Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 8:41:36 AM EDT
I am in my 25th year as a cop. Sprained my arm on Sunday arresting a knucklehead. Two years ago I got sucker punched and a fractured cheek bone.
I pulled my papers and decided to stay a few more years. I was promised a promotion, and now they seem to be back peddling.

I am just fucking fed up with people.  I want to care, I just don't. Almost 50 years old, and just want live a life free of other people's problems.
I am not mad at the two assholes that injured me, there lives are already fucked. Maybe as a young man I would hold a grudge, but I feel that is wasted energy.

I volunteer for overtime doing field work. I enjoy it. I love being a cop.  Paper pushing is what I do Now, but I love being a street cop.
But I think this is a job for a much younger guy or gal.

Just ranting, but I am tired of the bullshit with the cop hate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for serving your community. Many anti cop sentiments come from people who live insulated lives, and will never appreciate you or what you do. Look this up, even if you're not a Christian. Romans 12:21

As a Pastor, I catch it from all sides... atheists who hate (not all), mistrust due to scandals (Jim Baker, Jimmy Swagger etc...), and even at times past my own congregation members who didn't get their way or the like. The list continues, but I won't bore you...lol  

I know who I am, I know what I am, I know my motivations and methods come from a pure heart as much as possible.... That said

Know who you are,  know what you are, move forward.... and, forget what media and social media say    HATERS GOING TO HATE

How in the world my local officers do what they do for the little $ they make is beyond me. Yet, most of them act truly professional.

Hang in there! !!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks pastor. I am a Christian.  

Jesus is my patrol partner.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
At first I thought "wow, 25 years on and still pushing a cruiser?"  Then I saw you say it was OT field work.  Either way, much respect for that time on and still willing to get your hands dirty.  What size is your department?  Any hope for the promotion they mentioned?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Promotion maybe. Money is the issue. I have only been pushing paper since 9/15. Mostly a field supervisor for the last 14 years.
About 800 cops.

Part of me loves responding to hot jobs, but the body is not what is use to be. Arthritis, poor vision in one eye, and lower back pains.
I lost big in my divorce, so I am trying to make up for the loss by working OT.

Police work is in my blood. I go out full gear. Gun belt, extra cuffs, a back up gun and of course my vest.
If there are extra cops, I take a rookie with me for a partner.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am in my 25th year as a cop. Sprained my arm on Sunday arresting a knucklehead. Two years ago I got sucker punched and a fractured cheek bone.
I pulled my papers and decided to stay a few more years. I was promised a promotion, and now they seem to be back peddling.

I am just fucking fed up with people.  I want to care, I just don't. Almost 50 years old, and just want live a life free of other people's problems.
I am not mad at the two assholes that injured me, there lives are already fucked. Maybe as a young man I would hold a grudge, but I feel that is wasted energy.

I volunteer for overtime doing field work. I enjoy it. I love being a cop.  Paper pushing is what I do Now, but I love being a street cop.

View Quote

I have over 20 years in.  I have had a few of my guys retire this year, one's last day was today (I gave him tomorrow to turn in his gear and clear personnel/HR).  I'll tell you what I told him in front of the shift.  He retired at a time of his choosing.  He wasn't forced to retire by something that happened at work.  He wasn't forced to retire by family issues.  He wasn't forced to retire by medical issues.  He chose a date and he stuck to it.  He's retiring after meeting more than the minimum number of years to qualify for retirement.  He made it all those years and chose the time he wanted to retire.  He made it through those years with what the job and his personal life threw at him, that's a lot of stuff he didn't have total control over.  That's an accomplishment that I hope to make.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you waiting for something?  Retire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
There's nothing out here you're gonna like.

Fuck it. This too shall pass.

Ask military people about retiring. Most don't like the civilian world. If you have to go, go with your boots and badge on.

You think pushing paper is bad? Try sitting on your fucking hands when you hear sirens go by once or twice.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Not an older guy but I still like a fight. Anytime I think about finding a desk or plainclothes spot I have to remember what I'd be giving up.

Quoted:
There's nothing out here you're gonna like.

Fuck it. This too shall pass.

Ask military people about retiring. Most don't like the civilian world. If you have to go, go with your boots and badge on.

You think pushing paper is bad? Try sitting on your fucking hands when you hear sirens go by once or twice.

View Quote

Met a guy the other day who spent 30 years in the army and retired... then couldn't handle just sitting around at home so he became a reserve LEO. Puts on a uniform every day. Goes get 10-8 and rolls around to calls, backs up officers, etc.  Doesn't need money. Just likes the structure/uniform/to have purpose.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have my 20 in and I'm looking for my next career.

This job isn't as fun as it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I punched out at just over 50 with over 27 years in.  I was fed up with the PC nonsense, working holidays, general stuff.  That was over 3 years ago and I don't regret it one bit. Remember, the offenders generally stay around the same age while you only get older. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you waiting for something?  Retire.
View Quote

A friend I went thru the academy asked me this very question. It was like a light bulb went off, I had no reason for staying.

If he had not stopped by I would probably still be going to Compstat meetings.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take a rookie with me for a partner.
View Quote

THIS is an invaluable contribution to your department.

God Bless You!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your in the same boat as most of us, I've got 28 on. Currently in the detective bureau but since my tour is about over i'm limited on what assignments they give me. I've found a retirement job I love and my out date is May 17-2017. Just a hint that was given to me several years ago, go out at the top of your game and everyone wants you, wait and you'll age like milk with the same result. I had to sit down and do some real soul searching when I decided to do this. I love the job from patrol through all of the assignments I've had over the years. But it's that time, I don't heal like I used to and I find recovering from an 18 hour shift takes a while now. Will I miss it? Yes but I've got some great war stories to tell and a wall full of commendations to point to.

In any case good luck with your decision, hit me up sometime if your in the neighborhood and I'll buy 'ya a beer!

Jim
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the kind words  
Sticking around a few more years
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Max out your retirement and go when you hit that number.
My last jobs were Homicide, Narcotics (uniform and UC) then Motors. Had a wreck, broke my arm, had shoulder surgery. Chief gave me a job working out of his office as Inspector General of the Dept.. Did that for two years then went back to Motors. Could not stand the thought of retiring at a desk. Two more wrecks, one concussion and a broken hand later, I got back on the Motor for my last few months and pulled the pin when I hit 35 years. Miss the guys, riding every day, and the excitement, but not the job. Too much of an Old Timer/Dinosaur for the job nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im 58yo in my 33'rd year. Its all coming to an end this year and I cant wait. I'm only sticking around for the OT and the fact I have a pretty easy job now but I was working a car into my '50's.

This Dept. has turned to shit and the corruption, cheating, and Politics regarding promotions and discipline is just beyond belief. Ive never seen it this bad. I used to love the adrenaline of the street but now try and avoid using any force whatsoever cause I dont want to carry a beef into retirement, which would complicate things. Besides with the current Political currents I'll probably be rail roaded anyways. The only thing I'm proud of is I always treated brother and sister POs like family, even when they probably didnt deserve it. I live by codes and thats one of them

Boy morale is low and leadership is non-existant. They are all only worried about their own scams. Best wishes to all and try not to take out the frustration on each other or your family.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
19 years here.  All in the field.   I won't miss it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top