Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 8:21:45 PM EDT
I'm not a LEO.  I live in a rural area at least 1 hour from any LEO response.  In case i need to restrain someone until help arrives, which disposable handcuffs do you think appropriate?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
2 pair of heavy duty zip-ties work fine. Or you can buy flex cuffs.

You have to look at the dangers of trying to cuff someone though. Knowing what I know if some random guy was attempting to detain me I'd wait until he was in the process of cuffing me to make a move. If you live in a rural location assuming violent subject are you willing to go hands on to cuff him? You have to put the gun away to do so.  That's when its going to turn into a fight, when you go hands on.  Even if you have another person assisting you it can go bad fast.

If you think your going to hold him at gunpoint and toss him the cuffs and make him cuff himself, what are you going to do if he says no? At that point you have to put the gun away and go hands on... And its going to be on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy Flex Cuffs or "Riot" cuffs for less than $1 each.  The only thing to keep in mind is they will get brittle and break if it is freezing outside.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Another thing to consider,  how knowledgeable are you off the criminal statutes in your area? Unless you are sure the act being committed Mets ALL of the elements of a crime I would be hesitant to physic as lly restrain someone. Sounds like a good way to catch a form of kidnapping charge. .. just another something to think of. For law enforcement handcuffing is a use of force and must be justified
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Use regular cuffs. Why do they need to be disposable?

The poster above ignores an important aspect. If you are holding someone against their will illegally, it doesn't matter if they are cuffed or not
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Handcuffing people who don't want to be handcuffed by non-LEO's, who aren't trained in their use, miles away from help is a situation just asking for trouble.
Motivated people can/do break out of zip-cuffs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use regular cuffs. Why do they need to be disposable?

The poster above ignores an important aspect. If you are holding someone against their will illegally, it doesn't matter if they are cuffed or not
View Quote

Touche salseman
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Handcuffing people who don't want to be handcuffed by non-LEO's, who aren't trained in their use, miles away from help is a situation just asking for trouble.
Motivated people can/do break out of zip-cuffs.
View Quote

OP here.

But wait, I've seen 6 episodes of CSI.  I can surely handcuff a violent, drug crazed career criminal by myself. How hard can it be?

Really, I wouldn't even think of approaching someone I wanted to detain without significant help.  I also wouldn't think of detaining someone without a verrrrry good reason.

I just thought for $20, it wouldn't hurt to have some restraints around.  Might also be good to threaten the grand kids with.  I mentioned it to the wife and she gave me this really weird look, then she smiled.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I mentioned it to the wife and she gave me this really weird look, then she smiled.
View Quote

For her, get the padded restraints. Much better than the standard metal handcuffs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I have never been in a situation where I wanted disposable cuffs instead of real cuffs.  I believe that In state side law enforcement there is no reason to not use real cuffs.  Same would apply here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top