Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2015 6:05:06 PM EDT
Get a call at a Foster Care facility on an 8 year old girl.

She's banging her head against the wall and screaming.

Her Foster mother dropped her off and quit because the little girl's behavior is costing the foster her job.

The reason the child is in DHR custody?

Her biological mother was prostituting at least one of the child's 11(not a typo) siblings out.

The child is exhibiting multiple signs of sexual abuse.

Fucked for life.

Fuck this job.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Her Foster mother dropped her off and quit because the little girl's behavior is costing the foster her job.

Her biological mother was prostituting at least one of the child's 11(not a typo) siblings out.

Fucked for life.

Fuck this job.

View Quote

BTDT, aint no fun.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Sorry. Didn't see what forum it was.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It really sucks when you see a kid that you know has no damn chance in life.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
All we can do, any of us, is give children our best when the opportunity presents itself.

Even if you can't save a life, you can still bring comfort.

As a lowly cabbie for eight years that was my philosophy in handling people in terrible situations.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a fucked up world man.  We see the worst of it sometimes.  All we do is bring some order to the chaos.  You can't save them all.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely shitty seeing things like that and, unfortunately, you can't save them all. However, she is still young enough that with some hardcore therapy she can have a slim chance at something resembling a normal life. I get to see this shit more than I'd like to, working on an inpatient (locked) child psych unit. Some actually are able to get back to functional if they have the proper support system and education.

Regardless, sorry to hear you had to deal with that OP

AJ
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a part of your community.  I do not know how you folks deal with this stuff, and stay sane yourselves.

Thanks for all you do!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how you handle it. Seeing the worst of humanity day after day
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fucked for life.

Fuck this job.
View Quote

EAP brother. After 14 years it's saved me more times than I can count.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Well at least she aint dead. Had a 6yo beat to death by her father on a Christmas once.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya know. I can't imagine how ya'll do the job knowing you have to deal with this kinda stuff on a regular basis. All I can say is may God give you peace at the end of your day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
MOST people that have children shouldn't be allowed to..
(there are far more people like that then normal ones)
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]
None of this is your fault or of your job
Evil exists in the world whether you are wearing tin or not.
Now that you've identified one form of evil incarnate, what are the plans to deal with it
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not most people that have children shouldn't be allowed to. It's most of the people we have to deal with that shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Remember, as officers we only deal with a small portion of the total population.

The people who obey the laws, take care of their kids, etc. we only see as we pass by them every day on our way to take care of the trouble makers and never give them a second thought.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not most people that have children shouldn't be allowed to. It's most of the people we have to deal with that shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Remember, as officers we only deal with a small portion of the total population.

The people who obey the laws, take care of their kids, etc. we only see as we pass by them every day on our way to take care of the trouble makers and never give them a second thought.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've thought for quite a while that the best way to break the multi-generational criminal activity that's the basis for our daily work load is to remove the next generation from the trailer trash and low lifes as soon as possible.
I've only seen it done in a few instances where the mother is clearly unfit
How to do it then becomes the thorny issue
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Buddy of mine at work arrested a guy last night.  Low 20s.  He's been a heroin junkie since he was 9 years old.  9 fucking years old.  How the fuck does that happen?  Unfortunately I know how it happens but it still blows my mind.  Guy looks like he's in his 40s, has a laundry list of meds he's prescribed (including methadone), and has a list of health problems that is longer than most 80 year olds.  He probably doesn't have many years left....and his life might be measured in months....who knows.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
When I see these things it gives me perspective on my life.

It's sad to see, especially when you can't help, but it at least reminds me how good I have it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
After 29 years of this, stories like this are why my kids complain I kiss and hug them too much.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BTDT, aint no fun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucked for life.

Fuck this job.

BTDT, aint no fun.  

same here, lasted little over a year...jail job  is 100% better
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine at work arrested a guy last night.  Low 20s.  He's been a heroin junkie since he was 9 years old.  9 fucking years old.  How the fuck does that happen?  Unfortunately I know how it happens but it still blows my mind.  Guy looks like he's in his 40s, has a laundry list of meds he's prescribed (including methadone), and has a list of health problems that is longer than most 80 year olds.  He probably doesn't have many years left....and his life might be measured in months....who knows.
View Quote

If you sub crack or meth that is most of my AO... and unfortunately a huge segment of them have children. All I can say if you have to learn to disconnect on some level. Do everything you can for the child, but don't let it eat you. You didn't do the damage and you aren't equipped to fix it, only facilitate the meeting for those who can
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I had two foster moms tell me their nine year old adopted son wasn't worth the $800 a month they get to take care of him.... while he was standing three feet away from us.

This was a week after I baker acted him for trying to jump out of the second story window of their apartment building; he wanted to kill himself because nobody loved him (his words, not mine) and all his brothers and sisters picked on him.

I gave him the PD's number and told him to call and ask for me whenever he was feeling sad or upset, which he did a few times, and I told him I'd stop by to check up on him a few times a week and see how he was doing. I used to take him colored pencils and candy as presents occasionally, really brightened the kid up and he was actually behaving MUCH better per the parents once he had someone who cared about him because he was a constant problem they'd call about 2-3 times a week, sometimes multiple times a day... it was working great until they gave him back to the state because they didn't want him.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a case last year where a mom admitted to smoking meth with several of her friends in the living room of a single-wide while her 4 year old daughter was in the room.  We would never have known if it weren't for 2 of the meth heads that were there making self-incriminating written statements saying they saw it.  It felt good to put the mom in jail, but her kids were born behind the 8 ball and will probably never escape it.

We do what we can, when we can.  PM me if you want to talk offline.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
She's banging her head against the wall and screaming
Fucked for life.
Fuck this job.
View Quote

Well, if you empathize enough for the children, then you can try to get into investigating crimes of this nature.  Of course, some crime work is not suited for everyone.
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fucked for life.

Fuck this job.
View Quote

Damn. And just going to an animal shelter and seeing the effects of people's selfishness there really sends me into a tail spin. I couldn't deal with the crap you've dealt with. I have a good friend who worked for the CPS for years/ I was ranting about how the kids should be removed from the homes, but she said you'd be amazed how many of those kids want to stay because it's the only life they've ever known. It's just friggin heart-breaking. We are becoming a nation of soulless zombies...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had two foster moms tell me their nine year old adopted son wasn't worth the $800 a month they get to take care of him.... while he was standing three feet away from us.

This was a week after I baker acted him for trying to jump out of the second story window of their apartment building; he wanted to kill himself because nobody loved him (his words, not mine) and all his brothers and sisters picked on him.

I gave him the PD's number and told him to call and ask for me whenever he was feeling sad or upset, which he did a few times, and I told him I'd stop by to check up on him a few times a week and see how he was doing. I used to take him colored pencils and candy as presents occasionally, really brightened the kid up and he was actually behaving MUCH better per the parents once he had someone who cared about him because he was a constant problem they'd call about 2-3 times a week, sometimes multiple times a day... it was working great until they gave him back to the state because they didn't want him.
View Quote

Dear God... we are so screwed as a nation...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look up the sex abuse poll in Team.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fucked for life.

Fuck this job.
View Quote

Want to see what another mother of the year looks like, look up Tami Jean Giles
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

After 29 years of this, stories like this are why my kids complain I kiss and hug them too much.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top