Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2016 2:21:54 PM EDT
Got 22+ years in. Seems like every day someone else retires from time or disability. I have had three coworkers in the agencies I work with retire In the last two days. Went to the academy with one. Worked several "career cases" with another, and the third was a guy that has been a friend since high school.  

Saw a picture of my work group from my first year of employment a week or so ago. Probably 25 people in that picture--there are TWO people including myself that still work here.

Dont get me wrong I'm looking forward to my "golden years" on the job and the young guys are my friends and they do a great job but this is kind of depressing.  Woke up last night at 3 AM for some reason and couldn't go back to sleep thinking about it.

In two more years I'll be THE "old guy" in my work group.

Anybody else gone through this?

Almost all the guys that taught me and I looked up to are gone. This is depressing.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost in the same boat as you, I'm #4 at my department in terms of age.  I just think about how great it is to still be able to do everything.

Don't be depressed about it, think of it as a badge of honor for being able to stick around so long.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If the young guys like you that means they respect you and probably look up to you.

If it were really bad, everyone would ignore you because you would be that dinosaur stealing oxygen.

22+ doesn't seem that old. Old is the guys who are still hanging on at 30+ years and then when they finally get forced out die 2 yrs later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the young guys like you that means they respect you and probably look up to you.

If it were really bad, everyone would ignore you because you would be that dinosaur stealing oxygen.

22+ doesn't seem that old. Old is the guys who are still hanging on at 30+ years and then when they finally get forced out die 2 yrs later.
View Quote

Had that happen to more than a few.  Knew one guy who worked to the last hour of the last of the last month he could.  He was maxed out on retirement.  Dropped dead almost 2 years to the day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got 22+ years in. Seems like every day someone else retires from time or disability. I have had three coworkers in the agencies I work with retire In the last two days. Went to the academy with one. Worked several "career cases" with another, and the third was a guy that has been a friend since high school.  

Saw a picture of my work group from my first year of employment a week or so ago. Probably 25 people in that picture--there are TWO people including myself that still work here.

Dont get me wrong I'm looking forward to my "golden years" on the job and the young guys are my friends and they do a great job but this is kind of depressing.  Woke up last night at 3 AM for some reason and couldn't go back to sleep thinking about it.

Almost all the guys that taught me and I looked up to are gone. This is depressing.

View Quote

Guess who 'that' guy is now? Its time to step your game up and be an inspiration to the younger guys.

Do you want to be the guy the younger one's look at and say 22 years into my career I want to be like him! Or 22 years into my career I hope I'm not like him!

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember 20+ years ago talking to the guys that had 10-15 years in at that time and them saying to us youngsters that "Some day this will be all yours." Never seemed like it would happen but crap time sure friggin flies. 21 years in, could have retired last year but chose to enter the DROP so I'll be gone in 4 more years at the most. Blink and it will be done.

This current generation in LE is sooooo fucking different that it is depressing to Supervise them despite trying to be a mentor and leader with all my heart.

J-
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
28  years in the agency
I'm the old guy
My academy peers have all pretty much retired.
There are still a couple of guys working  in the jail who predate me with the agency, but even they are slowly pulling up stakes
I would have retired this year; it was always in my plans
I didn't plan on divorce
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]
24 years in this Oct..Retirement date: 07/2019
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I loved being the "old guy", almost everything at work was based on seniority. Only thing that sucked was I had a guy with 31 years on in my squad.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I never thought of myself as the "old guy" since I only have ten years in with my department.  However I was looking at our last group picture from 2011 and realized that 25 of the 60 guys in the photo have either quit, retired, or got fired.  Old guy by default I guess?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 15 years in and sometimes feel that way even though there are plenty of people with more time in then me..... There are some people 25+ years in! They won't leave because they retired and came back drawing retirement on top of their salary.... Not good fo us wanting promotions because they will clog up the Lt, Capt, Maj, Dep Chief spots for AGES.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 15 years in and sometimes feel that way even though there are plenty of people with more time in then me..... There are some people 25+ years in! They won't leave because they retired and came back drawing retirement on top of their salary.... Not good fo us wanting promotions because they will clog up the Lt, Capt, Maj, Dep Chief spots for AGES.
View Quote

They allowed a few people to do that here; it can only be done with the approval of the CLEO
After the first few the CLEO ruled that he wasn't going to allow anyone else to do it

The rule exists on paper  ( I think ) so that someone with a particular hard-to-replace skillset can be brought back on board from retirement  if needed. Trouble was, the guys who were retiring and coming back were just average guys with average skillsets, guys who could have been replaced by slightly younger guys at a time when the budget was really in a crunch. The county saves on retirement system costs because the persons already retired, but the salary cap for retired guys who came back meant that they could only work a few months out of the year before they'd hit their maximum allowed salary
Not good in a career field where they need guys available year-round pulling their weight if they're going to hold down a personnel line number.

