Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2015 3:18:04 PM EDT
So I went today and I am a candidate for either one. My questions are who has had it done before and how did it turn out? I am a little nervous about not going to lie. I am leaning towards the PRK as I am a Fireman and do a lot of outdoor activities. Is there a reason I should go with the lasik over PRK? How did it turn out for you is there anything else I should look at. I am only having 1 eye done as my other eye is almost 20/20.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
PRK is less invasive (and therefore more conservative of a surgery) is it is a reshaping of the cornea, and not a reshaping of the lens, as LASIK does.  PRK has about 25 years of data and history behind it, while LASIK started around 2006, IIRC.

PRK has a longer, more painful recovery time than LASIK, but long-term has fewer side effects (dry eye is pretty common in LASIK).  There's also no chance of having the flap come loose in PRK.  OTOH, LASIK recovery is quicker, the corrections can be a little more graduated than with PRK, and the recovery period itself is more comfortable.

Don't know how old you are or your plans, but if you're planning on entering the military, PRK is definitely accepted, and at least three years ago the military was hesitant to admit anyone who had LASIK into the physically demanding career fields (pilot, SEAL, etc.).  That may have changed.  

I had PRK done in 2003 (USAF paid for it).  The biggest problem with PRK is it basically burns off the nerve endings in your eye that tells the tear ducts "send water."  So until those nerve endings grow back, your eyes aren't wet enough. Imagine the worst case of dry eye you've ever experienced.  Now throw a teaspoon of silica gel in there, and maybe some sand. For the first couple of weeks, every time you wake up, your eyes will feel glued shut, and you have to use little lubricating eye drops just to get them to open.  As a result, recovery can be...uncomfortable.  

But the results are AMAZING.  I went from 20/70 (L) and 20/100+ with a HUGE astigmatism (R) to 20/12.   Wish I had done it ten years earlier.  Downside is, I can't see the rear sight on any of my rifles anymore.    I do get halos around lights at night, but they're not distracting, and I only notice them when I look for them.  The dry eyes stopped being a daily problem about two months after the surgery, and by six months I had stopped using the eye drops entirely.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I had Lasik done in 2009.  Love it.  Best money I've spent.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Had PRK done around '98 or so.  My experiences were similar to the first  post.

I will need reading glasses soon.  Some halos.  Takes slightly longer for my eyes to adjust from distance to near.  

Overall I am extremely pleased and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Never had the dry eyes.  

Went from 20/150 to 20/15.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will need reading glasses soon..
View Quote

I have had multiple doctors tell me this is not a function of PRK or LASIK, but time.  As you get older the muscles that allow your eyes to focus up close get weaker.  No stopping it. The surgery was 12 years ago, and I've been using granny glasses for just the last five.  Bought two five-packs of +1.5s at CVS, and have a pair in every room in the house, plus one in each car.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]
ICL

If you can afford it, recommend ICL
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I had iLasik done in 2010.  Went from 20/200 to 20/17.  Have had no issues since.

To answer the military question, I was able to enlist with a medical waiver in 2012 for a USAF/ANG flying job (non-pilot) needing a Class III flight physical, so it can be done.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the input, I like that ICL. Did you have it done? has anyone here had it done? That sounds really cool I will look into it more. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I did wavefront lasik.  My doc said it is very different now and none of the previous issues with lasik are still around.  Basically he used to recommend PRK to us (firemen, cops, military, etc) but now he recommends wavefront lasik.  I am ecstatic with the outcome of mine.  

He said pilots can now use lasik due to the new technology but I can't confirm that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ICL

View Quote

Ballpark cost?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ICL

View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's what the wife unit just had done earlier this year.  Then touched up with lasik.  Recovery was pretty quick, but she will be on the eye drops for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The wife said implanted contacts are about $4k each.  Lasik is around $2k each.

If I'm remembering right, she was cleared to drive again after only a day or two of recovery.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I had it earlier this year, the only viable option I had. Ballpark cost was 3500 per eye.

Quick and painless, there was some light sensitivity, and I had some previous nerve damage in the left..that isn't going away. Despite all that, incredible results- 20/20 in the right and 20/40 in the left
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I had my LASIK done in January 1999, no issues so far
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Had lasik in June.  Not much of a benefit yet.  Pretty bummed out actually.  Some days it's pretty clear - some days it's not.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I got the PRK on friday afternoon. Vision is still blurry but colors seem brighter. Vision will get better as my eye heals up, its suppose to take a few weeks. Pretty sensitive to light right now as its only been a couple of days. Thanks for everyones input.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I got the PRK on friday afternoon. Vision is still blurry but colors seem brighter. Vision will get better as my eye heals up, its suppose to take a few weeks. Pretty sensitive to light right now as its only been a couple of days. Thanks for everyones input.
View Quote

Updated sitrep?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
tagged for info and questions.

I know some of this is dependent on the individual and I know I need to talk to a doctor about some of this

How long does a Lasik or PRK last?

Can it be redone?

My distant vision is more of an issue for me than up close vision, is PRK o Lasik even an option?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#18]
tagged, planning on one of these procedures at some point. Contacts suck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Its been just over three weeks and everything is still pretty blurry. It takes between 3-6 months to achieve best vision. If your intrested do a google for PRK healing times. There is a few blogs that go day by day with lots of good info. Although blurry out of the eye I had done I think I see just as good as before right now but all the colors are much brighter and sharper then they were. Sounds weird I know, can't wait for 3-6 months to come around!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I forgot to add, while my vision is blurry right now when I look through a scope everything is crystal clear! I was very surprised at this as looking through scopes has never really "corrected" my vision before, I took my 6 year old out in the back yard. (He runs a Rascal .22 threaded and suppresed with a cabela's scope) He was having trouble hitting the target so I had to check the scope and sight it in again. I looked through it not even thinking about it being blurry but was amazed at how clear everything was! Awesome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top