Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2015 3:38:27 PM EDT
Well the unthinkable has happened, my small agency has changed its weapons policy and now allows almost any make, model, and action in semi-autos in 9mm, .40, 357sig, 10mm, and 45acp.

I am a plain clothes detective and the only requirement is to conceal our weapons in public and be very incognito.

I cant decide on what to carry now. I have always been very partial to 1911's and they fell very ME, but I can hit quicker and slightly more accurately with glocks, plus lots more capacity.

I can't decide between these 3 guns. Keeping in mind I train regularly and take a defensive pistol course with my own coin once a year.

Glock 34, my standard carry gun that I carried with my previous agency for many years while in uniform. Boring, easy to shoot, and accurate. Loaded with 124gr +p gold-dots.

Glock 20, because I can.....Never been able to carry a 10mm for work, loaded with Underwood 180gr gold-dots (yes that load was approved from the top).

Springfield TRP Operator (half rail), currently have 1000+ rounds through it with 0 malfunctions, has lots of style and very happy with it, but it is lower capacity. Will be loaded with 230gr gold-dots.

I could go on and on about the pluses and minuses of the 3 guns. What would you guys choose out of the above 3?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of your list, my vote would be for the G34.......I like the capacity and the balance of the pistol. It is a great shooter.

For my own list, it would be a toss up between the G17 or a G21 (Both Gen4's).......
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Glock 34, my standard carry gun that I carried with my previous agency for many years while in uniform. Boring, easy to shoot, and accurate. Loaded with 124gr +p gold-dots.
View Quote

Man, I don't have anything against any of your choices. But there's a lot to be said for the muscle memory you've built up over all those years in a boring, easy to shoot, and accurate platform. I just don't see any reason to change that. If anything, given the plainclothes, concealed nature of your new job, I'd be tempted to roll down to a G19 (assuming it fits your hands).
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the 20, I love mine and wish I could carry it at work but I'm with 9mm, 40, 357 or 45 so I carry the issued 21 but I am going to be switching to my personal 17 after our next qualification
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
We are issued Sig 1911's with a rail.  A buddy of mine carries a Springfield Operator.  It's a nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I cant decide on what to carry now. I have always been very partial to 1911's and they fell very ME, but I can hit quicker and slightly more accurately with glocks, plus lots more capacity.
View Quote

Whichever model you go with, nothing beats fast & accurate!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
TRP Operator or Glock 20
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a G21 on duty and for court or any other detail I carry a 1911... Go with what YOU wanna carry
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel your pain.  A couple years ago my department also opened up to allowing us to carry common caliber semi's as long as they are approved by the department and rangemaster, so I went through much the same you are going through right now.

I'm not in a detective capacity, I still work patrol, so I went with my XD-45tactical.

From your choices, I would go with the TRP professional and just get yourself a Wilson 8 rounder for in the gun and a 10 rounder or 2 for reloads.  As a detective, you should carry a set of cuffs and safariland makes a nice single mag pouch/cuff case combination.

You can't go wrong with either of the Glocks, my only concern on the 10mm would be if the department is going to furnish the ammo for qualification and training.  If they ARE going to furnish it and buy it, then that's no longer a con.

But as I said, you can't really go wrong with any of the above, but between the three, I would probably end up with the TRP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Im tempted to say go with the glock but being that you arent working uniform the TRP wouldnt leave me feeling under gunned. I carry a G21 but thats all we are allowed/provided. Luckily i love the thing, and im assigned to special operations so im allowed to carry with a weapon mounted light (patrol and plain clothes arent authorized for some reason). Just go with what you shoot well and are the most comfortable with.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Go TRP or spring for a STI perfect 10.  1911 style, 10mm crusher and 22rnd capacity with the big mags.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
the  one you have years of muscle memory and good results with, unless you really need to go a lot smaller. Style doesn't matter here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the  one you have years of muscle memory and good results with, unless you really need to go a lot smaller. Style doesn't matter here.
View Quote

My take on this.

