Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 10:34:10 PM EDT
Okay,so what happens with speeding tickets when the driver has a foreign DL and driving a privately owned or company vehicle i.e. not a rental?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]
In Arizona just like anyone else, if you fail to pay you get an arrest warrant.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The DMV in NY would just throw a suspension on their driving record if they didn't answer it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The question arose because I work with a guy that has a Foreign DL and Passport and a US DL and Passport.  We were all wondering how that works if he tried to be slick and hand over that the Foreign one and said screw paying the ticket.  The foreign DL is just a piece of card stock paper with his name and address in the other country, no picture.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The question arose because I work with a guy that has a Foreign DL and Passport and a US DL and Passport.  We were all wondering how that works if he tried to be slick and hand over that the Foreign one and said screw paying the ticket.  The foreign DL is just a piece of card stock paper with his name and address in the other country, no picture.
View Quote

Depends on state law.

In all my years in LE I've never heard of or seen a "US DL".

If he lived and worked in FL none of his licenses would be valid for starters... so it would not matter which one he produced. If he failed to pay a ticket, his privilege to drive in our state would be suspended. Even if he were to go get 49 valid licenses from the other 49 states, he still can't legally drive in FL and would get arrested again if stopped.

There are certain exemptions to our DL law but does not sound like he meets them.

Exemptions:

322.04 Persons exempt from obtaining driver license.—
(1) The following persons are exempt from obtaining a driver license:
(a) Any employee of the United States Government, while operating a noncommercial motor vehicle owned by or leased to the United States Government and being operated on official business.
(b) Any person while driving or operating any road machine, farm tractor, or implement of husbandry temporarily operated or moved on a highway.
(c) A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid noncommercial driver license issued to the nonresident in his or her home state or country operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state.
(d) A nonresident who is at least 18 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid noncommercial driver license issued to the nonresident in his or her home state or country operating a motor vehicle, other than a commercial motor vehicle, in this state.
(e) Any person operating a golf cart, as defined in s. 320.01, which is operated in accordance with the provisions of s. 316.212.
(2) This section does not apply to any person to whom s. 322.031 applies.
(3) Any person working for a firm under contract to the United States Government whose residence is outside this state and whose main point of employment is outside this state may drive a noncommercial vehicle on the public roads of this state for periods up to 60 days while in this state on temporary duty, if the person has a valid driver license from the state of the person’s residence.

But... if non-resident as per above but works in our state:

322.031 Nonresident; when license required.—
(1) In each case in which a nonresident, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003, accepts employment or engages in a trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state, such nonresident shall, within 30 days after beginning such employment or education, be required to obtain a Florida driver license if such nonresident operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this state. The spouse or dependent child of such nonresident shall also be required to obtain a Florida driver license within that 30-day period before operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state.
(2) A member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty in this state, his or her spouse, or a dependent residing with him or her, is not required to obtain or display a Florida driver license if he or she is in possession of a valid military identification card and either a valid driver license or learner’s permit issued by another state, or a valid military driving permit. Such a person is not required to obtain or display a Florida driver license because he or she enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state or because he or she accepts employment or engages in a trade, profession, or occupation in this state.
(3) A nonresident who is domiciled in another state and who commutes into this state in order to work is not required to obtain a Florida driver license under this section solely because he or she has accepted employment or engages in a trade, profession, or occupation in this state if he or she has a valid driver license issued by another state. Further, a person who is enrolled as a student in a college or university and who is a nonresident but is in this state for a period of up to 6 months engaged in a work-study program for which academic credits are earned from a college whose credits or degrees are accepted for credit by at least three accredited institutions of higher learning, as defined in s. 1005.02, is not required to obtain a Florida driver license for the duration of the work-study program if such person has a valid driver license issued by another state. A nonresident who is enrolled as a full-time student in such institution of higher learning is also exempt from the requirement of obtaining a Florida driver license for the duration of such enrollment.
(4) A nonresident who is at least 21 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid commercial driver license issued in substantial compliance with the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 may operate a motor vehicle of the type permitted by his or her license to be operated in this state.

ETA- I work just north of Orlando, we see lots of foreign DL credentials. We generally extend the courtesy of a written warning to visitors and tourists. We also encounter and arrest foreign nationals who don't possess a valid DL due to the application of the aforementioned laws above. When there is any doubt, we don't take enforcement action. We just make sure they are not wanted fugitives and gather complete identity information.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Forgive my error.  Please allow me to rephrase myself.  A Drivers License issued by a State or Territory of the United States of America.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Forgive my error.  Please allow me to rephrase myself.  A Drivers License issued by a State or Territory of the United States of America.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... I see.  You would be surprised at the bogus documents out there that people buy and present as authentic.