So everyone was told the practice was ending. Had some guys who had planned on doing that a bit ticked off.
The other down side of doing that is that once you come back as a retiree, you serve at the pleasure of the CLEO. You have no civil service protection.
So he told these folks their services were no longer needed and let them go and replaced the ones he let go with new people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah we have several like that. every year its an excuse why they don't leave. I figured one guy up and he is working for something like $3.50 an hour when you consider what he would be drawing in retirement.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember 20+ years ago talking to the guys that had 10-15 years in at that time and them saying to us youngsters that "Some day this will be all yours." Never seemed like it would happen but crap time sure friggin flies. 21 years in, could have retired last year but chose to enter the DROP so I'll be gone in 4 more years at the most. Blink and it will be done.

This current generation in LE is sooooo fucking different that it is depressing to Supervise them despite trying to be a mentor and leader with all my heart.

J-
View Quote

I have to say my squad is a pretty good group of guys compared to some that my other friends supervise. being generation Y they do have some odd ideas at times though!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

several years ago i read an letter to the editor in american police beat (i think it was) where an officer was saying they had a guy in their agency that was in his 70's who had like 45 years in (they had a 20 or 25 year retirement) and he was at upper management level. He refused to retire and was literally paying the agency to work there. there had been other people at the agency that had worked their ENTIRE careers at the agency with the guy in that slot. it was to the point that people really resented him because he had kept a lot of people from getting the chance to promote above him in that particular part of the agency. he had the "no one can do this but me" attitude.

not me. when I'm able I'm gone outside of some unforseen circumstance. Ive got a life to live. Ive enjoyed serving the last 20+ years but this doesn't define who I am as a person.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#15]
How is retirement on your radar with only 22 yrs in? I left (FD) after 31 yrs and loved just about every minute of it. It is funny the transition from rabble rouser to supervisor though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How is retirement on your radar with only 22 yrs in? I left (FD) after 31 yrs and loved just about every minute of it. It is funny the transition from rabble rouser to supervisor though.
View Quote

I tend to plan well ahead of deadlines.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea been in Le 38 yrs. Retired once started again 12 years ago. Hopefully I will retire in 3 more. Still in top 20% of PT. I will stop using "just for men" now, no reason to try and hid my age anymore
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I just went under 5 years to go until I can pop smoke. I am not staying a second longer than I have to.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I know exactly where you are  coming from and one better.   Guys that were in high school when I came in having  over 15 years in.  Guys that I mentored to come on.    Watching kids become men and go through.  Talk about feeling old.  People I trained now having 16 years in.  Over 100 people in the last place I worked and now knowing 9 of them after 4 years.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How is retirement on your radar with only 22 yrs in?
View Quote

That's two years longer than when I would have been eligible.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#21]
County I used to live in has a Deputy on the road who is 78 years old, still out doing patrol.

IIRC, has over ~40 years in LE, and is his second department after retiring from a another Sheriff's Office as a Sgt.

He is also a Chief of a small village PD.

Now running for Sheriff as well.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
County I used to live in has a Deputy on the road who is 78 years old, still out doing patrol.

IIRC, has over ~40 years in LE, and is his second department after retiring from a another Sheriff's Office as a Sgt.

View Quote

Wow
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too old for the road IMHO, as I've worked with several in their 70s. I'm the oldest in the field at my agency, and don't really worry about it, because I can do more work than someone half my age. And do it right, and actually write reports that aren't retarded.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have to say my squad is a pretty good group of guys compared to some that my other friends supervise. being generation Y they do have some odd ideas at times though!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Yeah i'm lucky too. Most of my guys were military before getting into LE so they are not whinners etc. Some of our other people that came right out of school or the academy are pathetic.

We had one girl actually cry when she found out that she had to work New Years Eve instead of being able to go out with her friends. It was her regular scheduled day to work too, she just assumed since it was a holiday she got it off. She didn't last to long here or in LE after that.

