Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 4:39:42 PM EDT
For any that will, Prayers are needed for a local officer here in Blount County Tenn. Responded to a domestic, was shot and rushed to UT Medical Center. I do not know who the Officer is yet, as it just happened. Shooter is in custody, shooters wife was at Alcoa Police depart "severely beaten".

EDIT At 18:56 It was confirmed by Maryville Police Chief Tony Crisp that the MPD officer has passed away. The Officer was in the area when the call was alerted out, of a subject with a gun threatening to kill his father, who was in the house. The officer, who had just recently transferred from Motorcycle Patrol to Narcotics, responded. Another Narcotics officer was present in the vehicle. They arrived and as they were exiting the vehicle, came under fire from the damned coward. The other officer was able to return fire, without striking the coward, who complied with instructions and was taken into custody.

The Officer leaves behind 3 small children.

God bless and protect Officers
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers for the officer and his family....
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers for the Officer
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayers inbound
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
He died before he made it to the hospital.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Prayers inbound. Maryville is close to my heart.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He died before he made it to the hospital.
View Quote

Our new normal.  RIP Brother...
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Prayers out. He had three kids. My God.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
RIP brother, we have the watch from here
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Local here as well

Sent you a PM, and prayers inbound

R.I.P. Brother

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
This year is taking a heavy toll.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Closure. From BCSO Sheriff James Berrong.

Blount County Sheriff's Office
August 29 at 3:32pm ·

Four days ago, the City of Maryville and Blount County lost one of our finest. Much has already been said about Officer Kenny Moats. He was a home-grown boy who had a heart of gold and a loyalty toward family, friends, and his brothers and sisters in Blue that is unmatched. He was loved by all.
Officer Moats was, is, a hero. His life was not given in vain. The other two deputies are also heroes. Their lives were spared by the grace of God. Everyone now knows the story of how Kenny and the other officers ended up at the residence on Kerr Way Lane Thursday afternoon shortly before 4 p.m. A domestic situation involving a possible weapon. Law enforcement officers know there is no “routine” call. Any call, any traffic stop, has unknown elements that could bring harm or even death to citizens they are trying to help or to the officers themselves. Officers fall back on their training and use sound tactics on every call, even if it is considered “low-risk.” Officer Moats and his partner are both seasoned veterans who have responded to hundreds of domestics during their careers. They did everything right during their response. The man who perpetrated this evil deed ambushed these officers. He laid in wait in the garage behind a barricade to remain unseen When he saw an opportune chance, he began firing at them. Both officers were wearing ballistic vests, but ballistic vests do not completely cover the neck area. There is nothing these officers could have done to prevent what happened. They did everything right. Officer Moats is, was, a hero. The two Blount County deputies are heroes. They are heroes because they stood, they continue to stand, for what they believe in.

As I sat in my office Thursday afternoon and heard my deputy on the radio, my blood turned cold. “Shots fired, 156 is down. We need an ambulance.” I raced out of my office, footsteps of other deputies close behind me. This is the call we don't want to hear, but it is also the call we know can happen anywhere, anytime. It's always in the back of our minds, and we pray it won't happen in our community. Unfortunately, it happened here. In the U.S. 76 officers have died so far in the line of duty, and 38 of these deaths were by gunfire. That is up 52% from the same time last year. The year 2016 has not been kind to us. Law enforcement officers don't choose this career for the fame or the glory, and we certainly don't do it for the money. This is a calling. We do it for love of community and an inner drive to help people. Officer Moats paid the ultimate price for his passion. I'm so proud of the men and women of all of the law enforcement agencies in Blount County. And words cannot express my gratitude to the law enforcement agencies from surrounding counties and agencies who have assisted Blount County and Maryville Police Department with patrol functions. The outpouring of support from these agencies has been a tremendous asset to us. When we needed assistance, they raced to assist.

Thank you, Blount County, East Tennessee, and law enforcement officers far and wide for your support and well wishes to Kenny's family and to our law enforcement community. Officer Moats is gone, but he is certainly not forgotten. Fidelis ad mortem.

Sheriff James Lee Berrong
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Prayers sent. Rest in peace brother.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Prayers sent. I heard of this when it happened and was greatly saddened.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Prayers out for him and his family. I know he is in God's hands. Prayers will continue for his family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top