Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 1:10:11 PM EDT
I am looking for 8 or so fire extinguishers for sheds, farm equipment, etc...  Other than buying some disposable units at lowes for rental units I have no experience with them.  Any advice on what type and size to get, any brands to stay away from.  

I am looking more towards simple disposable units, household or light industrial units.

Edited to add: We can purchase Kidde extinguishers locally, will they do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
ABC is usually the best around the house because households typically have a wide variety of combustibles and A or C fires are going to be the most common. For a shed/garage/workshop where a bunch of flammable liquids may be around it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a BC in the area as well as an ABC. CO2 is nice but usually overkill around a house, they are very expensive compared to dry chemical extinguishers and in my experience have a lower success rate when used by someone who hasn't had specific training with one. Size wise I would look at 10lbs for outdoor areas, maybe a 20 for a shop with high fire risk. Indoors I like 5lbs, the little 2.5lb units just go way too fast when someone is in a panic trying to use one which is typical in most indoor fires.

If you go with Kidde try to find their professional line or at least their better residential stuff with a metal head on it. The cheap ones with plastic heads are worthless in my opinion. I would personally recommend Ansul or Amerex, they are going to be more expensive but they are much higher quality units which can be serviced and refilled easily. I've used most different brands at the FD and I used to service/inspect extinguishers and those two are what I stick to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have  Costco business center near you or maybe online purchase they are relatively cheap, a "2A10BC" rated extinguisher should be good, if that cannot put out the fire, let people on the big red fire engine do it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are like most of the farmer types in my family, I'd suggest a "water can" that you can refill yourself for ADDITIONAL duty in the main shop/barn.

That way when the angle grinder ignites the pile of sawdust in the corner on fire or welding splatter sets a shop towel ablaze you can put it out without covering everything you own in corrosive dust
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are like most of the farmer types in my family, I'd suggest a "water can" that you can refill yourself for ADDITIONAL duty in the main shop/barn.

That way when the angle grinder ignites the pile of sawdust in the corner on fire or welding splatter sets a shop towel ablaze you can put it out without covering everything you own in corrosive dust
View Quote

I'll second this

While ABC extinguishers are great all around extinguishers if that's all you're going to have, I hate using them and avoid doing so at work when possible because of what FFMedic mentioned, they make a mess.

See if you can find a water can (2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguisher) you can fill it and pressurize it yourself for little stuff, add a little Dawn to make it even better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]

No expertise here, but these are the ones I bought and installed all around my house/garage, $34.99 at Costco.

I changed homeowner's insurance company a few months after I installed these and the insurance company inspector/appraiser was quite impressed and commented on them.

3-A:40-B:C Heavy Duty Rechargeable Fire Extinguisher

The 3-A:40-B:C Heavy Duty Rechargeable Fire Extinguisher fights paper; wood; fabric; electrical; and flammable liquid fires. Its heavy duty metal head is designed to exceed demanding needs and can be recharged by a certified professional if used. Includes heavy duty wall mounting hook to keep unit secure. 12-year limited warranty. Meets UL standards.

First Alert (interestingly marked as Ansul Fire Protection for mfr of contents)

Model: FE3A40GR  

Warranty Claim:  12-year limited warranty  

UL rated type 3-A:40-B:C

-  Rechargeable

-  Commercial-grade metal valve and trigger

-  Monoammonium Phosphate extinguishing agent

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top