J-
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is retirement on your radar with only 22 yrs in?

thanks to our great govenor..it is now mandatory 30 yrs..
all my private sector fuckwit aquaintances were happy .." yay, now you will have to work as long as me to retire"..until I brought up the realization that  they will have 60 year old ff responding to "save" them...60 y.o. police trying to chase/catch/fight criminals..weee   you showed us there ..didn't you..non thinking fucksticks
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah i'm lucky too. Most of my guys were military before getting into LE so they are not whinners etc. Some of our other people that came right out of school or the academy are pathetic.

We had one girl actually cry when she found out that she had to work New Years Eve instead of being able to go out with her friends. It was her regular scheduled day to work too, she just assumed since it was a holiday she got it off. She didn't last to long here or in LE after that.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

We have a girl who cries almost every firearms qualification
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

but  but,  females can do anything males can do...lol
No, they cannot...ever work a maximum custody jail floor where you are the only male?    : total staff: 9  (4 units, 1 housing/1 control, 1 movement to carry losers to medical, 1 sgt)  that is great fun...strip searches?   yes, you get to do them all..joy!, yell at inmates/ get them pissed off ..then call for help
females do not belong in certain jobs.:combat, jails, police..they are useless and usually get promoted because ..yay diversity
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

We had a girl quit on her first day out of the academy when she was told she'd be working every weekend.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

all my private sector fuckwit aquaintances were happy .." yay, now you will have to work as long as me to retire"..until I brought up the realization that  they will have 60 year old ff responding to "save" them...60 y.o. police trying to chase/catch/fight criminals..weee   you showed us there ..didn't you..non thinking fucksticks
View Quote

That's too long
Wonder if its a way for them to dodge having to provide a full pension for guys who moved there to have second LE careers after retiring at young ages from other states
if a guy came on in NYS at 21, retired there at 41 and went to your state and got into another agency, with anything less than the 30 you mention they could squeeze in a second pension
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's too long
Wonder if its a way for them to dodge having to provide a full pension for guys who moved there to have second LE careers after retiring at young ages from other states
if a guy came on in NYS at 21, retired there at 41 and went to your state and got into another agency, with anything less than the 30 you mention they could squeeze in a second pension
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's too long

I think it is so most people die before collecting any real amount of pension, sad thing is they bumped civilian pensions to 35 years
The  NY guys can still work , it used to be 10 years to be  vested now it is 6 or 8, they just have to make it to 52 y.o. to not get a penalty  (they get 3%/year, ie 10 years= 30% of your best 5 years averaged)
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yeah we have several like that. every year its an excuse why they don't leave. I figured one guy up and he is working for something like $3.50 an hour when you consider what he would be drawing in retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I never thought of it that way, I do that math I may not be going to work tonight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#32]
32 years on the department & I'm #5 on the seniority list, but #2 on Patrol; the other 3 are a LT, a Motor Officer & a guy that's worked in a specialized division ever since I've been here.

I work mids by choice, but no weekends; I'm off Thurs, Fri & Sat.  

I still work because I still enjoy it.  I don't work hard, but I work.  Another reason I'm staying at it;;;;;insurance. The day I retire I gotta pay the whole premium.  That'll be about $1500/month for my wife & me.  That's almost half of what I"ll be drawing in retirement.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#33]
My badge number was in the mid 2,000's.  The next academy will have badge numbers starting around 8,000.

Kiddies in diapers does not even begin to describe it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I got 19 years in and all of the guys ahead of me are leaving, some real good friends in that group. Another six and it will be my turn.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a Deputy make a snide comment about my badge the other day.  I was wearing my "old" one, the one I got the day I was first sworn.  One of the other young guys standing around busted a gut laughing.  The badge was older than the Deputy making the comment.  That put the rest of that days' work into a bit of context.  Especially when I ran the rest of them in to the ground.  Kids these days...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Wanna hear sad? I'm 47 and have been in LE for 25 years this year. 11 of that part time, 14 full time. When you count total time in LE, I'm #2 at my PD. Only the Chief has been in LE longer. Seniority wise, I'm #4. I've been in LE longer than one of our part timers has been alive and longer than a few more have been out of diapers. 11 years to go and counting. And you can bet your ass that the minute I'm eligible, I'm OUT!