When the SHTF you will not be thinking straight. You will INSTANTLY fall back on your training and whatever you have trained with will be what you want to have.

Not a cop, but my 2 cents worth.

FWIW even though I used to build 1911s I carry a 5 hole wheel gun for CCW. Keep it simple.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a cop but have taken care of many in the ER. My conversations and experience with them tells me
csrry the gun you could operate most easily

While struggling with somebody
With one hand out of action
While your hand was covered in blood
After just having your bell rung

Probably the one you have most experience with would fit his bill.

Best wishes and stay safe.  

Back to GD.  I accidentally entered wrong forum but ran into this,topic

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd carry the G34.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I would carry  what you have muscle memory for and whatever naturally points best for you. I started with an M&P and but natural point of aim was always low with them and my hand wouldn't fill the upper part of the grip beneath the beaver tail. I loved Sigs and they pointed great for me but I shoot thumbs high from my time shooting 1911's so magazines would never lock back so I decided to go with the Sig X-5 tactical. It points great, single action only, plus get 20+1 rounds of 9mm and carry another 60 rounds on my belt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Since you're an officer I'd say carry absolutely what shoots best. You said glocks are faster and more accurate. No brainer. Use the glock. Can you get significantly faster shots out of the 34 than you can the 20? If not, go with the 20. The 20 brings some serious firepower. Worth it to lose the extra 2 shots capacity if you can still shoot it quick. Or you can go with a long slide glock 20, a glock 40 I believe they call it. Get the best of both worlds. Now that would be a sweet duty piece.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're looking for ergos... Maybe the HKVP9? If it were me and I was pain clothes... I'd personally pick the Glock 19(23,33... Whatever flavor you like) if concealabilty were an issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Glock 19 or 26.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
As a detective I'd go with the G20. Other guns are bigger and heavier.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]
The gun you shoot best is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Man, I don't have anything against any of your choices. But there's a lot to be said for the muscle memory you've built up over all those years in a boring, easy to shoot, and accurate platform. I just don't see any reason to change that. If anything, given the plainclothes, concealed nature of your new job, I'd be tempted to roll down to a G19 (assuming it fits your hands).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This saved me a lot of typing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#24]
34 is a great duty weapon. But for non-uniformed carry, possibly CC? Either a 19 or a 26 with a +2 extension.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I hate to deviate from the list you have, but you really need to take a hard look at a G19 for your described assignment.  Boring reliability, accurate, easy to maintain, good capacity and easy to shoot well.  Parts and accessories are everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Haven't heard back from the OP...what did you decide to do?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I was going to carry the Glock 34, but a Glock 41 came available 2 days before quals.

I had a bad experience with a G41 when they first came out, with multiple FTF and FTE, sent it back to glock, they replaced a lot of the internals in the frame. Shot it more and still had problems, so I sold it to a friend and he sent it back twice more to get it running.

Anyway, I put about 500rds perfect rounds through the new g41, and it shot just as well as my g34.

Qualled with it and got a perfect score.

I was going to go with a the G20, but was informed a day after making this thread that I now have to fly around the country and pick up our warrant prisoners and fly them back to stand trial (the uppity ups said they needed someone they could trust.....more like they know I would do what is asked) so since I'm away from my AO I wanted a caliber that I could resupply with anywhere and I felt that 10mm could not fulfill that criteria.

My first stop in the next week or 2 will be Montana.....Yay.....  Love seeing the country on the govs dime, but wish I could actually enjoy it
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Of those three, I'd go with the TRP.  It's what I used to carry.  What can I say, I'm a 1911 guy.

But if capacity is a worry, you could use this as an opportunity to upgrade.  I went from a TRP operator 45acp to an STI 2011 in 9mm to have more lead on hand to deliver at high speed.  From 8 and 10 rd mags to 17 and 20 rd mags.  Love the new piece.

Old duty piece

New duty piece

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Glad the 41 worked out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top