. Something that has a shelter compartment and a few pockets for water bottles.

My pack is set up for extended time away from a vehicle. I pack everything in it and its heavy..
Your probably right. I haven't been issued any wildland gear yet. I am to assigned to the rescue engine so probably just roadside fires and structure protection. Our wildland situation can quickly turn into a full on forest fire pretty quick unfortunately. Once i get my wildland certs i assume i will receive the gear and the possibility of longer hikes .
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At my last duty station we had an NPS Hotshot crew.  I used to talk a bunch of harmless LE vs FF trash to em.  They were kind of like the navy a SEALs of the wildland world, hair products and short PT shorts and all that.  When I got to know em, there were quite a few gun nuts in their ranks.  As in single dudes with waaaay too much money to know what to do with.  This was the Rocky Mountain NP Alpine Hotshots and they're still a bunch of pansies

View Quote
Somebody has never hungout at a Jumper or Rappel Base

That Attitude/Personality times 100.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Volunteer Firefighter of 10 years here. Jack of many trades master of none. From wildland fire to structural fire and most fires in between, as well as most things from extrication to medical emergencies(Emergency Medical Responder).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top