Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 9:38:36 AM EDT
Like most agencies, we have been doing simmunitions / FX training for years now.  We started with the Simmunitions brand face mask, and while it works OK, we have always had issues with them fogging up. The training is not as effective when the student can't see well due to the inability to see through the goggles.   We have tried every off the shelf anti-fog spray or treatment to try and prevent it, but have had no luck.  Also, for the money, we are not terribly happy with the quality of the masks.  Do any of you have recommendations for masks (and gloves) to facilitate better training?  An option that works well with eye glasses is mandatory--many students cannot wear their prescription glasses with the current face masks, which only exacerbates the problem..

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Like most agencies, we have been doing simmunitions / FX training for years now.  We started with the Simmunitions brand face mask, and while it works OK, we have always had issues with them fogging up. The training is not as effective when the student can't see well due to the inability to see through the goggles.   We have tried every off the shelf anti-fog spray or treatment to try and prevent it, but have had no luck.  Also, for the money, we are not terribly happy with the quality of the masks.  Do any of you have recommendations for masks (and gloves) to facilitate better training?  An option that works well with eye glasses is mandatory--many students cannot wear their prescription glasses with the current face masks, which only exacerbates the problem..

Thanks
View Quote

I just throw on a decent paintball mask.  Most of them don't cover the top of your head (mine don't) so I wear a ball cap backwards. If I'm not wearing a heavy vest I either use a scarf or neck protector for my throat and a folded wash rag over my dick (tucked into my pants).

As for gloves I don't wear anything special. If its an older building kinda nasty/close up stuff I wear base-ball gloves (which is what I wear on duty). If its more open I don't wear gloves.

Honestly though sometimes I just rock the paintball mask with nothing else... Depends on how hot it is and what the scenario is likely to be.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
For PPE I have been wearing the following:

Smith Optics Goggles
Airsoft Mask (PX Airsoft?)--it is a mesh mask that will make you think you are the bad guy from batman
Cheap Hockey Throat Guard
Hockey boxers with cup built in
Gloves vary, but something with knuckle protection is nice, as they always seem to get hit

The Airsoft mask is awesome, allows for easy breathing and will not fog the glasses/goggles up.

ETA: mine is all military style UTM training
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Paintball mask. Thats all we use. If our role players are feeling especially shooty I will take my soft trauma plate out of my vest carrier and hang it over my dong and use my belt to hold it in place.... oh yea, and I try to wear my man pants... its force on force training, if you get shot its supposed to hurt
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Paintball masks have always worked for me.  Never paid attention to the brand.  Sometime a ballcap backwards and sometime not.  Always a throat protector and usually flight gloves.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You probably have some of the older Simunitions gear
Look at their newer stuff
We also hated their older stuff but don't have as many fogging issues with their newer stuff
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Get a product called "Cat Crap." http://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488 Its a paste that you put on and then buff off that is made for inside of ski goggles etc. Works great.

We all just use paint ball masks. I know that my mask I can wear my glasses with if I am not wearing my contacts.

Some guys also just shove a towel down the front of their pants for "protection" but I  just wear a cup and most of us that train this way often do too.

J-
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Paintball mask. Throat cover. Glovrs .  and groin protection.   We circumcized a guy with a 9mm Sims
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top