Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2016 4:12:34 PM EDT
Title is pretty self-explanatory. Already have the basics down; fresh haircut/shave, wearing a suit, shining shoes, etc... Anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Eye contact. Be comfortable in the setting yet attentive. DO YOUR RESEARCH on the community your are applying to. Be polite. Don't fidget. LISTEN CAREFULLY to the examiners' questions, answer all parts of the question. Community policing is what every department is looking for, find out about it and use the info in your answers.

ETA: If you have a contact to anyone currently on with that department, ask then questions about what is going on in the community, what is important to the department personnel, and what they think they are looking for in a new hire.

Good luck.

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The top five on the eventual list will have connections that tell them the questions and answers before they go into the board.  These people will be relatives or connections of the current staff.

You have done well if someone follows you out and asks you who you know because you answered all of the questions correctly, and covered all the bases appropriately.  

When they start picking people under your position on the list, you learn all about Equal Opportunity employment, gender quota requirement and nepotism.

Good luck!  Apply in many places.  Have a back up plan.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! I've made some good contacts throughout the department over the past few months so I'll definitely contact them for more info. Though as a 31-year-old white guy I'm not sure I'll fit into any of the diversity categories.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Record yourself. See your quirks and work on them.

Have an opening. Tell us about yourself and why you want the job.

Have a closing. Thank them for their time and sell yourself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Good call on recording myself. Also, I've asked this question before in non-LEO job interviews with typically positive results, wondering how it would go over. At the end if/when they ask if I have any questions, would it be a good idea to ask, "Is there anything I've said here today that you would like me to elaborate on?"
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The top five on the eventual list will have connections that tell them the questions and answers before they go into the board.  These people will be relatives or connections of the current staff.

You have done well if someone follows you out and asks you who you know because you answered all of the questions correctly, and covered all the bases appropriately.  

When they start picking people under your position on the list, you learn all about Equal Opportunity employment, gender quota requirement and nepotism.

Good luck!  Apply in many places.  Have a back up plan.

View Quote

LOL, no, Not in my town.

Yes, this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
know the top few of the chain of command, and anything interesting about the area/dept. Look at the dept web site learn/memorize a few things from there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I would add the following;

Know what the Department's mission statement is and if they have a values statement (Respect, Integrity, Compassion, Teamwork, etc...) not just the spiel you see on the side of the!  You can smoothly weave these keywords into your answers when appropriate/applicable such as if you are asked "Briefly describe yourself and what you believe you bring to the community" or  "Why do you believe you would make a good Reserve Officer?" it's a no brainer, pick a few of the values in your answer and you knock it out of the park.  Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Is there anything unique or special that the Department or the City is known for? (hopefully something good) what is it and how will you contribute to it?

What level Reserve are you applying for? be prepared to know some basic Penal Code sections and their corresponding elements of the crime (211, 245, 242, 273.5, 484, 488 etc)

When you answer a question, respond directly to the person who asked it.

This is for a Reserve position, are their Reserves expected to work specific events? (parades, fairs, festivals, etc, etc) know what they are and be prepared to commit to participating in them.

Have you gone on any ride-a-longs?  if not, you/re doing it wrong.

Have you gone on a ride-a-long with the Reserve Coordinator? (if he/she is a full-time officer).

Relax, be confident, remember that you have a lot to offer and the Department will benefit with you being on the Team.

Keep us posted after the event...

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Answer honestly. Sanctity of life takes priority.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
It has been years since I had or have done any interviews. The last one I went through, caught me off guard.

The question was "why should we select YOU for this position?"

I've never been one to brag on myself, but the only thing that came to mind in that split second was was a list of certifications and junk like that.

Thinking back I should have said that I would be a good employee. I have a willingness to study and learn, I'm loyal to the job, I dedicate myself to my work and always strive to perform my job to the best of my abilities.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Think before your answer.  Your first reaction may be right but it might not be phrased correctly, particularly if your brain and mouth typically operate at different speeds.  I would rather hear a short pause and then an intelligent answer than ten seconds of babbling followed by a coherent thought.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Depending on the agency, be prepared for questions like, "how is diversity important in your life?"

