Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2016 9:53:08 PM EDT
Would love to hear what y'all think.  Would an opposing attorney attack me on the stand?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Urban myth.  Paper targets aren't a threat nor do they induce the physiological stressors that are usually present in an OIS.  

I'm sure Jerry Miculek's accuracy would be slightly affected if all his targets were shooting back at him.  Although that would be a pretty bad ass Liveleak video to watch.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Total BS
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, I don't buy that old excuse
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Total BS started by guys who cant shoot worth a damn.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  Urban myth.  Paper targets aren't a threat nor do they induce the physiological stressors that are usually present in an OIS.  

I'm sure Jerry Miculek's accuracy would be slightly affected if all his targets were shooting back at him.  Although that would be a pretty bad ass Liveleak video to watch.
View Quote

Are you suggesting at the notion of parachuting Jerry Miculek into the worst crime infested neighborhoods of Brazil with a couple of .45's and wearing more gold than Mr. T for the sake of a Liveleak video?

That is just like hunting over bait.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
We only record a pass/fail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Heard that for twenty plus years.

I used to throw one like how homies pour a little out... Lol

Now, I shoot the best I can. My best is affected by the current situation.

We ever get attacked by an alien army of b28's... Don't fear- I got this!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you suggesting at the notion of parachuting Jerry Miculek into the worst crime infested neighborhoods of Brazil with a couple of .45's and wearing more gold than Mr. T for the sake of a Liveleak video?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll contribute to that cause.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of agencies are moving to a 100% qualification score standard.  Shooting a perfect score will never cause a legal issue for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I always shoot between 99-100%

But everyone is either pass or fail.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This
Same

I get annoyed with "you should spread your shots out more.."

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
No.  Take qualification seriously and shoot to the max of your ability.  It is "qualification" not "training".
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol no
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would love to hear what y'all think.  Would an opposing attorney attack me on the stand?
View Quote

nope its pure urban myth horse shit. Ours is a pass/fail (non-number score) but you fail if you throw one round, so u have to shoot "perfect" to pass. Never had anyone with any issues on the stand.

J-
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Same

After about 15 or 20 rounds I'm just shooting through a fist size hole at center mass. We start at the 3 yard line and move out. At 25 yards, my 40 year old eyes see that big hole a lot better than the 10 ring.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How could anyone shoot at Jerry, he's such a lovable guy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

nope its pure urban myth horse shit. Ours is a pass/fail (non-number score) but you fail if you throw one round, so u have to shoot "perfect" to pass. Never had anyone with any issues on the stand.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

What does your course of fire look like? Target size?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mcoles/Firearms_Standard_249947_7.pdf

Its alittle different now, like we no longer shoot 12 rounds from 25yards, i think its 4 now. As long as you hit the mandated minimum in your dept qual, the dept qual can be tougher, as is ours.

Our rifle qual is much harder than the state mandated minimum.

here is the target that we use. The center mass ring is self explanitory and the combat ring is the one that goes up into the head and down to the pelvis. You are aloud i think 2 rounds outside of center mass but still in the combat ring and NONE outside of the combat ring. more than two out of the center mass is considered a fail.

http://www.letargets.com/content/tcq-95-a-mcoles-mi-approved-qualification-target-version-a.asp

Like I said our dept qaul is harder than the mandatory minimum (more rounds etc) that the state requires.

J-
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Standard state qualification targets. If post if I wasn't on a smartphone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Total BS started by guys who cant shoot worth a damn.
View Quote

Lol, yeah this.

Its apparently nationwide too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
After about 15 or 20 rounds I'm just shooting through a fist size hole at center mass. We start at the 3 yard line and move out. At 25 yards, my 40 year old eyes see that big hole a lot better than the 10 ring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This
Same

Same here lol.

Last quals were with my glock 41 with an RMR so it was a little easier for me.  I had two big holes to choose from.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Didn't catch what thread this was in. Not a cop, but have heard this about cops for years. Nobody has ever managed to cite a court case where this was an issue. In this day and age of Internet and readily available info on such things, it makes me more than skeptical.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I almost always shoot a perfect, unless I'm frigging around.  

During a simunitions exercise - I missed the shooter a ton of times.

Range does not take into account being shot at - or the adrenaline dump associated with a stressful situation.

Just remember - in court you're judged by the standard of a "reasonable officer" - not of a 20/20 vision Monday morning quarterback.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to work where qualification required 100%, but that was simply 100% of the 25 rounds anywhere on a target the size of an IPSC target from 10 yards away.  It pissed off the Captain when we called it the Ray Charles qualification course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top