Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:08:09 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to buy my boots and pants for the "clinical" section of my EMT course and I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.

I'm not afraid of spending enough money to get something decent but I don't really have any contacts in the FF/EMS fields to ask and it seems like everyone else in the course went for the cheapest stuff available.

Are their any brands to avoid or any features you would look for?

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
WHY        ....   once  you get a EMS   job      uniforms   are provided      

Quoted:
I'm getting ready to buy my boots and pants for the "clinical" section of my EMT course and I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.

I'm not afraid of spending enough money to get something decent but I don't really have any contacts in the FF/EMS fields to ask and it seems like everyone else in the course went for the cheapest stuff available.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shirts and pants, yes, boots are not at least from what I've heard.  

I still have to have them in 2 weeks and it's on me to buy them, if I get a uniform allowance or provided boots at my future job I'll just have 2 pairs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you working urban or rural areas, and are you doing clinicals with a FD or straight EMS outfit?

I always like Danner Acadias, but found that they are not the best for SAR applications (where I prefer mountaineering boots) and can be heavy and hot in strictly urban stuff if you're on a bus all day.  If you're doing fire, something you can get in and out of faster for turnouts is nice.  

I still go back to my Danners, but am sure there are better, lighter options out there with better support.  I like boots that feel like running shoes but that I can kick a wall with.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you working urban or rural areas, and are you doing clinicals with a FD or straight EMS outfit?

I always like Danner Acadias, but found that they are not the best for SAR applications (where I prefer mountaineering boots) and can be heavy and hot in strictly urban stuff if you're on a bus all day.  If you're doing fire, something you can get in and out of faster for turnouts is nice.  

I still go back to my Danners, but am sure there are better, lighter options out there with better support.  I like boots that feel like running shoes but that I can kick a wall with.
View Quote

Straight EMS, but I'm going through the application process with a local FD, which covers a mix of urban and rural.  

So the side zipper is worth it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never done a zipper, so can't recommend it, but I also don't know what I'm missing.  

I like lace ups.  If you go the Acadia route, get the non-insulated ones and they stay pretty cool. I have both, and the Thinsulate ones are the heavy/hot ones, but good for winter.  Take some green Superfeet insoles in when you fit the boots and buy a size that will fit with them.  That combo gets you the running shoe comfort while staying cool.  

If you get into High Angle or SAR stuff down the road, then get into something like the La Sportiva Trango, but, otherwise, don't go ape shit with heavy duty backcountry boots that will be pounding pavement all day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've never done a zipper, so can't recommend it, but I also don't know what I'm missing.  

I like lace ups.  If you go the Acadia route, get the non-insulated ones and they stay pretty cool. I have both, and the Thinsulate ones are the heavy/hot ones, but good for winter.  Take some green Superfeet insoles in when you fit the boots and buy a size that will fit with them.  That combo gets you the running shoe comfort while staying cool.  

If you get into High Angle or SAR stuff down the road, then get into something like the La Sportiva Trango, but, otherwise, don't go ape shit with heavy duty backcountry boots that will be pounding pavement all day.
View Quote

Thanks for your input, living in NC I doubt I'd ever have use for the insulated boots.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
When I started EMT, I got a pair of 5.11 ATAC storms.  That was September 2014.  I am still wearing them now and finish up medic school in 4 weeks.  They are just about done for, but I also wear them as a police reserve and have thousands of hours in them.  I wear them almost every single day.  Side zips are fantastic and I will never go back to regular boots.  I am looking at getting a new pair of boots soon, not sure what I will go with, probably 5.11 again because they are cheap and held up.  No one in medic school has money, and has even less just graduating it.

I went through two pairs of pants made by a local uniform store that everyone in my state uses.  Because I was going on beyond EMT, I went to the EMS pants over the Dickies because of our uniform policy for school.  I haven't tried any pants other than the store brand (which first pair were great, second paid had the worst velcro ever), but a few of my classmates have 5.11 EMS pants and love them.  Just depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend.

We were also required to carry shears and a stethoscope with us (both in lab and in clinicals), but don't spend money on fancy shears.  In the 200 calls I have had in the last year, I have used my shears 3 times and they are the cheapo ones from the uniform store.  I know you didn't ask that but save the raptors for later
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessarily...

I'd say preferably go to a local uniform store and find something that fits you comfortably, no different than any other pair of pants or shoes.  They might also have a line on what the department you're applying for is wearing, if you get hired, then you have an extra pair of pants.

Like another poster, I've also got a pair of 5.11 with side zippers, I've had them a few years now and so far they've held up really well.  Side zippers may not be worth it if you're only going to be working 8-12 hour shifts and sitting in the truck the whole time, but if you're working 24s out of a station they're well worth any extra slight cost.  Before the 5.11s I had a pair of Magnum Hi-Techs (?) that got a bad reputation for falling apart after a few months, I wore mine for years and they held up great, so YMMV.

If there's no uniform store in your area, you can check out Galls, they're a little pricey, but they've got a big selection.

If you don't want to splurge too much, then as others have suggested, a pair of Dickies or just plain navy blue BDU pants
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Redback boots.

