Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2016 12:07:39 AM EDT
Our chief is currently adamantly opposed to two man units in the current climate believing it makes two targets and will slow response time.

Line supervisors allow two man units if we have enough to get minimum cars on the street.  

I love two man units.   Our shift LT is asking for data, studies, research, on the benefits of two man units.    If you guys have anything can you point me in the right direction to find some?   I'm technotarded so my Google fu blows.  My agency is high crime, high call load in an urban, poor, and downtrodden setting

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not LEO but it seems a no-brainer to me. Two persons in a car means 2x the attention given to road, to suspects... Even as a security officer, I've been trained that the best way to conduct a suspicious interview is to have a backup!
I suspect your chief is toeing the line drawn by City Hall's budgets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
1/2 the speeding tickets???

Really, officer safety, it's a no brainer.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You can push the savings on fuel if the real reason (officer safety) isn't enough. I'm in somewhat the same boat, no two man units on patrol, but all of our specialized proactive units ride double, at least. Some of them will ride three to a car if they are issued tahoes
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Battle buddies how do they work? Couldn't take a crap down range with out someone watching your back. I see it no different in your current conflict.

Adam 12
Chips
Starkey and Hutch
Cagney and Lacey
End of Watch
Turner and Hooch

All teams of two

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
You can take turns sleeping.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Chief being a jerk? FILE A COMPLAINT
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have stats and stuff, but the greatest benefit is that 2 cops are guaranteed to arrive simultaneously.

I think it's superior if 2 cops arrive simultaneously in separate units, but that's rare unless one waits. Sometimes one doesn't want to wait, and sometimes it's good that they don't.

I'd guess, statistically, it boils down to # of experienced officers per patrol area, rather than which unit(s) they're in. That's just my take on it though. It does allow one to rest. lol Or if searching/patrolling, it's going to increase the search efficiency per unit. One can drive while the other is working the net and coordinating an intercept, etc. A second man in the passenger seat firing a long gun would probably be the most desirable thing in a rolling shootout (if your policy allows participation in such activities). lol

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
2013 Data:
- 62.7 percent of the officers who were assaulted were assigned to 1-officer vehicle patrols.
- 17.3 percent of the officers who were assaulted were assigned to 2-officer vehicle patrols.
View Quote

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013/officers-assaulted/assaults_topic_page_-2013

Historical officer ambush analysis by the IACP:
The vast majority (82%) of officers are alone at the time of the ambush.
View Quote

http://www.theiacp.org/Portals/0/documents/pdfs/Ambush_Project/IACP_Ambush_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I'd also add that two-officer units makes for safer use of in-vehicle equipment.  The passenger can use the MDT and radio so that the driver isn't distracted with those, which is particularly useful when running code or in pursuits.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea but it isn't viable for 99% of the departments in the US.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

His department already allows it if they have enough people.  A ghetto hellhole area will have more cops than a county with 10,000 people.

It will slow response time to BS calls (delayed reports, etc) but for crimes in progress, two people guaranteed to arrive together is a bonus.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It is for ours, we already send two officers to the same call 85% of the time so it wouldn't change response times.  The other 15% are handled by the desk officer.   We usually handle 15-25 calls per night per officer, including proactive/observed CFSs.   2nd trick and day trick handle more.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2013 Data:

http://www.theiacp.org/Portals/0/documents/pdfs/Ambush_Project/IACP_Ambush_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I'd also add that two-officer units makes for safer use of in-vehicle equipment.  The passenger can use the MDT and radio so that the driver isn't distracted with those, which is particularly useful when running code or in pursuits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
2013 Data:
- 62.7 percent of the officers who were assaulted were assigned to 1-officer vehicle patrols.
- 17.3 percent of the officers who were assaulted were assigned to 2-officer vehicle patrols.

The vast majority (82%) of officers are alone at the time of the ambush.

thank you
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it's a super bad idea.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer working alone. I did it on mids for many years, survived several shoot incidents, and would do so again. It all depends on who you are working with because every Dept. has people who really should have become cooks or tailors or something. Every now and again they'd give me a young kid to show some things too, I didnt mind as long as he wasnt an A-hole but I never wanted to be a training officer. In fact very few good cops ever want to be a training officer.

That was the agreement. My partner and I would work mids as long as we could work cars alone. We'd make their pinches just leave us alone.

