Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 6:18:55 PM EDT
Word from mutual friends is he is going to be ok, his backup was shot as well, he too should be ok. My buddy killed the scumbag - a gift to all of us.

So my question is this, how do I express my support beyond, "glad you're ok brother?" It can't be easy killing a man even if he is trying to kill you. You might act on instinct and training, but the time after, when you get to dwell on it. I can't imagine, and I hope I never know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
High fives, hookers & blow?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High fives, hookers & blow?
View Quote

So I should invite him to my bachelor party and give him sloppy seconds at the talent?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link to news story?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would pick him up a classy tribute shirt sold by the family of the guy he shot.

Like this one.

It will let him know just how big of shitbird the guy was.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Link to news story?
View Quote

I guess its ok to post i.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link to news story?

There's a thread in the LEO forum.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link to news story?

Well I wouldn't know
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Just be ready to support him when the my baby didn't do nuthin crowd comes after him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
No real advice other than just be there for him and let him know that you are there.

Let him know that whatever he's feeling about taking a life, even a thug is ok, and he can talk to you about it to get it out of his system.

Prayers for him and the other guy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask him if he wants to do normal stuff, like hang out, fishing, or what you would do together.  Don't pester him for details during that time.  If he wants to talk, and legally cleared let him.  Otherwise just do what you always have.  Getting back to normal and not talking about the incident is huge.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't ask him about it if he wants to tell you he will.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Let him know your there for them and what he did was needed and called for and is part of the job. Also be a shoulder they can lean on. Thanks to all LEO who risk their lives for us daily.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
If he wants to talk about it he will. I have worked with guys for years never knowing they had been involved in an OIS. Some people talk about it, some dont. Some it has only come out after we reached a certain level of trust and companionship.... he will let you know
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell him thank you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If he wants to talk about it he will. I have worked with guys for years never knowing they had been involved in an OIS. Some people talk about it, some dont.
View Quote

This.
I worked with one guy who never talked about it and he had been in 5 shootings. We also had a Capt. who never shut up about his one OIS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks or the advice guys, truly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell him "Good job.  I'm here if you need anything."  Just once, then shut up about it.  Don't go nagging every other day, asking how he's doing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Ill admit,  i got all dusty eyed when a guy I rarely saw at work called me after I shot some fuckwit and offered his thoughts.

Just call and say thanks and youre glad hell be ok.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ask him if he wants to do normal stuff, like hang out, fishing, or what you would do together.  Don't pester him for details during that time.  If he wants to talk, and legally cleared let him.  Otherwise just do what you always have.  Getting back to normal and not talking about the incident is huge.
View Quote

This. He'll talk if he wants to get it off his chest. Be there for him like you normally would, don't make a big deal out of it.

Haven't shot anybody, but been shot myself and had friends go through some other fucked up stuff (one that's a deputy recently lost a finger and almost his entire gun hand in a freak accident with an airboat prop) and just doing normal stuff is nice, especially when you're injured. After a while people stop checking up on you and coming by to see you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree with the info above. Find a relaxing activity for him to enjoy. Anything stressful isn't good. He won't have the patience.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Buy him a bottle of bullet rye. Tell him hundred of us say thank you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Spoke with him today finally. I told him he was a hero, he denied it.

While shot in both legs he was on his back, popping up to exchange fire with the shooter, and falling back for cover. He emptied two mags on the mutt while covering his partner, radioing in updates, directing the public on the street to take cover, and keeping the mutt pinned down until backup arrived. The arresting officers had to taze the guy to cuff him. While they were cuffing him, he had the peace of mind to apply tourniquets to each of his own legs. Sounds like a fucking hero to me.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link to news story?

Another no description suspect, at least this one is dead and both cops will recover.

There is a war brewing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

While shot in both legs he was on his back, popping up to exchange fire with the shooter, and falling back for cover. He emptied two mags on the mutt while covering his partner, radioing in updates, directing the public on the street to take cover, and keeping the mutt pinned down until backup arrived. The arresting officers had to taze the guy to cuff him. While they were cuffing him, he had the peace of mind to apply tourniquets to each of his own legs. Sounds like a fucking hero to me.

View Quote

Heroes usually donmt claim the title willingly. You know how things stand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Been on the receiving end myself. Never fired a shot. Its a long road, unfortunately, for your buddy.  God bless him and his family. Be safe out there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Another no description suspect, at least this one is dead and both cops will recover.

There is a war brewing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link to news story?

There is a war brewing.

Some people want to live in denial though.

Its going to be ugly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I second that wholeheartedly!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]
BZ to your friend
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#32]
My advice is to always say something. One of my friends had an on duty shoot and killed a guy (though he wasn't shot). I struggled on what to say so I didn't. Years later he told me that he thought out of everyone, he expected and needed to hear from me.  In time of need I let him down.  Glad you talked and he is going to be ok.  Dude sounds like a badass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Continued support while everyone Monday Morning Quarterbacks him, that's what I've done for my friend Erin when she was shot, and killed the perp in her OIS.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just be ready to support him when the my baby didn't do nuthin crowd comes after him.
View Quote

This here
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thirded

Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top