In that case, if he first presented me with a foreign DL, and then when faced with the possibility of arrest for no valid DL decided to present me with a valid DL from a state, I'd seriously consider charging him with Failure to Present DL Upon Demand... as it would be REASONABLE to believe he knew, or reasonably should have known, to present his valid STATE issued DL. Would depend on the totality of the encounter and documents involved. Here in FL, it would be a slam dunk case.

Keep in mind, dispatch can run DL's in a series of states at one time by regions so "discovering" a valid or invalid DL from another state is easy and it happens on occasion. I've run people with valid DL's from other states in FL to see what their driving status is in our state and have made quite a few arrests for people with a valid DL from another state but their FL privilege is suspended. Again, situation dependent.

We almost always run foreign DL holders, especially nonresident aliens who possess a foreign DL, in the SE United States to see if they have DL's in other states. At one time, SC and NC were easy states to get DL's. A quick criminal history check also gives clues to states where a person may have had a DL at one time. Same for vehicles registered in their name.

Bottom line, a smart experienced cop will cut through the BS generally in short order. Some people fail to realize others have come before them trying the same stuff... technology and information is great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Being close to Indiana University we get a ton of people that are not US citizens. They like to hand you their passport and hope that you tell them to slow down. What I have figured out is that most of them have an Indiana Drivers license when I run their name and DOB......automatic ticket from me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I figured one would get caught doing that and it not end well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#9]
We are told to try to get bond on the spot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL... I see.  You would be surprised at the bogus documents out there that people buy and present as authentic.

In that case, if he first presented me with a foreign DL, and then when faced with the possibility of arrest for no valid DL decided to present me with a valid DL from a state, I'd seriously consider charging him with Failure to Present DL Upon Demand... as it would be REASONABLE to believe he knew, or reasonably should have known, to present his valid STATE issued DL. Would depend on the totality of the encounter and documents involved. Here in FL, it would be a slam dunk case.

Keep in mind, dispatch can run DL's in a series of states at one time by regions so "discovering" a valid or invalid DL from another state is easy and it happens on occasion. I've run people with valid DL's from other states in FL to see what their driving status is in our state and have made quite a few arrests for people with a valid DL from another state but their FL privilege is suspended. Again, situation dependent.

We almost always run foreign DL holders, especially nonresident aliens who possess a foreign DL, in the SE United States to see if they have DL's in other states. At one time, SC and NC were easy states to get DL's. A quick criminal history check also gives clues to states where a person may have had a DL at one time. Same for vehicles registered in their name.

Bottom line, a smart experienced cop will cut through the BS generally in short order. Some people fail to realize others have come before them trying the same stuff... technology and information is great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here...another common scam is the "International Driver's License" that supposedly allows driving privileges worldwide. I think AAA used to give them out. Lots of people with  no valid license for whatever reason were using those for awhile. Anytime I saw one, I knew I was probably putting pen to carbon paper.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#11]
In general no state drivers license = citation + they have to call someone with a valid DL to come drive them away. I sometimes let tourists from other countries slide.  Some smaller agencies might book them into jail and get a bond. Which is smart if your agency allows that.

DMV website mentions an international drivers permit but I've never ran into anyone with anything like that.

We have a lot of illegal Hispanics here that try to pull off the passport or international drivers license thing. I honestly feel kind of bad for some of them. In this country for 5+ years working. No criminal history/arrests during that time. Has a job, place to live, car registered in their name + vehicle insurance as they are supposed to. But cannot get a valid state drivers license..... So essentially they are stuck just paying the fine every time but they always continue driving after because they have no choice.  Last guy I ran into has been here 12 years (No arrests during that time) and is still illegal and can't get a drivers license.

Can someone please tell me why the hell we don't issue these people drivers licenses, work visa's and tax them?  They are here regardless. They aren't going anywhere. If they do go somewhere they'll be back when they are ready to. We have thousands of them here.  Law enforcement has 0 authority to do anything about unlawful presence in US here. And it would make them easier to track/deal with/identify.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Haha.  If they're simply speeding, they get a warning.  Being close to a couple major metro areas with good STEM schools I see a lot of Middle Eastern students with fancy cars.  If they're driving crazy or really hauling ass I scratch out a ticket.  

Then I tell em that it's a Federal Violation Notice and that nonpayment may affect their exit and/or reentry into the country.  I mean, technically it could, right?