Of course, th correct answer is,"I ain' afraid to beat down a motherfucker of any color, gender or sexual perversion."

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Obviously, arrive early.

Body language.. google it and practice it.

Tell the truth. They will find out, or; you will reach a point where you start wishing you had told the truth, because discovery of a lie could end your career.

You're 31, so you have a lot more life experience than most of your competitors. Use it to your advantage.

Having some inside info is also peace of mind. Hit your buddies up for any little thing that may help. I was told "check out the chair legs when you get in there."When I walk in I notice they had sawed off a few inches to make you sit lower and put them in a dominant position. Just knowing stupid stuff like that gave me an edge in feeling more comfortable in the room.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also, have a few questions at the end. If this is the first of 2 or more interviews, ask what they are looking for in an officer or what makes a successful officer. Use this to tailor your research and responses for the next round, if you get there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, everyone. Boards went great, passed them no problem. Now just waiting to meet with a psychologist to go over the psych eval I had to take.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't fuck up

Be yourself. Don't feed them the answer you think they want to hear.

ETA: nevermind
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks, everyone. Boards went great, passed them no problem. Now just waiting to meet with a psychologist to go over the psych eval I had to take.
View Quote

Good to hear. One step at a time!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen to that!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Write down the questions they ask and read it before answering. Most make the mistake of not actually answering the question but rather answer what they think the question was.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
so how did it go?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
so how did it go?
View Quote

It went really well. I moved on to the next steps and am now just waiting to hear back about my physical, which should be fine, and then I have to meet with a psychologist to go over the psych eval I had to complete. As long as that all goes well I'm of to the academy in January.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It went really well. I moved on to the next steps and am now just waiting to hear back about my physical, which should be fine, and then I have to meet with a psychologist to go over the psych eval I had to complete. As long as that all goes well I'm of to the academy in January.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so how did it go?

Coming from someone who has his first oral board next week, do you (or anyone else) have any tips or advice to add to what's been said already?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Coming from someone who has his first oral board next week, do you (or anyone else) have any tips or advice to add to what's been said already?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so how did it go?

Everything here was really solid. Wear a suit, get your shoes shined, have a fresh haircut, and shave that morning. Do your homework on the department and the city. Be honest, don't try to give answers you think they want. Relax as much as possible. It's supposed to be stressful, you don't want to show them you're incapable of handling the stress.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I was hired back in 1974. Interested in asking what questions they ask now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was hired back in 1974. Interested in asking what questions they ask now.
View Quote

The  majority of my questions were situational. Was also asked what I'd done to prepare for the interview. Had some questions regarding race relations and media portrayal of LEOs. And of course, why do want to be an officer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm going tomorrow for my first oral board.  

I was driving myself nuts, looking all over the interwebs for possible questions that they could ask.  I finally decided that there was no possible way for me to come up with an answer for everything.

My strategy became thinking about why I want to be a cop, my strengths and weaknesses, and telling myself about myself out loud in the car or telling my wife or friends.

I was worrying too much about trying to have an answer for every possible question, and psyching myself out.  I don't want to go in there a nervous wreck, so I decided to get loose with it and see what happens.

Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#29]
It went pretty well, I think.

Advice for the next people asking for help, pay attention to anyone that comes in the room.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Some good stuff in here, glad I found this thread. I'll have my boards this Saturday. Anyone have any advice about what questions to ask the panel? Assuming "what are you looking for in a good officer" was already covered.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
"Is there anything that I've talked about that you'd like me to expand on"

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks. I did ask something similar to that. Interview went over by 15 minutes, probably due to me being too verbose. Hope that doesn't kill it for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks. I did ask something similar to that. Interview went over by 15 minutes, probably due to me being too verbose. Hope that doesn't kill it for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say an interview going long is a good sign. If they didn't like you, they would be cutting you short and trying to get the interview over with.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would say an interview going long is a good sign. If they didn't like you, they would be cutting you short and trying to get the interview over with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have been right, just got a call with a conditional offer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Be honest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top