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been here 28 years, out of 2000 my seniority number is 68. I pulled the safety ring off the ejection handle at 25, and it things work out right May of next year I'm out of here! I have no desire to stay the full 33, I have other things I want to do and working in this hell hole isn't one of them. And yes I'm also OCD "Old", "Cranky" and "Dangerous." But despite injuries and everything I've been through I can still out work most of these "Kids", I've never seen such a group of whining and complaining self important assholes in my life. I'm so glad I'm at the tail end of my tour, if not one of these days imma go all DI on these kids.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've been here 28 years, out of 2000 my seniority number is 68. I pulled the safety ring off the ejection handle at 25, and it things work out right May of next year I'm out of here! I have no desire to stay the full 33, I have other things I want to do and working in this hell hole isn't one of them. And yes I'm also OCD "Old", "Cranky" and "Dangerous." But despite injuries and everything I've been through I can still out work most of these "Kids", I've never seen such a group of whining and complaining self important assholes in my life. I'm so glad I'm at the tail end of my tour, if not one of these days imma go all DI on these kids.
View Quote

LOL
I'm commonly referred to as being on the verge of snapping and winding up in a clocktower.
Kind of gets irritating after a while; makes you feel like snapping to constantly hear that you're on the verge of it
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL
I'm commonly referred to as being on the verge of snapping and winding up in a clocktower.
Kind of gets irritating after a while; makes you feel like snapping to constantly hear that you're on the verge of it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

LMAO, just had that convo last night, after three Armed Robberies in a 15 minute time span.

J-

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LMAO, just had that convo last night, after three Armed Robberies in a 15 minute time span.

J-

View Quote

I work with a bunch of guys who are decent guys, don't get me wrong
But like so many guys in LE, for the most part they aren't "gun guys"
Oh, some have some decent collections they built up.
Some even own some of the guns I was forced to sell off in my divorce, so at least they have good homes.
But in terms of all the tacticool stuff that gets bandied about on sites like this one...most of my guys would simply roll their eyes.
The idea of getting a tax stamp and getting an SBR or a can appeals to a few but I doubt that any would actually DO it, because that costs money
Buying night vision or any of the stuff from site sponsors like TNVC, same  reaction.
Most wont even go to the range outside of qual weeks.
But there's all sorts of ATVs, boats, snowmobiles, shiny new trucks and money being dumped into houses wives girlfriends, vacations, retirement planning investments ( can't fault them on that one )
Guns take a distant back seat...like the back row on the special needs short bus-type back seat...to all of those things for most guys I work around.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I am sitting at 30 years right now in civilian law enforcement and 7 years prior as an MP with less than 12 days to hang it up.
I am 61 years old as of two months ago.
I figure I have been in uniform for more than half of my life, either US military or law enforcement.

I am the oldest guy in my department and still on patrol as the Senior Sergeant.
I am more than willing to be done with it, and find something else to do.

The youngest guys in the department were born after I started this gig by a few years.
The youngest one is 21 years old.
When I was 21 I was wearing green, and hoping I would make 22.

"Time does fly"
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bad news:  I have a photo in my hand right now with 11 of my old police buddies and myself at a Law Enforcement Bar-B-Q. Only two of us are still alive.  (Those in the photo: a Major, a Captain of Patrol, a Captain of Detectives and the rest Sergeants.)   The last two of us get together at my place every year or two to drink JD and talk about "The Good Old Days" and the guys who have gone under.

The good news:  When I left the department I married a beautiful blonde with a high paying government job, moved to the Rockies and did everything I had always wanted to do (big game hunting, snowmobile and Harley riding, camping, hiking, fishing, etc.)  When I got too old for the cold 30-below mountain winters we moved to South Texas and I am still partying, shooting and riding Harley's with my much younger wife who took early retirement.

Bottom line:  There is still life after police work!

NRA LIFE MEMBER!      HELP SAVE AMERICA: VOTE FOR TRUMP!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Well leave depression for the last stop on the track. Right now enjoy getting any vacation, watch, or any other seniority goodie you can get. Which aint much anymore.

The funny thing is the young ones think we were never young and they will never be old.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's too long
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's too long

The guys I knew that wanted second pensions did this:  Took a US Postal Service job, took a job with a Sheriff's Office as Bailiff, took a Chief of Police job at a smaller department, Went to work for the State Beverage Department (FL).  But the smartest one boughta 15 year old MOTEL 6.  Easy financing, pays itself off after 15 years, and then either sell it for big bucks or keep it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top