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The DMV in NY would just throw a suspension on their driving record if they didn't answer it.
View Quote

Thats what Mi SOS does too IIRC. Some courts may issue a bench warrant for fail to appear, but that is court to court. I know we take the physical license in leu of bond for out of state and international drivers. It goes to the court and if/when you pay they hand you back the license.

In 22 years I really only remember maybe a handful of times when I had to deal with an international license (that wasn't canadian).

J-
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a lot of foreign students at the local university who drive on their home nation DL.
It is legal to do so as long as they carry an English translation of the foreign license
During the stop the officer will check state DMV for a state license if they're claiming to not have one.
After the first ticket the state will generate a state client ID that will follow them regardless of their driving on a foreign DL
I carry a book that covers foreign DL in case of not recognizing the document I've been handed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DMV website mentions an international drivers permit but I've never ran into anyone with anything like that.We have a lot of illegal Hispanics here that try to pull off the passport or international drivers license thing. I honestly feel kind of bad for some of them. In this country for 5+ years working. No criminal history/arrests during that time. Has a job, place to live, car registered in their name + vehicle insurance as they are supposed to. But cannot get a valid state drivers license..... So essentially they are stuck just paying the fine every time but they always continue driving after because they have no choice.  Last guy I ran into has been here 12 years (No arrests during that time) and is still illegal and can't get a drivers license.

Can someone please tell me why the hell we don't issue these people drivers licenses, work visa's and tax them?  They are here regardless. They aren't going anywhere. If they do go somewhere they'll be back when they are ready to. We have thousands of them here.  Law enforcement has 0 authority to do anything about unlawful presence in US here. And it would make them easier to track/deal with/identify.
View Quote

Breaking the MANY LAWs,, illegally entering, and then to stay here.  Then to work under the table, burden your hospitals, schools. No they are criminals, they get enough benefits that you and my family cant and never will recieve because we abide the law. Call Border Patrol or ICE, when you encounter these people. Yes, i am part of the "Mean Green Machine" in south Texas.

I understand the sympathy, but a law is a law, a criminal a criminal.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Call ICE???

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I am sure they will actually be allowed to do their job, come Trump time. Before Obama, they would only show if we had 10 or more. There were exceptions. They loved to come grab the Canadians and the Italians. Not sure why either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Haha.  If they're simply speeding, they get a warning.  Being close to a couple major metro areas with good STEM schools I see a lot of Middle Eastern students with fancy cars.  If they're driving crazy or really hauling ass I scratch out a ticket.  

Then I tell em that it's a Federal Violation Notice and that nonpayment may affect their exit and/or reentry into the country.  I mean, technically it could, right?
View Quote

Unfortunately, no it won't. It should.

INA § 212(a)(2) lists the criminal grounds of inadmissibility. Any person is inadmissible who (1) was convicted of or admits to committing a "crime of moral turpitude" or a controlled substance violation; (2) was convicted of two or more offenses of any type and received aggregate sentences of five or more years; (3) trafficked or assisted in the trafficking of controlled substances, or knowingly benefitted from a spouse or parent's trafficking activities; (4) is coming to the U.S. to engage in prostitution or commercialized vice; (5) previously departed the U.S. as a condition of receiving immunity from prosecution for a serious crime committed in the U.S.; (6) engaged in severe violations of religious freedoms as an official in a foreign government; (7) has engaged in trafficking in persons or knowingly benefitted from a spouse or parent's trafficking; or (8) has engaged in money laundering or is coming to the U.S. to launder money.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Call ICE???

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I am sure they will actually be allowed to do their job, come Trump time. Before Obama, they would only show if we had 10 or more. There were exceptions. They loved to come grab the Canadians and the Italians. Not sure why either.
View Quote

Most Mexican aliens enter the US without inspection and are eligible for Voluntary Return. Lets compare that to a jaywalker. No deportation hearing, the alien just signs a request to go back to Mexico and is on the next bus back to the border or driven to the border by the Border Patrol if caught by them. Most Canadians and Italians are legally admitted and are subject to complying with the conditions of their temporary status (many are B2 Visitors). When they violate their status they are processed for deportation (Removal) proceedings before an Immigration Judge. Lets compare these to shoplifters. They are detained in custody or released on bond pending a hearing before the judge. If ordered deported a Deportation Officer has to obtain a travel authorization document from their Embassy and then arrange transportation back. So, would you be more inclined to chase and arrest a jaywalker or a shoplifter (offense committed in your presence)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top