Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 5:52:37 PM EDT
Hey Guys, my wife is working on a paper for college regarding concealed carry in EMS. I've been a medic for 17 years and she has been an EMT for 8 and 2 years as a firefighter.
Does your municipality or agency allow for concealed carry? Or already have a firearm on the vehicle? What's your agency policy on vests/armor? Issues or personal purchase? I know it's a hot button topic and has been talked about. She's been pulling articles online about assaults against EMS and as much data as she can that is published.
She is covering violence against EMS as well as self defense and 2A in the paper. Just looking for some input to assist her. Thanks in advance.

Update -
So she submitted her thesis and got an A. The professor (pretty liberal and left in a liberal left community college) is going to use it as a model for future classes on how to write a thesis and annotated bibliography.

She covered concealed carry in EMS as well as ballistic vests and funding for EMS.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm all for EMS open carry like the police.......America is no longer safe
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you are going to see many career or private services authorizing employees to carry either concealed or open.  I would forsee a lot of issues open carrying in other Healthcare facilities.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
No thank you.  Maybe a tazer, but who knows how many partners would get zapped

I don't even carry a knife (on me) while on the truck.  Easiest way to have an armed patient is to carry the knife for them.  Be nice to the officers on scene and they will more than likely show up for the next one.  They carry all the guns I need.

Vests are personally purchased, although they company may pay for part of it.  Just started working for my current agency and it hasn't been talked about in orientation, but it wasn't part of the uniform day either.

I also work as an EMT for a security department, and half the staff all want to go armed, and I think that is an even worse idea.  Can't even get them to follow a simple uniform policy.  No way I would trust 90% of them with any sort of weapon.  Bad enough we give them OC and an asp.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the money would be better spent by municipalities to hire more officers for shifts and instituting a policy where an officer responds to ems calls that fit a criteria. I under stand the cost would be greater to hire another officer(s) per shift but the liability is too high for ems/fire to carry firearms. Police are police and fire/ems is fire/ems...I wouldn't mix the two and foresee favorable results.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't believe it is legal in some states. On the other end of the spectrum I know there are public safety departments in California, Sunnyvale is one I think where all the firefighters are also cops and vice versa. Hope that helps.
John
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
In PA are not allowed to have any type of weapons on the ambulance.   That includes any pepper spray , tasers, or batons.  They will also bust your balls about knives but we call them seat belt cutters so then they are rescue tools.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
IN our dept. a Fire Marshall any deputy of the county, and any state trooper can. We have a few career guys that still part time with another agency as deputies and they can't carry. So, outside of the FMs we have 1 volunteer that can carry because he is a trooper. We have vests for active shooters, nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Only the Fire Inspectors who are sworn LEO's are allowed to carry a firearm on duty regardless of CCW status for us.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Private here. No state law stating we can't carry. Company policy says we can't. Some do anyway. Concealed is concealed, just don't be surprised if you're fired should things go tits up.

Vests, if any, are personal, none issued.

We've had ambulances shot at driving down the street, bullet holes into patient compartments.

Police do well handling all the other contact situations. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
As I understand it, in Kansas if you work for a County or City government, you can't be prohibited from carrying concealed while you're working. (Unless there are metal detectors and guards) The only requirement my county makes regarding firearms is that employees driving county vehicles (ie EMS) must have a gun safe that they provide in their vehicles so they can secure their firearms if they need to go into a marked building.

I'm not EMS, but I work for another county department. If they have departmental policies regarding this, I'm not aware of them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]
At a past job we had mace, training provided by the county Sheriff.

Currently I have a pocketknife and clipboard.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Kansas passed a law last year that allows for all public workers to carry concealed.  As long as all of the applicable concealed carry laws are followed, your good.  No police stations, court houses, etc.  We follow the "don't ask, don't tell" policy on carrying.    You are not covered by the County if you shoot. You're on your own.  
 Our vest policy right now is , if you want to wear one, fine.  You have to buy it, and it must be under your duty shirt, in a white carrier.  You just need a letter from the Dept, because the local Galls won't sell one if your not LE without the letter.
 We have some folks that carry all the time, and some that won't go near a weapon.  The choice is yours.  I won't lie, there have been several times that I would have liked to have been armed, but for the most part, we have good LE response to calls.

Respectfully-
     DR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Wear a few different hats. I volley fire/EMS in my hometown and am a Leo. The fd says no weapons. Secure them in your vehicle. I told them i would be carrying when off duty from law enforcement.

So, officially the policy is no but I seem to be the exception. I'm told if there's an incident I will not receive representation from the FD.

No body armor other than what I supply.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The needs for self defense doesn't go away with a particular job.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
A CCDWing EMS member recognized a murder suspect(convicted now) return to the scene of a crime here locally . He successfully stopped him.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At a past job we had mace, training provided by the county Sheriff.

Currently I have a pocketknife and clipboard.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#20]
West Virginia just passed a law regarding this.

West Virginia

"The West Virginia House of Representatives passed a bill Monday that would authorize non-police first responders to carry guns while on duty.

The Herald-Dispatch reported that House Bill 2916, sponsored by Rep. Lovejoy Hanshaw, was approved on a 96-2 vote and will now head to the West Virginia Senate for consideration.

The legislation would allow first responders, namely EMTs and firefighters, to carry guns once they have completed firearms training equivalent to the training required for West Virginia State Police."
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Retention  should be a something everyone considers when thinking about ccw during EMS work.  Maybe we are different in Florida but there's a lot of wrangling patients and physical stuff in our work.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Retention  should be a something everyone considers when thinking about ccw during EMS work.  Maybe we are different in Florida but there's a lot of wrangling patients and physical stuff in our work.
View Quote
Are you the Matt with Hillsborough that a 90 yr old patient took down and need help with.

Just joking
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
After the "1996 incident" across Tampa Bay our dept had nothing for vests. Post incident, and one of our engine drivers getting shot...LEVEL II vests we're carried under the bench seats in the Rescues...I couldn't tell you what they are doing now. (Retired)
CCW was a no go....even for us SWAT Medics...despite the training.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't remember if Hillsborough county SERT medics had access to weapons or not. I want to say they did not. But not sure.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#25]
So my wife completed her paper, she got an A minus. We were both surprised.
With her permission I'll post the text.
Thanks for the input everyone
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Does your municipality or agency allow for concealed carry? No
Or already have a firearm on the vehicle?  No
What's your agency policy on vests/armor? Can wear, but must be under uniform shirt
Issues or personal purchase? Personal purchase
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top