Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 5:34:15 PM EDT
I'm an EMT-B and am starting all my continuing education for my recert. On the NREMT website I see that I need at least 6 months of employment in a patient care position. I have applied and been actively trying to get hired in EMS, but have been unsuccessful in that so far. Mostly because I am currently only an EMT-B without my Fire I, II. None of my local (within a reasonable drive) fire departments take volunteers, would doing ride alongs count towards my "6 months of employment?"

I'm also planning to start volunteering at a local free medical clinic doing basic vitals, checking patients in, etc; would that count towards the employment requirement? Or do the volunteer hours have to been on an ambulance?

I have confirmed with the NREMT that volunteering at least once a month, for 6 months would count as employment to them. The rest of my questions went unanswered due to the lady I spoke with being less that helpful and cutting the call off short.

I'm not worried about continuing ed stuff, have most of it out of the way and my refresher course is in a few weeks and I'm enrolled for a paramedic program starting in this fall.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NREMT once again shows some of their brilliance. .

I would think that they want to make sure you're using your skills, not just pushing a chair. The volunteering you are investigating should apply, but I'm attempting to use logic concerning a certification question.

ETA - might want to update your title to NREMT guys get in here.
View Quote

Thanks, I did update the title.

I sure hope it does apply, because its one of my only real options to interact with patients. At the clinic I could also do roughly the same in their needle exchange program, which I'm sure would be very interesting. Dealing with addicts wouldn't be anything new though, on the ride alongs/ER clinicals I've done its generally just been meth heads being meth heads.

If I didn't plan on moving out my state after I'm done with school, I'd just let my NREMT creds expire because we just have to meet the state level and keep that license active to still practice.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never heard of ridealongs counting for employement hours, technically you aren't even suppose to touch pts on ride alongside.
Before I got hired fulltime, I volunteered as a firefighter/EMT.  This maintained emt, even though it was volunteer, it still counts as patient contacts.  Several other people got jobs with ambulance co. And hospitals working as ER/Med surge techs to keep their emt certs up while they tested. And if you have a my, ski patrol counted and Emt work in my state.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never heard of ridealongs counting for employement hours, technically you aren't even suppose to touch pts on ride alongside.
Before I got hired fulltime, I volunteered as a firefighter/EMT.  This maintained emt, even though it was volunteer, it still counts as patient contacts.  Several other people got jobs with ambulance co. And hospitals working as ER/Med surge techs to keep their emt certs up while they tested. And if you have a my, ski patrol counted and Emt work in my state.

View Quote

My major problem with volunteer Emt work is that none of the departments near me accept volunteers, they're all ride alongs only. The only ones that are volunteer are, only volunteer and don't have full time guys at all.

So if working as an ER tech counts as patient interactiin, I think I could use a taking vitals and history at a minute clinic as that interaction. I'm just not sure, and don't want to be sol when the time comes to fully recert.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My major problem with volunteer Emt work is that none of the departments near me accept volunteers, they're all ride alongs only. The only ones that are volunteer are, only volunteer and don't have full time guys at all.

So if working as an ER tech counts as patient interactiin, I think I could use a taking vitals and history at a minute clinic as that interaction. I'm just not sure, and don't want to be sol when the time comes to fully recert.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rules state you must be employed as an EMT or in a healthcare facility using your EMS skills. Basic skills include vitals, getting SAMPLE, etc as well as basic triage and O2. If you could get a letter from the facility stating that your duties include this you'll be fine as the rules are written now.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like they never updated their policies from the old days when they differentiated between EMT- Ambulance and EMT-Non Ambulance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rules state you must be employed as an EMT or in a healthcare facility using your EMS skills. Basic skills include vitals, getting SAMPLE, etc as well as basic triage and O2. If you could get a letter from the facility stating that your duties include this you'll be fine as the rules are written now.

Sounds like they never updated their policies from the old days when they differentiated between EMT- Ambulance and EMT-Non Ambulance.

Maybe so, that'd be before my time. The pertinent section is here:

16. Do I need to be practicing in EMS to recertify?
The NREMT requires all individuals applying for recertification to be actively affiliated with an agency and using their EMS skills at their provider level. An agency may include fire departments, EMS response units, hospitals, hazmat response teams, rescue teams, private companies who provide EMS care to employees, etc.

Individuals who are not currently using their EMS skills, but who meet the education requirements may recertify as Inactive.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16. Do I need to be practicing in EMS to recertify?
The NREMT requires all individuals applying for recertification to be actively affiliated with an agency and using their EMS skills at their provider level. An agency may include fire departments, EMS response units, hospitals, hazmat response teams, rescue teams, private companies who provide EMS care to employees, etc.

Individuals who are not currently using their EMS skills, but who meet the education requirements may recertify as Inactive.

Thats what I was looking for! Thank you, I must have glossed over it somehow. I'll double check with the clinic I'm gonna volunteer at, but I believe they are considered a hospital in the sense of providing non-emergency care.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yeah, you used to have to do ride time to qualify for the "A" designation. I was when I submitted my application in time to qualify before the change, but got the new designation "Basic" which didn't differentiate between the two.
Okay so it was back in nineteen eighty something...

Oh, piss off, youngster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, you used to have to do ride time to qualify for the "A" designation. I was when I submitted my application in time to qualify before the change, but got the new designation "Basic" which didn't differentiate between the two.

Quoted:

Maybe so, that'd be before my time.

Oh, piss off, youngster.

Nationally registered Paramedics aren't even EMT-Paramedics anymore, as far as NR is concerned, my card just says Paramedic. NR does some good things, but dealing with them is a PITA. The only reason I keep mine up is so if I could teach one day. Texas only requires it for initial certification.

I took mine in the last few years of paper testing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh, piss off, youngster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe so, that'd be before my time.

Oh, piss off, youngster.

Youngster?!?! Hey, I'll be thirty in a few weeks!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
It should count. Also you really only have to worry about it if you get audited (which not many do).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top