Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 3:34:58 PM EDT
Decided today I'll never put the uniform on again. Began as a civvie cop in '84. I think thats long enough.

The rest of my life is mine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck!!  Don't become a statistic.  Keep physically fit and find something to do to keep a routine.  I've known a few retired cops who died not too long after retirement.  Don't be one yourself!!

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Yeah Ive known many that just drank themselves to death after retiring. I dont drink and am not keen on dieing.

Its kind of a funny feeling. I wont miss doing the job but I will miss many people. Going for coffee, busting balls...ect
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratsulaions.

Hey, if you miss the guys too much you can always get a job as courthouse security.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Decided today I'll never put the uniform on again. Began as a civvie cop in '84. I think thats long enough.

View Quote

congrats, getting to that point myself.

J-
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats.  Got a good hobby or part time no-brainer job lined up to pass the time?

Friday is my last day as well.  This week is going sooooo slowly!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats, I pulled the pin in 2013 just to put on another uniform doing Armed Security.

Can't beat the money they are paying me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats.  Got a good hobby or part time no-brainer job lined up to pass the time?

Friday is my last day as well.  This week is going sooooo slowly!
View Quote

Not yet, right now I just want to get well and recover from another injury. But Im not going back to put the uniform on again.

Its really, really, getting bad out there. I can understand the guy who doesnt want to do pro-active but when the people you work with are so scared to get involved they dont even want to come to your aid its time for me to retire.

"Most" guys are still pretty good but the ones you simply cant depend on has grown exponentially in the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats to you. I have a few more years to go but am looking forward to it. It's time to get a place in the mountains.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the "Fuck you. Pay Me!" club.

Enjoy. (keep living and get another couple million out of 'em)
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I was active for twenty years on a major eastern city police department.  I've been retired for 25 years.  Now I only carry for my own defense.   Stay busy, find a lifetime hobby to participate in.  Sitting on the couch drinking beer and watching the tube is a death knell for anyone.  Especially us.  Good on ya, enjoy your life.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 27 years left in my career....25 + 52 years of age....or is it 53yoa?

Either way...congrats...hopefully I make it to that point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#14]
You picked a hell of a time to get out.
Right before the shit really hits the fan.

We are going to look back at this time and say if only we knew.

As far as the coffee goes I meet three retired TDPS troopers several times a week for coffee at a local watering hole.

We talk about better times and hunting etc.  they all have other jobs now.

Keep your powder dry, find something to do and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Best of all I got out taking a free health care deal we'll never,ever see in a contract again. So I get to collect my pension AND get my BCBS free. It means a lot cause I e had some severe injuries doing this job. Which BTW is just getting more and more dangerous. The gangsta's don't fear us anymore and this idiot public seems to think that's a good thing.

Just last week one of our girls got severely injured cause some PCP'ed 300 lber beat her to a pulp and she was afraid to use her gun. Man fuck this. When our lives are that worthless to this shit place its time to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Best of all I got out taking a free health care deal we'll never,ever see in a contract again. So I get to collect my pension AND get my BCBS free. It means a lot cause I e had some severe injuries doing this job. Which BTW is just getting more and more dangerous. The gangsta's don't fear us anymore and this idiot public seems to think that's a good thing.

Just last week one of our girls got severely injured cause some PCP'ed 300 lber beat her to a pulp and she was afraid to use her gun. Man fuck this. When our lives are that worthless to this shit place its time to go.
View Quote

A certain large city in northern IL?

5 years to go myself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Best of all I got out taking a free health care deal we'll never,ever see in a contract again. So I get to collect my pension AND get my BCBS free. It means a lot cause I e had some severe injuries doing this job.
View Quote

Free healthcare in retirement is indeed nice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations and best wishes for a long retirement.

I hit this forum by mistake, I'm not LEO; but my good wishes still stand.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Last night was your last night right OP?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Jealous.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually changed retirement dates, you can do that in the KIA club, but now I am gone.

I miss the guys but thats about it. Altogether about 40 years in LE and Im tired of dancing around in the mine field.

But overall the job was good to me. Thanks for the well wishes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats.

Be there in 12 years.  14 down, 12 more to go.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

enjoy! getting close to that point myself.

J-
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Congratulations on surviving!   Started in '86, hope to be out in 2012!

Stay alive as long as possible if for no other reason then to flip the bird to all the shit you dealt with!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks. Yeah Ive known many that just drank themselves to death after retiring. I dont drink and am not keen on dieing.

Its kind of a funny feeling. I wont miss doing the job but I will miss many people. Going for coffee, busting balls...ect
View Quote

NOT a LEO. I am a sailor.

I TRULY know what you mean.

I just turned 65 and THIS is a BIG reason I won't retire.

WHile it is not the same thing as being a cop, the same thread runs through it.

Those of you that know how to think will know what I mean.

It's kinda like a Yogi Berra-ism. We went to different schools together.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats and enjoy your retirement.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks to all. About 1 month and Im bored already. But Im not bored from not being a cop anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I did   25 years,1955 to 1981. Been retired 36 years. I have seen many of my old pals  die after retirement along the way. you never know when your time will come.One  fellow that retired with me was shot and killed in a mall parking lot soon after retiring.So retire and make the best of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#31]
You lucky bastard!

I was out of work recently due to a medical condition. After a while I was shocked at how little daily stress I had. I really didn't know how bad it was. When working I have about 2 migraines a week. While I was out I had 2 migraines IN 5 MONTHS and one of them was right before I went back to work and was dealing with all that stuff.

Enjoy it youve earned it
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I should add one of the things our retirees complain about is no one "coming to see them" after they retire. My reply back to them is "how many retirees did you visit while you were working?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top