5.11 taclite ems pants.

Best boots I've found in 10 years of fire/ems for around the station and general, non fire or non tech rescue calls.

I like the taclite pants, they fit me well and don't have stupid pockets on them. Don't get anything with expanding pockets. They suck and you don't need to stuff them full of junk anyway.

Whatever pants you go with, make sure they have bloodborne pathogen barrier built in. It only lasts for a while before it washes out, but it will get you through your clinicals.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the responses, it's helpful considering I don't know anybody in either the FF or EMS fields.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Amazon>vertx lightweight tac pants. Ripstop, fluid barrier, water resistant, light, durable. $40 shipped.

Amazon>underarmor valsetz side sip> $100 lightweight. Last you about 18-24 months.

Amazon> super feet > green. Put in boots.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I wear Elbeco pants, they tend to stay fairly water proof for a long time so shit runs off rather than soaking it.

I have had Danner, Bates, Throrgood and Red Wing boots. They all lasted about the same time but the Bates were the most comfy to me.

If you are not having to kick off your boots to switch to fire gear, I say avoid the zipper.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Definitely go side zip if you're planning going the fire route, some guys have the lace in zippers too but they're not as easy to adjust the tightness from what I understand.

I have Bates that are nice an light, needed insoles to make them comfortable though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Vertx original tactical pants in navy- 1) do NOT look "tactical", 2) leg pockets are invisible to the observer but very convenient for extras such as phone, knife- stuff you don't want in the open, and 3) are 100% cotton so you're good to go fire side, yet they stand up much neater than "normal" cotton.

Boots: another vote for uninsulated Acadias, laced in zipper.  I never even noticed the composite to feature after I swore I would hate it due to all my experience with normal Danner hiking boots.  I personally can't stand an unprofessional appearance, and the side zip-5.11-athletic shoe that looks like a boot, look the epitome of unprofessional IMHO.  My $0.02.  OTOH I work with guys whose harder boots have never met a can of polish.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I liked the Propper Tactical pants because they are 65% poly so stains don't stick to them very easily and they don't get rumpled. Also they were only $25.

If you have money to spend, those vertx that derek and tex mentioned look really nice.

Any black boots that are comfortable in your price range. This isn't combat or hiking.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Redbacks or warrenton's for boots. Zippers are worth every cent.

Pants: if there aren't requirements go to a uniform store and try stuff on. 5.11 has good stuff. My pants are supplied but aren't all that comfy. I wear them anyway, mainly due to coverage in case anything ever happens.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#20]
In 21 years working professionally in EMS and Fire, these are the best pants I've ever tried.

Tru-Spec MEN'S 24-7 SERIES® TACTICAL PANTS,     Style #1062. http://www.truspec.com/24-7-series/pants/mens-24-7-series-tactical-pants/

Get the 65/35 Polyester/Cotton Rip-Stop, the 100% cotton sucks ass in the summer.  My employer provided pants to us, but these are so much better, I still buy them out of my pocket.
Quoted:
View Quote
Not always.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they don't give you pants just  buy dickies and spend the money on Redbacks whether they are the slip on or zip ups. You'll thank me later. I wear a 9US and ware an 8AU in Redbacks, I also take out their insoles and put a flat gel insole in and then put the original insoles back in. They seem to be "tall" inside. All the guys I work with wear them despite being "illegal" on the job as they aren't approved. I could give two fuck's i have 2 herniated disks in my back and I can't make it through a 24 hour shift in the issued boot's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Bates 8" Tactical Sport composite toe side zip.  I've been in this line of work since 1989, and these are the most comfortable work boots I've worn.  Lightweight, fit like an athletic shoe and worth every penny.  Side zip is important for getting into turnout gear quick as well as getting dressed quickly at night if you are on a 24 hour shift.  You will spend lots of time in them so get something comfortable to you, no matter the price.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not EMS, but my favorite duty boot is the Danner Striker Leather Side-Zip

http://www.danner.com/product/law-enforcement/striker-torrent-side-zip-8-black-leather.html

I have worn a lot of boots, and these are by far my favorite.  They hold up 100x better than the Bates or 5.11 offerings if you keep the leather dressed properly, and they are super comfortable

My advice is don't cheap out on your footwear, its worth the extra dime to get a good pair
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Vertx original tactical pants in navy- 1) do NOT look "tactical", 2) leg pockets are invisible to the observer but very convenient for extras such as phone, knife- stuff you don't want in the open, and 3) are 100% cotton so you're good to go fire side, yet they stand up much neater than "normal" cotton.

Boots: another vote for uninsulated Acadias, laced in zipper.  I never even noticed the composite to feature after I swore I would hate it due to all my experience with normal Danner hiking boots.  I personally can't stand an unprofessional appearance, and the side zip-5.11-athletic shoe that looks like a boot, look the epitome of unprofessional IMHO.  My $0.02.  OTOH I work with guys whose harder boots have never met a can of polish.
View Quote

+ 1 to all this (and cheap shears).

Great first post.  Welcome!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:28:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Keen boots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top