Boy 8 hours is a whole lot of minutes when you have the wrong guy sitting next to you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every now and again they'd give me a young kid to show some things too, I didnt mind as long as he wasnt an A-hole but I never wanted to be a training officer. In fact very few good cops ever want to be a training officer.
View Quote

It was the same with us, they had to force guys to be training officers. The "training officers" when I left had only graduated the academy 6 months ahead of the guys they were "training".
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was the same with us, they had to force guys to be training officers. The "training officers" when I left had only graduated the academy 6 months ahead of the guys they were "training".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every now and again they'd give me a young kid to show some things too, I didnt mind as long as he wasnt an A-hole but I never wanted to be a training officer. In fact very few good cops ever want to be a training officer.

Well its a joke. Ive never seen a recruit "failed" even tho many werent worth a damn and never will be. The city doesnt want the law suites or the allegations of sexism or racism even if the kid is as useless as tits on a bull.

So pretty much all your doing is wiping their ass's for about 6 mos. Many of them go from there to some inside spot where they are never heard from again. Or just become another lump in a uniform.

They even took away the satisfaction of getting a good aggressive kid who really wants to do well and will work to improve. This gig has turned into one where "work" often is what gets you jammed. The ones you never see all night are usually also the ones who never catch time on a beef. Nothing makes sense anymore but I'm thankful I'm old enough to remember good years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well its a joke. Ive never seen a recruit "failed" even tho many werent worth a damn and never will be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well its a joke. Ive never seen a recruit "failed" even tho many werent worth a damn and never will be.

They didn't even have a process in place for our guys to fail someone even if they wanted to. Not to mnetion that they had 1-2 guys "training" 40+ rookies.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm baffled because when gas prices were high we were forced to double up
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, and ours were academy instructors for the next class even though they weren't off probation just to get out of NYC and back upstate.   Total clown shoes.

I used to laugh, we had guys with more academy time teaching one or two academies than they had working on the road.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1/2 the speeding tickets???

Really, officer safety, it's a no brainer.

Txl
View Quote

1/2 the productivity, visibility, and they seem to work less.

Not every call needs 2 cops. It is a big waste, except very high crime areas and unique situations. When our guys double up, it is for a tactic they enjoy. It is a real pain to try and pair everyone up by personality and productivity. When they are forced to double up, it is a constant whining and complaining session.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think it should be mandated to have 2 man units. As stated before some officers simply prefer to police by themselves. I count myself in that group. Now, as a supervisor, if we have the manpower and some guys prefer to ride together I will let them. If its two guys that are known to fuck off then the answer is no. Just depends on your area and the manpower you have. I think it should be a supervisory level decision.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm not LEO but it seems a no-brainer to me. Two persons in a car means 2x the attention given to road, to suspects... Even as a security officer, I've been trained that the best way to conduct a suspicious interview is to have a backup!

I suspect your chief is toeing the line drawn by City Hall's budgets.
View Quote

Yup.  Security here also.  Everything is done in 2 man teams.  Hospitals are a gathering point for problem children, drugs and general ass-hattery.  Our assaults on staff have been going through the roof this year and the surrounding neighborhood is having a spike in property crime.  Every contact we make is with 2 people.  Many hands make light work and all that.

Cheif isnt doing you any favors.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I like riding alone and I like doubling up. There's only a few guys I will double up with but when we do we get work done and stay active. Our policy is on certain runs we have to meet up before going in anyways, the 2 officer units make that easier and safer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Our chief is currently adamantly opposed to two man units in the current climate believing it makes two targets and will slow response time.

Line supervisors allow two man units if we have enough to get minimum cars on the street.  

I love two man units.   Our shift LT is asking for data, studies, research, on the benefits of two man units.    If you guys have anything can you point me in the right direction to find some?   I'm technotarded so my Google fu blows.  My agency is high crime, high call load in an urban, poor, and downtrodden setting

View Quote

I am kind of surprised that your chief doesn't want two man units.
The department I worked at went with optional two man units to save on gas, when it was around $3 ot 4 a gallon a couple of years ago. Two is always safer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Your chief is a moron.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Other option... Put in for K9, my fur missile is the best partner that's ever ridden double with me by a far stretch
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Other option... Put in for K9, my fur missile is the best partner that's ever ridden double with me by a far stretch
View Quote

Our newest dog was mine but I had to go back to 2nd trick so I declined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top